cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers/Unlocked Iphone 6 to PM questions

JayJits_invalid
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Coworker is considering switching from Rogers to PM.  She bought an Iphone 6 unlocked from Apple.

I was showing her today how you would have to set up the APN settings however it wasn't giving us this option.

She's ordering a SIM card regardless and will do what it takes to work with PM.

I've got a few questions if I could get answered, Thanks in advance.

1) Is it posible the Iphone 6 locked to Rogers once she inserted their SIM card?

2) If it's locked to their network should she use Rogers/Apple for the unlock code as she never intended the phone to become locked? The reason she bought it outright was to remain unlocked.

3) Without knowing if its unlocked or now locked to Rogers if she was to insert a SIM card from Pm would it allow her to access the APN settings?

4) If it's now locked to Rogers and she gets an unlock code how would/when should she unlock the Iphone? (insert new PM SIM, and use the unlock code then?, and then go through the PM set up process)

Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

DK
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

as previously mentioned by @Luddite if the phone is an apple store bought phone it will always be unlocked.  Just putting an active sim in should make reboot to the new network. If by chance it doesn't just cycle the airplane mode a few times and it should come to life.

If you originally received the tri-sim, you can actually re-assemble the nano sim to any size. Just gently push the nano sim out, then on a flat surface push it genty back into the empty "frame". I have done this several times without problem.

The other method to check whether the phone is unlocked is to find a friend on any carrier but Rogers with any iPhone 5, 5s, 5c, SE, 6, or 6s. Use their sim in her phone; if it's unlocked it will work.

I have never heard of an iPhone from the Apple store being locked to a carrier.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

JayJits_invalid
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

We thought about trying my PM SIM card in her phone to see if it would work. I'm using a micro SIM and she needs nano SIM. If I punched mine into a nano it wouldn't work in my phone any longer so we couldn't try it.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

1) No. Phones bought at the Apple store are unlocked. In the UK there have been some problems with "unlocked" phones locking to their first carrier. Does not seem to be an issue in Canada.

2) See 1)

3) Simply put your PM sim into her phone. It should work immediately. Alternatively, any other carrier sim. An inactive PM sim should say "No Service" when installed. If locked, the message is "Enter code".

4) Always unlock a phone before moving to another carrier.

The APN setting usually set automatically with the new sim.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.