cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM CARD NOT SHOWING IN PHONE

krystlemcdowall
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, 

I lost my phone and had to purchase a new sim card and yesterday I changed the number on the self serve site, it worked without any problem. Then today I had to switch phones and when I put the SIM card into the new phone it doesnt show up. It says " NO SIM- EMERGENCY CALLS ONLY". The troubleshooting I've done so far is:

1. Check to make sure the phone is unlocked , compatible with the frequency and not blacklisted.

2. Reset the phone and updated the software

3. Removed and put the sim back in

4. Tried another active sim card in the phone (it worked) 

5. Tried the sim card in another phone (it still did not show up)

6. Made sure the number was imput correctly (I put it in again to make sure)

7. Made sure the account was active

8. Put a small shim behind the sim in case it wasnt fitting properly

The new phone is a Samsung Galaxy J7 Star (SM-J7373T1)

If anyone can think of anything else I'd sincerely appreciate it. I really need the phone to work. Thanks

27 REPLIES 27

DOA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@krystlemcdowall wrote:

I ended up buying another SIM. It sucks though that I cant even use that sim as a backup, its essentially useless.

Not entirely useless; someone made another 10 bucks off your binned SIM.

I've blown a few myself; even static electricity can zap them.  Now I make sure I touch something grounded before I remove them.  And put one foot in a bathtub filled with water.

I miss the old days when telcos gave them away.  They cost about 2 cents to make . . .

Long may your new SIM run.

krystlemcdowall

I ended up buying another SIM. It sucks though that I cant even use that sim as a backup, its essentially useless.

@Rosguru wrote:

Hi

Have you checked the APN settings?  Some phones automatically work but some need you to manually put them in.

@Rosguru 

APN settings are only relevant for data service.

The problem here is no access to any service.

Rosguru
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi

Have you checked the APN settings?  Some phones automatically work but some need you to manually put them in.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@krystlemcdowall My experiment, should you wish to try yet another, is to report SIM/phone lost, then reactivate using the problematic SIM. Though my money's on an account glitch since it initally worked.

To survive until it's sorted try Textnow app on wifi.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Clive2

Thanks for the heads up

iPhoneUser

Clean the SIM card gently with a pencil eraser. Make sure is seated in sim tray properly and sim tray is inserted into phone properly. Last thing we need is a sim in your phone upside down. Try in another phone. If all fails buy another SIM card. 

@Clive2 wrote:

You can search compatible PM phones on the web site

@Clive2 , they have done that there is a list in the first post as to what they have tried already.  As well there is no need to make one sentence posts especially when they are the same topic in the same thread.  If you forgot something and want to add it to your post you can click the three dots in the corner of your post and select edit post.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Clive2 wrote:

Maybe the phone you put it in is not compatible with PM some phones will not work with PM

@Clive2 

Original post:

@krystlemcdowall wrote:

Hi, 

I lost my phone and had to purchase a new sim card and yesterday I changed the number on the self serve site, it worked without any problem. Then today I had to switch phones and when I put the SIM card into the new phone it doesnt show up. It says " NO SIM- EMERGENCY CALLS ONLY". The troubleshooting I've done so far is:

1. Check to make sure the phone is unlocked , compatible with the frequency and not blacklisted.

2. Reset the phone and updated the software

3. Removed and put the sim back in

4. Tried another active sim card in the phone (it worked) 

5. Tried the sim card in another phone (it still did not show up)

6. Made sure the number was imput correctly (I put it in again to make sure)

7. Made sure the account was active

8. Put a small shim behind the sim in case it wasnt fitting properly

The new phone is a Samsung Galaxy J7 Star (SM-J7373T1)

If anyone can think of anything else I'd sincerely appreciate it. I really need the phone to work. Thanks

Clive2

You can search compatible PM phones on the web site

Clive2

Maybe the phone you put it in is not compatible with PM some phones will not work with PM

krystlemcdowall

Hopefully. Thank you for all your help!

krystlemcdowall

It wasnt the first phone I had it in just a friends phone (we switched ) but perhaps it got damaged or I deactivated it

@krystlemcdowall wrote:

I tried something similar prior to posting (#8 I think) unfortunately it did not help

Thanks for the reminder.

Hope Moderators can help. Otherwise it does look like you'll need a new SIM.

krystlemcdowall

Thats what I thinking but I just thought that it was weird it worked fine yesterday after i initially changed it in a different phone now it doesnt show up

krystlemcdowall

I tried something similar prior to posting (#8 I think) unfortunately it did not help

@krystlemcdowall wrote:

I'll have to ask the moderator if I deactivated it by mistake

@krystlemcdowall  If you put the sim card in the original phone and it shows the same error then you more than likely deactivated the sim card. Hopefully the moderators can fix it otherwise you will need a new sim card. Not sure why the system allowed you to re-enter the same number though.

Master2000

If you SIM is not detected in any phone, it is defect.
Your phone should see you SIM even if the SIM is not activated.
An inactivated SIM will show EMERGENCY CALLS ONLY but not NO SIM.

[SIM needed replacing; see final post. Looking at 1st post key clue is #4 and #5 ........ Luddite]

@krystlemcdowall There's a possibility the SIM card might not be making full contact in your phone tray. Can you try attaching a piece of tape onto the back of the SIM card and then retry it?

krystlemcdowall

Unfortunately I cant check it in the other phone again. It was a loaner for the day and I dont have access to it anymore.  I tried it in another phone though and it didn't show up, it doesn't look damaged and came out easily but perhaps its something I cant see

@krystlemcdowall Good idea to ask Moderators for assistance.

To submit a ticket: Click the green question mark at bottom and enter your question into SIMon. Answer the prompts until you get to the Contact Us button, click it and a Submit Ticket button should appear.

If you encounter problems with submitting a ticket, you can also send a private message to Moderators, but this alternate contact method may have longer response time.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

If the SIM card was working in the first phone, is it possible to put it back into that phone to make sure it's not damaged?  Switching a SIM card from phone to phone is generally very safe.  It is possible to bend contacts if the SIM tray is inserted at an angle and forced in. This is very unlikely.

krystlemcdowall

I'll have to ask the moderator if I deactivated it by mistake

krystlemcdowall

Perhaps...the last four digits matched the new sim but I wasnt sure If i had mis-entered any of the others. Inputting it again didn't change anything though, it wasnt showing up before or after

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@krystlemcdowall  so you went to Change sim card twice and entered the number?  I am not sure if the second time you did it may have deactivated the sim and then it couldn't be activated again.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

krystlemcdowall

Yes, I have tried that (#3 on my list) Thank you for the suggestion 😊

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@krystlemcdowall 

Make sure the SIM is properly inserted. Restart your phone.

1. On the right side of the phone, insert the SIM tray removal tool into the hole on the SIM card/memory card tray, and then push until the tray pops out.
  2. Place the SIM card on the tray. Make sure that the gold contacts face down and the card is placed as shown.

The SIM card goes in the bottom slot on the SIM/SD card holder. Place the back cover onto the back of the device and press down.

Need Help? Let's chat.