cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers and Fido waiving unlocking fees on outright device purchases ahead of CRTC deadline

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Why not unlock all phones now. Don't wait until Dec. 1st. All companies should start this asap.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/09/29/rogers-and-fido-waiving-unlocking-fee-outright/

11 REPLIES 11

TheOldVR

@MoreYummy wrote:

Dont bother to buy phone from carrier if you buy it outright, they make the cost higher.  Also the unlock fee is just a way to make more money.   Like @jayjay said, it doesnt happen on many other countries, and no need a law to force them to do the right thing.  

^^^ I'm with you @MoreYummy - this limits some purchase options but purchasing the phone properly unlocked is the way to go.

With that said, it appears that my days of wasting money on the bleeding edge phones are over, I'm quite happy with my cheap-o android phone and my iPhone 6s.... not to mention that spending over $1200 on a mobile phone just will never work for me.

Happy Wednesday peeps!

VR

Dont bother to buy phone from carrier if you buy it outright, they make the cost higher.  Also the unlock fee is just a way to make more money.   Like @jayjay said, it doesnt happen on many other countries, and no need a law to force them to do the right thing.  

jayjay
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

in my experience,locked phones is a north American thing.

total scam so they can hose you and not jump ship.

most of my phones for the last 12+ years where bought in Asia ,no such thing as a locked phone.

also I had a touch screen smart phone long before they were available in this part of the world.

funny now cause when I look back,people were asking why you keep touching your screen,well touch screen lol

mattdxb
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

That's partly why I've enjoyed using Nexus and Pixel phones for the past few years. It's not usually the best hardware but I don't worry about unlocking and software bloat. 

MK78
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I wonder how that works with sleazy Samsung, who locks to first sim even with unlocked phones bought directly from them.And loads the carrier bloat.

They do give you unlock codes, but that still prevents from easy SIM switching when traveling and locks you into the carrier roaming scheme.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Michael77, the very fact that it take rulemaking on the part of the CRTC to force carriers to play nice with unlocking devices says it all.  The carriers will do what is minimally required of them to be comply with the wireless code and nothing more.  December is fast approaching, just stay patient.  Besides, there are options to buying hardware from non carrier sources.

Mr-Bump
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It blows my mind that people will even pay Rogers full price for a phone. $1000 for an LG V20? The phone is being replaced this month.

jpar

Good news.

Michael77

@Wafik, @ShawnC13,

Very true.

Wafik

Because phone companies like making as much money as possible.  Rogers is in a leading position and can afford to start unlocking early to get good press, but in reality they are only doing this for phones you have paid in full up front.  If you did the same thing and just bought a phone direct from the company, it would be unlocked anyways.  So really this is just Rogers doing something they should have already been doing and trying to get good press over it.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

Yes they should, but they are not unlocking all phones.  You must purchase the phone outright to start with.  So anything that is financed through the company is still going to be locked is how I read it.  If you buy the phone outright from the start it should come unlocked anyway is my thought.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.