cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving and sending pics through text

J-L
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

My children tell me that I can send and receive pictures via text as long as I turn my data on. ( i.e., turn on my data to receive or send a picture then turn it off again, to preserve my limited data) They say it will not use up my data because it goes through the cell network (??) Is this true?

15 REPLIES 15

J-L

@Anonymous  thanks for all the steps 😊

I tried your suggestions. I don't see anything that is like "auto retrieve" but there is button for MMS that is supposed to indicate status of MMS  (sent, delivered, received) something like that. I don't think that's what you are referring to but I enabled it so we'll see what happens. There is also a button to save MMS pics to gallery automatically, so I'll see how that works too. 

Thanks again.

Have a wonderful day!

😊

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe you have it. We'll see.

In the messaging/texting app that you use, do you have 3 dots in the upper right? If so, then do you have Settings? If so, then maybe More settings? If so, then maybe Multimedia messages? If so, then maybe Auto-retrieve? Turn it to on and then you should get them automatically.

But your menus may very well be different.

J-L

Thank you for all the info everyone. I love the PM community. Everyone is always so helpful and quick in responding. 

Thanks again everyone!

😊

J-L

@Anonymous  LOL.... My phone is a Motorola x4.... But that's all I can tell you about it..... When someone sends me a pic it does give a notice that I've received a picture ( then I turn on data to see it) so I'm assuming my phone cannot do it by itself. 

But it's a good feature to know about. 

Thanks for the info. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@J-L wrote:

@Anonymous  is there a way to find out if my phone can flip and out by itself  if it knows it's a MMS ?

What exact make/model/submodel and OS version are you using?

My Samsung S7 running Android 8 has this option. I think I've read of some Umidigi's too.

J-L

@Anonymous  is there a way to find out if my phone can flip and out by itself  if it knows it's a MMS ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@J-L wrote:

My children tell me that I can send and receive pictures via text as long as I turn my data on. ( i.e., turn on my data to receive or send a picture then turn it off again, to preserve my limited data) They say it will not use up my data because it goes through the cell network (??) Is this true?

Some phones can flip in and out of cell data when it knows it's an MMS happening. Then you don't have to do the extra step of turning cell data on.

J-L

@esjliv  I should also say ( in case my kids ever see these posts) that my children are older, but it did amaze me when they were first learning computer and cell skills how much they knew so quickly. And the young ones now seem to know even more even faster.. sometimes it is kind of scary but also amazing.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@J-L wrote:

@esjliv lol

I'm glad for their help, but the worst is when my son says here, I'll help you and he takes my phone does whatever then hands it back to me...." I don't want you to DO it I want you to SHOW me HOW to do it so I can learn to do it myself!" 

Sorry I don't mean that to look like yelling, I don't know how to type italics on this phone. Lol

@J-L  - Sounds about right!

LOL 🤣

J-L

@esjliv  yes thank you. You and others have now cleared that up/ confirmed that for me.  Although the extra you added about not having to have data is very good to know too. Thank you. 😊

J-L

@esjliv lol

I'm glad for their help, but the worst is when my son says here, I'll help you and he takes my phone does whatever then hands it back to me...." I don't want you to DO it I want you to SHOW me HOW to do it so I can learn to do it myself!" 

Sorry I don't mean that to look like yelling, I don't know how to type italics on this phone. Lol

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@J-L ,

Isn't it crazy how these kids know these things. Scary sometimes. 😛

Edit: you do not need a Data Plan on your account in order to do this, but cellular data must be turned on in the phone.

Were you asking that as well?

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Yes, MMS does not count towards your data usage but it needs to be enabled to send and receive them.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Yes it is @J-L there is 5.2xxmb buffer. That appears when you turn your data on. It is returned over time. Stay safe. 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Yes

They are kinda correct

It still goes through data network and your phone usage will show as you used the data BUT public mobile keeps track of that data and doesn't count towards your allowance.

If you use iMessage you will need to specify sms instead of data on settings

Need Help? Let's chat.