cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming

Lise3
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I live close to the USA border, and I often can't make a call or receive a call because I'm connecting to the USA tower. At these times, I also don't have internet.

39 REPLIES 39

Lise3

Samsung

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lise3 : Is there an automatic switch? Turn it off and manual should happen.

@Lise3   What brand/model of phone is yours?

Lise3

It is on automatic and doesn't give me the option to select manually. If I click on Network mode, it gives me 4 options. Two of which are...WCDMA ONLY and GSM only 

Lise3

When I click on Network Operators,  it doesn't give me the option to select manually. 

@darlicious 

@Lise3 

I dont have any problems in the Tsawwassen BC / Point Roberts WA area of BC. I do keep my phone locked onto Telus and Roaming blocked on my iPhone 6S. There is a relatively new AT&T tower in Point Roberts that certainly would be picking us up when we are (were!) there. Our service at Pt Roberts improved quite a bit when it went into service which tells me it is processing some of our calls at least.

Telus has agreements with US providers related to cell sites very close to the border. Not sure how it works but it allows “the other guy” to pick up calls and have it not become a roaming call as that would be a constant problem. Maybe blocking roaming will get it to work for you? Or maybe a cell site further across the border is getting you and it isn't part of “the Border Zone”.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector 

Didn't you say there was some kind of agreement with telus about this type of thing happening?

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Change your mobile network settings from automatic to manual and simply connect to the PM network.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Lise3 ,   Yes, your phone might have picked up the wrong carrier because of a stronger signal

What kind of phone do you have ? iOS? Android?

you will need to manually select PM 

On some Android, here is how to 

If you check Connection->Mobile Networks->Network operator , select the option "Select Manually",  wait a bit and you should see a list of available carrier, choose Public Mobile.

Need Help? Let's chat.