cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Robo caller using my phone number

beth1791
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just found out that a spam robo caller is using my phone number as their call display number. I've had a couple angry people calling me so far. What should I do?

12 REPLIES 12

farmbot
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I have same problem. Spammer using my # as caller ID.

First time in 20 years. Angry recipient of spammer fake caller ID  call me and ask why i am bothering them . I said sorry..... out of my orbit of control.

Not much we can do about. 

Not changing #. Hope they move on.

Bibit
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I see. I think, it would be in your best interest to (sadly) let go of your number and request a new one. Hope you get a better set of numbers.

b1791

I'm not receiving spam calls, a spammer is using my phone number for the caller ID and then angry people are calling me asking why I keep harassing them.

Bibit

This has been going on for a long time already, not specifically for Public Mobile subscribers but across the board, including landlines. I've received the following unsolicited and most probably bogus calls: somebody speaking Chinese on the other end (mind you, even if you block the numbers, they will call you using another number), a recorded message starting with "your SIN number is being monitored...", somebody talking about jury duty. There can be other subjects that the call will entail. You can block the number/s on your phone. If it is an actual person or telemarketer, you can courteously request that your number be taken off from their list. Just be mindful NOT to give out any personal information and only answer calls where you know who the caller is. Remember, if the call is important, most likely, the person calling will leave a message.

farmbot
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Happening to my phone number now today..... spoofing.... It really irritating for both innocent parties. not sure why they seem to use public mobile # more often. I have had this # for 20 years ie.Telus before.

Why they picking on us public Mobile customers?

Changing # not a option.

nierth

happens to all of us nowadays. just need to hope they stop.

@beth1791 

Unfortunately, this is what this world has come to people do not want to live an honest living, well in some cases it is difficult for them to, so they work by spamming people. I dont think Public mobile has the ability to stop this though. 

Hope this stops, even if you change your number it likely will not stop. 

beth1791

I've read you should put a voicemail explaining what's happening. Then I'll only pick up the calls from people in my contacts.

beth1791

Nope, I like my number too much, I've had it forever. I'm not going through the hassle for a spammer.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@beth1791 it happens to all of us. You can wait it out, they usually move on after a couple of weeks. Or change your number via your self service account. You can do it once per 30 day cycle.  However, there isn't any guarantee that this isnt going to happen to your new number. Stay safe. 

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@beth1791 hi how much do you like your number? you could always go into your self serve and change number 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@beth1791 me too just explain to them that it isn't you calling them and that it's someone spoofing your number. I'm also getting calls lately with a someone speaking in an Asian language

Need Help? Let's chat.