cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Transferring or Changing your Phone Number

caper001
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi I would like to port my public mobile phone number but keep my account and get a new number thanks 

6 REPLIES 6

@caper001 

If it was all kept in the telus family your chances of success are higher than average however one must weigh the risk and reward factor. If you still need to open an account with telus and their larger pool of numbers and "full" service mandate you may be able to acquire a phone number only one or two digits off from the one you wanted to port....(000) 876 1233  you may be able to get the last four digits as: 1234, 1244, 1223, 1235 and so on.....

caper001
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Your 100% correct I called this morning about porting the number over to ( Telus) and was told that they have no control over public mobile and to post the question in the community form for there are some very intelligent people that would set me straight.. I ilke to thank you and everyone else for taking their time out and replying.. Thanks I guess I just have to keep the 2 accounts they way they are.... GOD BLESS and thanks again 

@caper001 

The only possibility of doing this would be by @esjliv suggestion but this would only have a chance of working  if you were opening an account with the original provider of the phone number. Arranging with them prior to to activation and changing of the pm accounts phone number to coordinate the retrieval of said phone number once released by pm after the number change occurs.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@caper001 

Just to confirm, you currently have an active Public Mobile account, correct?

And you want to port THAT Public Mobile number to another supplier OUTSIDE of Public Mobile?

And finally, you want to retain the Public Mobile account with a different number?

What you're saying sounds logical, however, it's 'technically' not able to be done as far as I know.   Once you PORT your Public Mobile out, the associated Public Mobile account automatically deactivates.   If you change the Public Mobile number first, there's no guarantee another provider will be able to 'capture' that number you released and provide it to you under their service.

I might recommend speaking with the other provider and running the situation by them.  It would ultimately be them who would have to 'get' the number so you may wish to ask them if this can be accomplished shortly after changing your Public Mobile number.

Please report back what they can (can't) do for you.    

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@caper001 wrote:

Hi I would like to port my public mobile phone number but keep my account and get a new number thanks 

@caper001 

If you ARE interested in changing your current public mobile phone number (and do not care if you lose the one you already have) you can change your phone number once every 30 days after you have activated.

To change or transfer your number after activation, go to your Self Serve Account here and:

• Select the “Plans and Add ons” tab
  • Click on “Change Phone Number”
  • Then, you can choose to select a new phone number or to transfer a wireless or wireline number from another provider.

If you were thinking porting your current number to Telus or Koodo maybe, if you time it right, there is a slim chance you can request it once it goes back to the 'Pool of numbers". But don't count on it.

@caper001 wrote:

Sorry, but when you port out, your Public Mobile account will get permanently closed.

Need Help? Let's chat.