cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Data used up

Hails01
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm having similar issue where PM says I have reached my data limit of 3gb but my phone says I have only used 1.1gb, is this PM problem? very frustrating, this has happened twice now already

20 REPLIES 20

Hails01

Thanks for your help! I'll post a ticket

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Hails01 wrote:

I'm having similar issue where PM says I have reached my data limit of 3gb but my phone says I have only used 1.1gb, is this PM problem? very frustrating, this has happened twice now already

What's your plan? There's no recent plan with 3GB.  3GB was a one-time bonus if you activated recently. You don't get that every renewal. It's gone after you use it up. 

If you have an old 90 day plan that has 3GB, add up the data usage from 90 days, not just 30.

@Hails01 

If you believe that the data counter did not reset when your plan renewed, then you will need to contact moderator to check your account.  Expect 2 - 48 hour response time.  

To contact moderator via 2 methods:

1. Ticketing system - faster response time

Click on the blue chat bubble icon on the right lower corner of website to start ticketing process to contact moderator.  Type: Contact moderator. Follow the prompts to submit ticket.  

or

2 Send a private message to moderator through the following link :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Hails01

Is this a problem on Public Mobile end? How can I get them to fix it?

@Nezgar 

It does sound as though @Hails01 data did not reset.

@Hails01 wrote:

I have tallied up the total data used in 30 day period that was on the self serve site and it only adds to 1.1 GB just like my phone data says but PM has cut me off cause they say I have reached my limit of 3 GB, likenthat makes no sense

Keep in mind the "view my usage" logs in the self-serve portal default to only 7-days. Change the selection to 30 days, or a custom period earlier up to 90 days.

Edit... erg, I think I missed that you clearly said "30 day period" hah - well, maybe there was extra use on the very last day of the previous cycle, or in the hours before your cycle change which happens at midnight eastern time, which is 9PM in pacific time for example., try a custom date date range to include the few days previous....

On the other hand, maybe you have heard from the moderators by now.

Hails01

Thanks, I will give this a try

@Hails01 

Have you submitted a support ticket? Make sure you take screenshots of your usage in your account. Ask for your data to be reset. If you really need data purchase the 1gb data add on. When you get your plan data reset ask for a credit for your add on and they can remove the remaining add on data from your account. If your data didnt reset then they owe you that at least in compensation.

In future take a screenshot before and immediately after your renewal of your overview page and your payment/transaction history. You never know when you are going to need it.....

Hails01

I have tallied up the total data used in 30 day period that was on the self serve site and it only adds to 1.1 GB just like my phone data says but PM has cut me off cause they say I have reached my limit of 3 GB, likenthat makes no sense

Hails01

Phone and PM cycle start dates are exactly the same

Hails01

Start date on phone and PM are set to be exactly identical 

@darlicious wrote:

The 75% and 90% data warnings from pm when there are data add ons in the account is very  .YMMV.

True. But I was thinking the notifications would still be sent at least once if a customer used up the full (3GB) data limit. Twice.

It looks like @Hails01 has only been with PM for (almost) two months, two billing cycles. If all available add-on data was used up on the first cycle then none would be available to throw off the SMS notifications on the second cycle.

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@yanzhiqiang wrote:

Something is not right here, even your phone count monthly and PM count 30 days, 1 day may not cause that much difference.

It could be a world of difference. @Hails01 could use a large amount in one day but it's not one day.  The plan renewal could be far off as the phone data counter date might not have been updated for years.

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Something is not right here, even your phone count monthly and PM count 30 days, 1 day may not cause that much difference.

@Korth 

The 75% and 90% data warnings from pm when there are data add ons in the account is very  .YMMV.

Phone data monitoring software is usually not synced with account payment cycles. The counter often has to be manually reset at the beginning of each new billing cycle. And "30-day" plans are not quite the same thing as "monthly" plans.

Different softwares also track things different ways. There's no standards and there's lots of inconsistencies. Some count background data, some don't, some deliberately exclude certain apps/services from being tracked (sometimes including updates, syncs, speedtests, certain browsers, certain social media sites/apps, certain streaming sites/apps, and all sorts of background telemetry "services"), some are simply inaccurate. You can always install different apps if the ones built into your phone suck. And the only numbers which matter (which you pay for) are the ones reported in Self-Serve.

Finally, there's data overhead. Network-side machinery counts everything the network sends and receives. Client-side machinery (phones and devices) count everything they send and receive ... but this is only for user reference, it's completely ignored and irrelevant to the providers. There can be big discrepancies when your device does data in areas with low signal bars, when it moves around a lot (overlapping data sessions when there's handover between cell sites), when it has weak battery, when there's just a ton of other traffic (or noise) on the network which is beyond your control. Packets have to be sent and re-sent and checked and repeated more often, it all adds up and if you're in a fringe service area then the differences can be surprising.

SMS notifications were not sent when (account) data usage hit 75% and 95% thresholds?

I have found that since Public Mobile uses 30 day plans, the renewal "day" may change by a day or so on months that have other than 30 days. My Android phone's built in data monitor assumes the plan always are on the same day each month, so after a while the "start date" will be offset by a few days. Compare the last date your plan renewed against the monthly start date in your phone.

Also look for a different data monitor app that allows a 30-day renewal, or stick a recurring appointment reminder in your calendar.

Anyhow - check your true usage on selfserve.publicmobile.ca.

@Hails01 wrote:

Why is PM stating that my 3gb of dat has been used up when my phone is telling me that I have only used 1.1gb. This is incredibly frustrating because it has happened twice now

The phones data counter is monthly. Public Mobile plans are 30-days long. Ensure that the start date in your phone lines up with your plan start date. 

Is it the self serve account saying that about 3GB has been used?  

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Hails01 

Is it possible your phone data counter is measuring data consumption from a start date which differs from your plan's most recent renewal start date?

Hails01

Why is PM stating that my 3gb of dat has been used up when my phone is telling me that I have only used 1.1gb. This is incredibly frustrating because it has happened twice now

Need Help? Let's chat.