cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming in Mexico and DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

GlennK
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Stupid question.....I did see Mexico on some US map for roaming but I was wondering if US roaming will work in Mexico and DOMINICAN REPUBLIC?

8 REPLIES 8

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@GlennK You can think about AOW. Visit the following link if it meets your need:

https://alwaysonlinewireless.com/?utm_source=roammobility.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=AOW%20...

Korth
Mayor / Maire

PM in Mexico is only good for Voicemail (which you'll have to dial from another number) and for sending/receiving Texts (without attachments, because no Data, unless you can access WiFi).

If you want outgoing/incoming Talk or mobile Data then think the best solution is a dual-SIM phone with a local cellular subscription. Mexico basically has lots of little carriers and three big ones: AT&T Mexico (not the same company as AT&T USA), Telcel (most coverage and highest prices, best choice if you'll travel lots of Mexico), MoviStar (the one I chose because locals said it was the best service in the Baja area).

You can get all sorts of travel SIMs with all sorts of international rates and coverages. I've never found any (of the bewildering many) which could offer better rates than local carriers when travelling Canada, USA, Mexico, Germany, and Poland. In fact, they're usually (in my opinion) a complete rip-off, but I guess they charge so much extra to buy lazy worry-free convenience. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I would go local sim for both and forward c(b4 you leave) to a fongo.com account..

Sms forwarding is also possible but pm sim needs to stay in Canada and be in an active phone.

@hairbag1 wrote:

Mexico or DR, you won't have any Public Mobile service. I've heard you can recieve texts but not able to send.

No, you can't receive any texts either. The network completely rejects the attach request from the phone. You can only make emergency calls.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@GlennK  There are some US based providers that offer prepaid sim cards that include roaming to Canada and Mexico for free. You should be able to get them from Anazon.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@GlennK 

PM US roaming will not work in Mexico and DOMINICAN REPUBLIC.

You need to buy a local SIM card for service in these two countries.

You can setup your friends and family to use WhatsApp.  When out family member travel, we communicate with the traveller using Whatsapp using WiFi at hotel and airport before getting a local SIM card service.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@GlennK wrote:

Stupid question.....I did see Mexico on some US map for roaming but I was wondering if US roaming will work in Mexico and DOMINICAN REPUBLIC?

Naw...while in Mexico or DR, you won't have any Public Mobile service. I've heard you can recieve texts but not able to send.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@GlennK 

Only roaming in the United States.  No Mexico or DR roaming.  

Need Help? Let's chat.