cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Meet our New Oracles

OldGuyinVic
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Dear Oracles, When I am at home and my phone is on Wifi the world is good. As soon as I leave home all hell breaks loose  but I don't know why other that i must not have it set up correctly for away from home. A couple of weeks ago I was out of my home area and a notification came up that i was just at the end of my rope on the data. It was the first time I was using it away from home in a significant way, in the short time I've been with Public Mobile. While out on the road I tried to buy some data. I thought a $20 data add-on would do the trick. The connection was mind-numbingly slow. So slow in fact that I wound up buying three add-ons @ $20 each, lol, over the period of 30 minutes or so. It felt like I wasn't getting a timely response from the purchase, so I clicked again & again, hence the 3 x $20 buys.

It's all good. I see that it just went on my account as a credit and it will get chewed up in time, (so to speak) but pretty funny huh?)

What I mean by not being set up correctly is when I am looking at social media ,FB for example, when I go to the notifications button, it shows me all the friends notices but when I click on that link, it tries to load but just goes blank. I know 3G is slow but it's not that slow. Besides, my phone was showing LTE with one bar, maybe 2 bars.

Where can I review my set up? or is there a tips 'n tricks i need to learn bc knowing me it's something bonehead I'm doing

15 REPLIES 15

@OldGuyinVic wrote:

Thanks for the info Nezgar, I think you are right

I see what you mean. I definitely knew I was not buying US Roaming. I clicked on Purchase add-ons and scrolled down to the BLUE area to the Data7 section somehow, (probably bc I should have done it at home before I left versus trying to do it onsite) I tried to buy the 1 GB Data, not seeing that it was US Roaming. Anyway it just shows I have a balance on my accounts as Funds Available of $47.00 which is correct when you calculate in my monthly fee less AutoPAY  Reward. Its listed as a CC Top up. 3 separate purchases of $20 each.

It all looks good, it's just I have to learn to use less data by forming usage habits when away from home. Used all my data in a couple of days out in the real world. My first month I never went out due to covid and had data leftover (250 mb!) Pretty sure that won't happen again.!!

Kim

Old Guy in Vic

Bottom line is

Hi @OldGuyinVic "it's just I have to learn to use less data by forming usage habits when away from home. Used all my data in a couple of days out in the real world."

Try to make a habit of leaving your DATA off; then when you want to use it, out and about, then toggle it on.

If you are not sure how to toggle it off, please let us know what type of phone you have.

Also, some tips about Data Usage here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

@OldGuyinVic, I am in Victoria as well.  Send me a message if you need additional help I can give you my email or phone number and I will do my best to help you out.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@OldGuyinVic wrote:

I was trying to purchase and wasn't aware I needed a positive balance. I have a cc on file so doesn't that negate having an available balance?

My 3 x $20 purchase is now whittled down to $47 CAD because my monthly  $13.00 fee came off the $60 that was there

Yes trying to use the data in Canada. I don't need US ROAMING. I will buy it if I need to go to the US.

Having a credit card on file only means that trying to purchase an add-on when there isn't enough available balance already in the Public Mobile account still does not purcahse the add-on. It will only make a payment and add the funds to your account balance.  I'm happy that you never eneded up purcahsing the incorrect $20 roaming add-on. However, I don't believe that you were purchasing the add-on but might have been just manually adding a payment to your account. When you tried the second time purcahset he $20 add-on, it shouldn't have charged your credit card again, but rather taken it from your Public Mobile account balance. In any event, you're free to use the remaining $47 in your  account to purchase a data add-on if you still need it. Otherwise, that $47 will go towards paying for future renewals.

OldGuyinVic

Hi CG541

I was trying to purchase and wasn't aware I needed a positive balance. I have a cc on file so doesn't that negate having an available balance?

My 3 x $20 purchase is now whittled down to $47 CAD because my monthly  $13.00 fee came off the $60 that was there

Yes trying to use the data in Canada. I don't need US ROAMING. I will buy it if I need to go to the US.

Thank you

Kim

Old Guy in Vic

OldGuyinVic

I agree

OldGuyinVic

apparently not!

OldGuyinVic

Thanks for the info Nezgar, I think you are right

I see what you mean. I definitely knew I was not buying US Roaming. I clicked on Purchase add-ons and scrolled down to the BLUE area to the Data7 section somehow, (probably bc I should have done it at home before I left versus trying to do it onsite) I tried to buy the 1 GB Data, not seeing that it was US Roaming. Anyway it just shows I have a balance on my accounts as Funds Available of $47.00 which is correct when you calculate in my monthly fee less AutoPAY  Reward. Its listed as a CC Top up. 3 separate purchases of $20 each.

It all looks good, it's just I have to learn to use less data by forming usage habits when away from home. Used all my data in a couple of days out in the real world. My first month I never went out due to covid and had data leftover (250 mb!) Pretty sure that won't happen again.!!

Kim

Old Guy in Vic

Bottom line is

@OldGuyinVic wrote:

It was the first time I was using it away from home in a significant way, in the short time I've been with Public Mobile. While out on the road I tried to buy some data. I thought a $20 data add-on would do the trick. The connection was mind-numbingly slow. So slow in fact that I wound up buying three add-ons @ $20 each, lol, over the period of 30 minutes or so. It felt like I wasn't getting a timely response from the purchase, so I clicked again & again, hence the 3 x $20 buys.

It's all good. I see that it just went on my account as a credit and it will get chewed up in time, (so to speak) but pretty funny huh?)

As mentioned earlier, trying to purchase an add-on with no balance in the Public Mobile account only does a top up.

How much is your Public Mobile account balance?  Is it at $20 but you have one-$20 add-on?  If you didn't have funds in your Public Mobile balance, trying to purchase a $20 add-on would have resulted in a $20 top up. The second time you tried to make the purchase, the add-on would have been added to your account. For the third time, this would have only added a $20 top up.  Is that what happened?

As for the $20 add-on itself, this is roaming add-on. I highly suggest not trying to purchase the same roaming add-on more than once. Not only should this not work, it could actually cause problems with your service.

Where are you trying to use your data? If you're in Canada, you should be purchasing the $!5 1GB data add-on.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it was poof the disappearing posts syndrome.

This part of topic was (correctly) cut out of the “New Oracles” topic and put into its own topic. A revised title would be good as well. But I suspect that may be what led to the “not there” comment once it was moved.

AE_Collector

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@OldGuyinVic wrote:

I replied to this but it appears to not be here

Did you press the "Post" button?

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@OldGuyinVic 

1.  If you create your community account after PM account activation, You should have 2020 holiday giveaway 2GB data.  Why you need to buy data add-on?

2.  Which plan do you have?

3.  How mush data do you have on the overview page "My Data & Add-ons" section?

4.  You phone may not be setup for mobile data correctly. 

4a.  Restart your phone with your PM SIM card in your phone and let PM SIM card to configure your APN setting.

4b.  Turn off your wifi and open a browser to check on tomorrow weather report.  How is your mobile data speed?

5.  Data add-on is only $15 got 1GB data or $5 for 200MB data.  If @Anonymous is correct that you purchased an $20 US roaming data add-on and tried to use it in Canada.  Please post a screenshot of your payment history with your personal data masked out.  We will take a look to determine which add-on you purchased.

@OldGuyinVic 

The only domestic data add-on available is $15 for 1GB, or $5 for 200MB. The only $20 add-on is for USA roaming data. It's a two step process:

1. Add the funds to your available account balance.
  2. Actually purchase the add-on.

I suspect what you've actually done is just part 1 adding the balance to your account, but still need to actually purchase the add-on. You should be able to check your account balance from the top of the overview page when you login to selfserve.publicmobile.ca or by dialling 611. From the online selfserve you can check your overview for currently active add-ons, transaction history to confirm what exactly it indicates you purchased.

If you mistakenly purchased the "US Roaming - 1 GB Data (10-day)" instead of the $15 "1GB Add-on" or the $5 "200MB Add-on" you will have to go through SIMon to message a moderator to correct.

If you can provide any further details of what is currently showing in your transaction history and currently active add-ons, maybe we can try to help you out too - we're customers like you!

OldGuyinVic

I replied to this but it appears to not be here

Anonymous
Not applicable

@OldGuyinVic : By your username...what are the chances you're picking up a US tower and are actually roaming with those $20 add-ons if you actually bought one or more?

Or you're simply in a bad cell area. If you make a call do your bars suddenly shoot up to full or near?

Need Help? Let's chat.