cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Robocalls from spoofed numbers

steven
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi Community,

I know this is old, we are all getting so many spam calls from spoofed local numbers.

I am just wondering if the community has better ideas on how to block those type of calls, and also, to Public Mobile, why caller ID can be spoofed and when you will be upgrading your technology to stop spoofed numbers?

As per Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission:

The Commission concludes that Canadian carriers and other telecommunications service providers providing voice telecommunications services in Canada (TSPs) should be able to complete the implementation of the STIR [Secure Telephony Identity Revisited]/SHAKEN [Signature-based Handling of Asserted information using toKENs] framework in Canada to authenticate and verify caller identification (ID) information for Internet Protocol (IP)-based voice calls by no later than 30 September 2020. The Commission requests that TSPs and the CRTC Interconnection Steering Committee (CISC) file with it status reports as described in this decision.

So does Public Mobile implemented STIR/SHAKEN, if not, when it will be implemented? If yes, is STIR/SHAKEN not working as expected?

Thank you!

15 REPLIES 15

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

dominikd
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Telus already has a system in place for landlines that blocks all robocalls, which is what I want. Not sure if Telus mobility has it. I'd love it if Telus could share the technology with its other entities.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@steven wrote:

@dabr Yes, I started using PM before signing up in the community so been around for a long time now. I am definitely getting all the rewards and I know PM is offering great value to me.

I believe we should be able to continue getting that great value, as well as holding PM to the minimal standard (I consider all regulator's mandatory standard minimal). This is good for PM and helps them compete better in the long run anyway.

I am sure STIR/SHAKEN won't end SPAM but it is a good step forward, I am really looking forward to having someone from PM commenting on their plan and progress.

@steven   Oh absolutely agree with everything you've said, just have kind of become resigned to to the fact that changes around here are super slow!  

However, if the spoofing control  becomes mandatory because of government regulation/requirements, then that will definitely be good news for all of us. 

You can also tag your queries and concerns to Alan_K or Melinda_H (part of PM management team) directly and see if they will make some sort of response as to what PM is doing, if anything, in regards to this?

steven

@dabr Yes, I started using PM before signing up in the community so been around for a long time now. I am definitely getting all the rewards and I know PM is offering great value to me.

I believe we should be able to continue getting that great value, as well as holding PM to the minimal standard (I consider all regulator's mandatory standard minimal). This is good for PM and helps them compete better in the long run anyway.

I am sure STIR/SHAKEN won't end SPAM but it is a good step forward, I am really looking forward to having someone from PM commenting on their plan and progress.

steven

@fujiyama Thank you for the link, did not know that CRTC pushed back the deadline. It explained why we are not seeing it live yet.

Hoping that PM or Telus is on the right track to finishing the implementation by the new deadline.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@steven wrote:

@dabr LOL maybe someday I will accept that.

But let's give them the benefit of doubt, maybe they are actively implementing it and working on solutions, maybe they are more than just the deadline I posted. I hope someone from Public Mobile comments on my question.

@steven   Hey, most of us have been (and still do) keep giving PM the benefit of the doubt and keep hoping (wishful thinking, more like) that changes will be implemented sooner rather than later, but....  However, it's probably the best carrier out of the budget providers for savings with autopay discount and loyalty (after 1st year upto 5yrs) and community rewards and freebies once or twice a year of bonus data/mins too.   Plus add-ons don't expire.  Some of the reasons most of us stick around. 😁

Edit:  @steven   just noticed from your profile that you've been registered for the community since 2015, so one of PM's earliest customer?   That is if you also became a customer at the same time and would, therefore,  know all about the rewards and are getting PM's full loyalty discount!   Nice!

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

First time I've heard of STIR/SHAKEN, so thanks for that. It sounds like a great system, can't wait for it to be implemented.

I found this while searching: the implementation date is postponed to November 30, 2021, CRTC link 

steven

@dabr LOL maybe someday I will accept that.

But let's give them the benefit of doubt, maybe they are actively implementing it and working on solutions, maybe they are more than just the deadline I posted. I hope someone from Public Mobile comments on my question.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@steven wrote:

@dabr Thank you. Sad that at this point there is nothing more we can do on a user's level.

PM, as a budget provider or not, does not have a choice over Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission's order, that is why, as a customer, I am wondering their progress on the implementation of the STIR [Secure Telephony Identity Revisited]/SHAKEN [Signature-based Handling of Asserted information using toKENs] framework.

@steven    You'll find out if you stay with PM long enough that changes here occur at a "glacier pace", phrase borrowed from @will13am and others! 😊    Plus we're still  waiting for PM to update the autopay system so that it never fails for customers, which might be considered more of a priority for many customers here. 

steven

@RosieR Lol, but customers should not be forced to be like that, it is funny and at the same time, pathetic.

image to go with @will13am 's reply 😂

BackLoneGalapagoshawk-size_restricted

steven

@dabr Thank you. Sad that at this point there is nothing more we can do on a user's level.

PM, as a budget provider or not, does not have a choice over Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission's order, that is why, as a customer, I am wondering their progress on the implementation of the STIR [Secure Telephony Identity Revisited]/SHAKEN [Signature-based Handling of Asserted information using toKENs] framework.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I find that this problem comes and goes.  There is little that anyone can do about it because it is like a whack mole game.  

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@steven read this recent thread about spoofed numbers.  There are some suggestions there that might help you

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Somebody-spoofed-my-number/m-p/673...

Have a nice day

RosieR

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@steven    Receiving spoofed calls is not just a PM problem, unfortunately it's an industry wide issue although some providers might offer some sort of blocking (I'm thinking Koodo?).

I've not heard of anything you can do other than ignore/inform the party receiving the spoofed call that it's not you.   Plus PM is unlikely to devote any resources to such an option being a budget provider.  Sorry.

Need Help? Let's chat.