cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers waiving long distance and roaming!

oshax
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

PM, are you going to step up in the face of this crisis? 

Rogers will be waiving long-distance and roaming fees along with data usage caps on home internet amid the COVID-19 outbreak

https://www.google.com/amp/s/toronto.citynews.ca/2020/03/16/rogers-waiving-long-distance-fees-data-u...

EDIT: THANKS PM FOR LISTENING! 

18 REPLIES 18

@killerofmusic  Hangouts will only use data...as long as you're on WiFi it won't use your plan data either.

oshax

Looks like they did it! Thanks PM! 

@killerofmusic...another option for you is to consider the $5 / 500 minutes of Canada wide calling add-on. Any unused add-on minutes at renewal, will just keep rolling over until you use them up. It's a good option to have on a limited calling plan such as yours.

I can also vouch for TextNow...works good as long as you have a good wifi signal. Most schools, libraries, cafe's and others have free wifi nowaday.

killerofmusic
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

YES this is what i needed. 

One question though. If i make a call via hangouts dialer after verifying my cell phone number. Would this count towards my outgoing minutes in public? I am on $15 plan so would be nice to use hangouts dialer when i have wifi. 

Thanks

"Can you have the same number as you cell phone on this app? I reckon not. 

thanks"

@killerofmusic  If you are using Android you can use Hangouts Dialer and verify you number so outgoing calls anywhere in NA over WiFi will show your cell number.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@killerofmusic 

No you can't have same number.

But you can use the app to check your voicemail.

Open app..call your cell number.

Decline the call.

When your voicemail starts to play...press * star. Enter voicemail password and listen to your voicemail without wasting any outgoing call minutes on your Public Mobile plan.

ecowen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I love TEXT NOW.  As for free roaming in the US,  we shouldn't be travelling there anyway.  Especially into WA.  The border is liable to be closed anyway.

@killerofmusic 

Public mobile gave everyone a Christmas gift last year. 1gig of data and 400 international calling minutes. That was very nice of them to share the Christmas spirit.

killerofmusic

@Jb456 

As a student on $15 plan, any buck I can save helps me. I already downloaded the app and started on it. Its awesome. Thanks a lot. 

Can you have the same number as you cell phone on this app? I reckon not. 

thanks

killerofmusic

To be honest. 

Public mobile already has pretty cheap prepaid plans. On the other hand people in contracts usually have unforeseen charges on their data and such, where as we dont. Well it would be nice if public could introduce some free Add ons such as 1GB data or a few hundred international minutes no roaming minutes. That would be a nice gesture. But its fine if that doesn't happen either. 

@killerofmusic 

Yes its very good. You can use it no matter where in the world you travel as long as you have WiFi.

Also a great App for people on $15 plans...or even old $10 plan...you can save your outgoing minutes by using the app to call your voicemail.

killerofmusic

@Jb456 

Wow thats an awesome app. I am going to try that right now. 

Thanks a lot. 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@oshax  Public Mobile only offers roaming add-ons in USA.

What you can do is download TEXTNOW app. You get a Canadian number in your area which will allow you to call/text USA and Canada numbers for FREE over Wi-Fi. People can even leave you a voicemail when you're not online.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@oshax wrote:

PM, are you going to step up in the face of this crisis? 

@oshax  We will have to wait and see.

Rogers will be waiving long-distance and roaming fees along with data usage caps on home internet amid the COVID-19 outbreak

Does not apply to PM since they are prepaid and don't offer Home Internet. To be fair you need to compare apples with apples and see what Chatr and Lucky are offering.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/toronto.citynews.ca/2020/03/16/rogers-waiving-long-distance-fees-data-u...

oshax

I'm hoping a free roaming package for those in need with families stuck abroad. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Public Mobile only has US roaming. The equivalent would be free roaming in the US.  Let see if there will be a competitive response.  It would be a great gesture.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@oshax  And Bell is waving overages.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM is prepaid and there are no overages so not sure what PM would do if anything for Covid-19.

Need Help? Let's chat.