cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to get restricted phone number information from incoming call?

TimeGlass
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I had recently lost a bicycle via theft and someone with a restricted number just called me stating that they have it. They wanted ransom money for it and hung up when I mentioned that I have cops involved. What is the procedure to get Public Mobile to co-operate with the police in this matter?

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

@TimeGlass 

In my case the person in possession of the stolen e-bike wasn't even arrested. So there is very little that can be done and I never leave my e-bike locked up for very long and in sight if possible. I bought a Tile for it but their subscription fees are ridiculous so it will only help find it if I get within 150 feet of it. I'm looking at better gps trackers for it. But something is better than nothing!

TimeGlass

Yeah I hear ya. It sucked losing it on the one time I was looking forward to riding it (i.e. with a friend vs. to and from work). 

The major underlying problem is that bike theft is far too common, and our laws do nothing to protect us (we become the criminal if we hold weapons designed for self defense, even if its a pocket knife). Even with $500 in locks, the technology to break through the locks keeps improving, so you're back at square one eventually (i.e. keep an eye out on the bike at all times). The average cost of a bike is also worth less than people's insurance deductibles and it's ultra easy to sell them for parts. COVID drove the demand up too.

I was investigating an idea that someone had to put a taser gun's wiring inside a water bottle and run it through the frame. It would be activated by a pay as you go cell phone plan, but it would certainly teach them a lesson. 

@TimeGlass 

Safety first but our bikes have personal attachments. For the longest time I subscribed to the half price crappy tire bike with a removable seat. Given the choice of bikes at the average vancouver bike rack my seatless bike would have lowest resale value to a bike thief. I would ride the crap out if it and replace it every 2 or 3 years.....

This theory served me well and have a pile of "parts" bikes in the basement to prove it! Then I saved up for a really nice kranked mtb. I locked it up at the mall for no more than 10 minutes and when. I came back it was gone! 93 days after I bought it so not covered under my credit card insurance.

Needless to say I went back to the crappy tire bike until 3 years ago my bf got me a beautifully rebuitlt '80's specialized rockhopper with red cables and accessories. It's old enough, unique enough and heavy enough to not be a target. My e-bike ( the bf's was the stolen one) gets doubled locked and a cable and the locks alone at regular price are over $200! ( But when do I pay regular price for anything?!! 😃)

TimeGlass

To be honest, the bike's a sunk cost so the impact of the loss doesn't bother me after a year. Yes, it sucks, but hey, lesson learned. The guy on the phone did give me creeper vibes and just him suggesting that I e-transfer the money over to him first was a red flag. I've lost the bike for about 9 months now but in the moment, I didn't have the foresight to think of tricking the guy into stealing my bike back. But c'est la vie...I'm still alive.

@TimeGlass 

Well that was the wrong answer....you should have agreed to meet (with back up)to see if it was your bike ( check serial number) and if it was a ransom vs someone just seeking a reasonable reward or recovery fee ( they bought it off a junkie for $20?) then you just steal your bike back which is perfectly legal. Or a little harder to coordinate but certainly possible is you arrange the time and place to meet and also arrange the police to be there at the same time.

I recently did something similar to recover a stolen e-bike after recieving an email, pic and location from someone from 529 garage and the vancouver stolen bikes facebook group who spotted it locked in a downtown alley beside a homeless persons tent. I grabbed my neighbour and we rode down on our bikes and did a ride by down the alley, went around the corner and called the cops. They swung by about 20 minutes later just as the guy woke up got up out of his tent. They checked the serial number to my original reciept and the police file and seized the e-bike on the spot and returned it to me. It needs a few hundred dollars worth of repairs/replacement parts but at least it was recovered. Six months after it was stolen!

Thecellman69
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

PM does not support call trace (*57) Even the caller ID will remain private and unable to be released unless court order which even then is debatable. 

@TimeGlass 

You could always ask the Moderators if there is anyway that law enforcement could get access to incoming calls displayed as RESTRICTED.

I'm unsure whether PM offers this, however *57 is a tracing service that PM may be able to access for it's users.

Contact the moderators to see if they offer such a service, or if they can assist with allowing law enforcement to get access to the number if they make a formal request.

Here's how to contact Moderators, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here and type moderator assistance, then select account-related issue, then select you need a human now.  Follow the prompts to submit a ticket,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the moderator by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

TimeGlass

Oh I am well aware of that. Just would like to get the ball rolling once the cop sees my email. I don't have to get my bike back but would like to do my part to reduce bike theft in the area.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@TimeGlass wrote:

Hello,

What is the procedure to get Public Mobile to co-operate with the police in this matter?

Thanks!

My understanding is that PM will not release the info to you, but only directly to the police.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

TimeGlass

I posted a Kijiji ad warning people about the bike being stolen, but am well aware it may have been a scammer. I've got the cops involved anyhow so let's see where this goes.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@TimeGlass wrote:

Hello,

I had recently lost a bicycle via theft and someone with a restricted number just called me stating that they have it. They wanted ransom money for it and hung up when I mentioned that I have cops involved. What is the procedure to get Public Mobile to co-operate with the police in this matter?

Thanks!

Did you post ads around town or on-line ? Perhaps someone saw your number in that ad and thought they'd see if you'd pay $$...even if they don't know anything about the lost bike.

Need Help? Let's chat.