cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request for complaint resolution - 90 day/$120 plan change

gsgsgs
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Dear Public Mobile,

Like many others on here, I got the text message today informing me that my bill would be going up by $10 per month. You offered a similar deal if I were to switch to Koodo by March 15. But I just auto-renewed for three months a couple days ago, and I have a significant amount of prepaid long-distance minutes in my account. Also, the Koodo plan does not meet my needs, as the data does not roll over from month to month.

I recommended a number of friends to your service and now I am embarassed for having done so. I switched to Public Mobile for the promo plan because, and I quote, you said: 

"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises."

It seems clear that you lied to your customers from the outset. Please consider this message a formal complaint against you and your practices. If you do not contact me with a proposed resolution within a reasonable time (given the switch deadline that you imposed, I consider 48 hours to be reasonable), I will escalate my complaint to the CCTS. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

13 REPLIES 13

fmpsportsguy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Going to have to Chime into to say... I was "SURPRISED", then confused, then angry today when I got my text message stating my plan was going up $10 per month.

Given the wording of the "contract" I entered into Public Mobile... I'm pretty sure sure you have breached the contract.

I will be filing a complaint, I will be switching my mother who I just signed up 2 weeks ago, to another service provider.

Shame on you Public Mobile.. I will take my money elsewhere and NEVER , EVER, sign up with any Telus, Koodo, Public mobile , ANY company that is related to this bait and switch Fraud on Canadian cellular customers!

kevin_camera

@ToniCipriani

Not sure what "formal" is to public mobile, since it's a forum based service.  I did send a PM to the mods to request for more details to ensure that this is a "fair" price increase across all accounts which fall into the same criteria.

Looks like the mods are going to get flooded with messages again.

ToniCipriani
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@drvanwrote:

@ToniCiprianiwrote:

I would PM a mod with the same wording, screen cap that, then print and snail mail a copy to Telus.

CCTS requires you to attempt a formal resolution before accepting a complaint. IMO a forum post is not sufficient to identify you, without account numbers and particulars.

Additionally, you could PM them this message from their Facebook page as they regularyly request customers having issues to do this. Include your phone number / account number and wait for a response.

EDIT: Oops, nevermind. It just sends you back here.

Yeah there was an official annoucement a while back stating they will not answer support on social media.

drvan

@ToniCiprianiwrote:

I would PM a mod with the same wording, screen cap that, then print and snail mail a copy to Telus.

CCTS requires you to attempt a formal resolution before accepting a complaint. IMO a forum post is not sufficient to identify you, without account numbers and particulars.

Additionally, you could PM them this message from their Facebook page as they regularyly request customers having issues to do this. Include your phone number / account number and wait for a response.

EDIT: Oops, nevermind. It just sends you back here.

GirlinTO

Can I copy and paste your letter to send to a moderator? To make the complaint formalized. I think everyone should take your letter and send it to PM and Telus! 

ToniCipriani

sm2016

To add to the case, I would classify this as a bait and switch (due to the specifics that were laid out in the contract and as you specified above).

See here for how this is illegal:  http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/site/cb-bc.nsf/eng/03798.html

Quote:

The “switch” occurs when a salesperson pressures the customer into purchasing a higher‑priced product as a replacement

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Oh wow that is pretty explicit. 

A Public Mobile representative clearly stated that publicly - that is going to be hard for Telus  to argue in court or before the CCTS. 

sm2016

Well worded post. I will be making the same post and cite you.

ToniCipriani

See the link I posted though, the wording there clearly states it is honoured past the intial 90 days, and no exceptions were mentioned. This is false advertising.

Alvito

I printed all 11 pages of that post. I will scan and PDF it for everyone to download.

HolmesIV

This is actually a pretty big deal. The wording which you cited -- which I received too -- is pretty solid. They can weasel, I'm sure -- e.g. argue that the contract is reset with every payment and modified. But it's pretty dishonest if they say "no surprises" which I too remember.

ToniCipriani

Someone please PDF print this thread before Public Mobile deletes it:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Last-day-to-get-our-limited-time...

This contains the official message saying the plan will be grandfathered with "no surprises".

Need Help? Let's chat.