cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving strange phone calls

Saintly92
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So I ported my number over to Public mobile a couple weeks ago, and since then I have received a few strange phone calls. In all, I have received at least 4 phone calls from 4 different numbers that have the same area code and first 3 numbers as my phone number (e.g. if my number was 123-456-7899, then their number would be 123-456-9384).

This is where it gets strange, when calling them back, they have each been separate normal people that claim they missed a call from me, and were simply returning it. However, I did not have any of these numbers in my phone, nor have I called any of them before. Has anybody heard about this happening before? Is somebody somehow using my phone number to call people? Please help.

6 REPLIES 6

paulie
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@computergeek541 wrote:

There's the possiblity that someone is spoofing (pretending to be calling from) your phone number.  Because of that, it's possible that the people who are calling you back are being truthful about receiving calls from someone whose phone number is being shown on call display as being the same as yours.

Unsolicited phone callers often use faked/spoofed phone numbers so that the person receiving the call doesn't really know where it is coming from.  One of the common things I've seen lately is that these calls usually come from a phone number (obviously faked phone numbers) that start with the same first 3 digits as my phone number in an apparent attempt to make the phone number appear more real/credible.

Yes... was thinking that too... the number is being spoofed.   I kept getting calls from a number but there was never a voice mail.  I finally called it back, it was a government phone# and they actually had a recoding stating their number was spoofed!  Must have been a large volume for them to state it in an announcment. 

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
This is standard scammer behaviour - I used to get tons of these calls when I was on Rogers. The scammers spoof the caller ID of a phone number close to yours (some psychological trick to make you more likely to answer), and once you pick up it's "you've won a free cruise!" Or some other similar scam. Just ignore those calls, they'll stop in time. Nothing to do with joining PM, just a coincidence in the timing.

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire
Just be careful of scams . This definition sounds like someone might be using a similar number to yours.

There's the possiblity that someone is spoofing (pretending to be calling from) your phone number.  Because of that, it's possible that the people who are calling you back are being truthful about receiving calls from someone whose phone number is being shown on call display as being the same as yours.

Unsolicited phone callers often use faked/spoofed phone numbers so that the person receiving the call doesn't really know where it is coming from.  One of the common things I've seen lately is that these calls usually come from a phone number (obviously faked phone numbers) that start with the same first 3 digits as my phone number in an apparent attempt to make the phone number appear more real/credible.

Saintly92
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks for the help, I'll send them a message!

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

There have been cases where users get random calls from random numbers. But in your case i am also surprised to see that other party claiming that you called them first. I just hope that your number was not assigned to someone else as well. Send a private message to one of the mod and they will take a look at this in the morning. 

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Contacting-our-Community-Modera...

Need Help? Let's chat.