cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduced Service Coverage

jf71
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How do you get support for coverage in remote areas that has changed (less reliable this year)?

I spend summers in cottage country in Manitoba (Hillside Beach, Traverse Bay etc) and increase the data in my plan during this time. This year the service is very poor for data (can’t even use 1/4 of allowed data because it doesn’t connect) and phone calls can take several minutes to even connect. People have posted that Telus has a tower down in the area since January with no plan for repair. I called Telus but they can’t help as I don’t have a Telus account number. What is the next step?  

14 REPLIES 14

@Ollie1 

In that area the more remote parts are better served by rogers and bell towers. And the community is just learning about some more competition that may be of interest if you can't get telus to stand up and listen to all of its customers....and their bottom line.

.https://www.gophonebox.com/en/OurPromotions

Screenshot_20210520-125542~2.png

A signal booster may still be something worth trying. You can't know for sure that you are getting slow speeds due to "congestion" until you try...

actually, you could look up where the towers are, and go drive closer to them. If service improves then a signal booster should help.

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Also if you do this, compare speeds using both LTE, and forcing 3G (aka HSPA/WCDMA)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ollie1 : Some areas of MB had some Telus towers switched up that caused some devices to have no to little reception. What make/model phones are you using? Are you with Public Mobile now? Or Telus/Koodo?

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Ollie1 Yes, If your affected its probaly a good idea to change cell providers to one that offers VoLTE in your area. Keep in mind you have to have a VoLTE capable phone. 

Ollie1

I'm very happy to help make a change . 

my husband and I are with cell companies that are with various phones and providers located at the hillside , traverse bay & Albert beach areas - have noticed a marked drop in cellular service and reception for a very long time 

we are  of the mind that we should have  a discount on our bills

- yet this still does not solve the issue of the ever growing issue for  many countless subscribers out this way . 

Maybe the answer is to cancel our service &  go to an yet other companies available ? 

jf71

Thanks but a booster won't help if the tower is congested. I've got signal strength, just little throughput.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@jf71 look up cellphone boosters on Amazon

jf71

Update: Well it took about a week to get in touch with Telus (via mods) only to find out that they removed 1 of the 3 towers in the area and downgraded one of the remaining (less antennas, less frequencies, more congestion). No planned upgrades at this time.

Unfortunate as there is only Bell/Mts and Telus in this area and since Bell took over MTS, they "share" equipment with Telus as part of the deal (which may be why they removed/downgraded equipment). 

I guess I'd have to say there's no solution at this time other than to get more people to call and complain (and downgrade my data plan seeing that it can't be used)

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@jf71 hi you may want to look at cellphone boosters. this might be your best option 

you can go on Amazon and check them out. the most affordable option was the proutone for $89.99. and if it's not working out you can always return it to Amazon for a refund 🤗

https://www.amazon.ca/stores/PROUTONE/page/AF8951DC-7127-406A-B7CB-B4EDC6070D9A?ref_=ast_bln

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Short of submitting a ticket, there's not a lot else you can really do sadly. Bell (Telus) has had a major cell site down in my area for months with minimal service from adjacent ones and other than small cells set up which don't have any benefit on PM for voice calls since they have only LTE rolled out, there hasn't been any major expansion in years.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@jf71  Submit a ticket to Public Mobile and let them know if they are not going to fix the problem then best to find another provider that does offer better coverage in your area.

To submit a ticket to the Moderator Team, please start a conversation with the Public's virtual assistant, SIMon by clicking  here or the icon (bottom right of your screen).

s.JPG

If you are still having problems contacting Public Mobile then click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi @jf71 

Could you please keep us updated. I have noticed issues with some remote areas since distancing started, I couldn't believe that functionality of towers would actually depend on human input. Would love to know what's going on

If Simon is not letting you to for the ticket you can reach mods directly here

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 

@jf71 wrote:

How do you get support for coverage in remote areas that has changed (less reliable this year)?

I spend summers in cottage country in Manitoba (Hillside Beach, Traverse Bay etc) and increase the data in my plan during this time. This year the service is very poor for data (can’t even use 1/4 of allowed data because it doesn’t connect) and phone calls can take several minutes to even connect. People have posted that Telus has a tower down in the area since January with no plan for repair. I called Telus but they can’t help as I don’t have a Telus account number. What is the next step?  

You can definitely push to have this fixed, but if it is really Telus' intention not to fix this cellular site, there isn't anything you can do other to put pressure on them. In the end, if service at the location is important to you, you may need to condider get a second plan with another carrier who has better coverage there, or even considering switching carriers completely. 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Ask moderators.

1-

Simon.JPG

Or via private message at link below

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Use this site to see what towers are in your area 

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Need Help? Let's chat.