cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really need to receive a text in Finland

bobert
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I really need to receive a 2-factor authentication text to my public mobile phone number, in Finland.
Any ideas?  
(Phone destroyed, got new one, cannot sign in without being able to receive a text to this "trusted number").  
Sweden, Norway, Denmark, listed on public mobile's plans, but not finland... 😞
Pulees halp.

14 REPLIES 14

I am taking a long shot here. 

You are in Finland 

You have an iPhone 

Your phone number is registered for iMessage 

You have wifi.  

Suggest you Set up text message forwarding

By any chance do you have a device in Canada that is logged on to your cloud account?

Like I say it’s a long shot. 

bobert

apple won't do email.

So, I gave them another 'trusted number' and had to wait 15 days for it to take effect.  That was 15 days ago.  So it's solved.  
I got through those 15 days by resetting the phone and making a new apple id (new email) to use it with.
Now, i signed out of that and signed back in with my normal account, and recieved the text on the new 'trusted phone'.

Thanks for help everyone.

Some 2FA I deal with can be set to send text or an actual phone call or send you an email etc. Presumably it isn’t an option to log in and add an email address then select it as your choice to receive the 2FA?

AE_Collector

@bobert wrote:

ya, need 2FA from the apple universe, but even if they were in finland i just can't receive anything to the number they want to send to.  
If I understand your suggestion -- someone i know (in canada) gets a sim card from public mobile that matches my same phone number so that they can receive this all important 2FA?
Would public mobile do that?

@bobert Kind of. Have someone you trust in Canada buy a new sim. They give you the number off the sim (19 digits), you change sim in your self serve account. They put sim in their phone and voila they receive calls and texts at your number. Your old sim is no good anymore if you do this. You will need them to give you the sim when you return to Canada. Pop it in your phone and you will be good to go.

bobert

ya, need 2FA from the apple universe, but even if they were in finland i just can't receive anything to the number they want to send to.  
If I understand your suggestion -- someone i know (in canada) gets a sim card from public mobile that matches my same phone number so that they can receive this all important 2FA?
Would public mobile do that?

Anonymous
Not applicable

The Apple universe strikes again.

So what is your exact situation? If I have this straight, you're in Finland, you need to receive a 2FA from presumably some entity in Canada. Is that about it?

The idea of having a trusted person get a SIM somewhere, then you change it in the system, then they insert the SIM into another phone and they receive the text and maybe reply to it or tell you the result and you reply to it.

Then when you return you put the new SIM in your current phone. Done.

Does this 2FA source only offer that option? I prefer email verifications myself.

@bobert wrote:

Will try and get back with results, thanks.
@HALIMACS suggested textnow i think it was, above.
Should work if it can receive texts to that same number as my phone had / has.

As @Anonymous advises, it won't be the same number unless you go through the process to port your Public Mobile number over. 

That may be an option, however depending on how long you're away, and whether you want to retain the Public Mobile service/account, that's a decision based on your individual situation and needs.

bobert

ooo,, well, getting any other number is no problem, I have options there. It's just that the apple people make you/me wait 13 days (in this case) for that new 'trusted number' to work.  Saying it's a safety measure. 😕

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bobert wrote:

It won't be the same number unless you port your number over to TextNow which would kill your Public Mobile account.

You will need to inform the 2FA source of the other number of these other options mentioned.

bobert

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You could use Wi-Fi apps like TextMe or Text Plus.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@bobert wrote:

I really need to receive a 2-factor authentication text to my public mobile phone number, in Finland.
Any ideas?  
(Phone destroyed, got new one, cannot sign in without being able to receive a text to this "trusted number").  
Pulees halp.

@bobert The countries listed don't mean that PM service works there. They are listed in the Long Distance add ons as countries you can call FROM Canada. PM service only works from Canada and , if you purchase a US roaming add on, the USA. 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@bobert 

Use TextNow web-based app.

Of course, you'll need to inform the supplier sending the 2fa.

@bobert wrote:

Any ideas?  
Pulees halp.

Sorry, but there isn't any way to use Public Mobile service or receive any text message other than when you're in Canada or the U.S. 

Your options would be to use another service and have the company who wants to send you the text send the the message there, to use a family members phone number, and then have that person contact you using some other means than your Public Mobile service, or to have the company use e-mail to perform the authentication.

Annother option would be to have a family members switch the SIM card on your Public Mobile SIM card to receive the code. However, this will permanently disable your current Public Mobile SIM card.

If you asking about receiving text messages sent to your from other countries while you're using your Public Mobile service in Canada, it doesn't make a difference which country the text message is sent from.

Need Help? Let's chat.