cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Data use on $15 pay as you go plan

ricebowl
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am interested in getting my family member in $15 province wide plan.

but I found this clause.  "includes text and picture messaging. Premium and subscription-based messaging, to and from non-Canadian numbers, are not included."

Q1. what does the premium and subscription-based messaging means ?  I thought picture message refers to one of the 3 MMS types (text, picture, video).

Q2. what happens to the video messaging ?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

@Camera4617 

Nope....can't. You cannot purchase anything that is not available to you in your account with autopay on or not. Having autopay enabled allows for pm's system to bill your credit card once only. Sccessfully or not. That's it. All other purchases can only be done by the account holder physically appoving the payment and submitting it. There are no overages, extra billing or fees with pm.

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Yeah, premium is nothing that you actually need and use. I've made a mistake once where I 'subscribed' to a premium service (can't remember but something like they send you every week a SMS with some info) and I did not realize till I got my monthly bill of 40$ extra or something like that. I wouldn't be surprised if providers have some kind of deal with this service and all make money. So, not a pleasant experience but just make sure you don't subscribe to anything you don't want to. Actually, since PM is prepaid, probably you cannot even do it (or maybe you can if you have autopay on).. 

@ricebowl 

Did some research online.

Premium texting lets consumers subscribe for ringtones, horoscopes and other services, but can cost up to $10 per transaction, and up to $40 for a monthly subscription. Those costs are on top of standard text messaging plans.

What is a premium text message?
What is Premium Text Messaging? Premium Text Messaging refers to special programs that require an additional fee. to subscribe. A premium charge for the subscription is billed to your mobile. phone account or deducted from your pre-paid credit, in addition to the standard.

Since Public mobile is prepaid and no overages/extra charges, Public mobile generally will no support any postpaid services.  

Public mobile MMS does include video text messages (as long as file is not too big).  

Most people would not subscribe to these premium text services anyways. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@ricebowl 

I would have to read the fine print again....but often pm will have included clauses that don't apply to the current plan but apply to "legacy" or "grandfathered" plans from the past that many pm customers still have ( I have two of them.) A good example of this are references to full speed 4G LTE data. All current plans have 4G LTE data throttled to 3G speed or 3mbps.

The current $15 province wide calling plan includes: 100 outgoing province wide calling minutes, unlimited incoming and outgoing international SMS/MMS texting, unlimited incoming calling from anywhere and 250mb of 4G LTE data throttled to 3mbps or 3G data with variable data speeds up to 20mbps but normally up to 12mbps depending on time of day and network traffic/use/conditions. Public mobile does not support video calling or voLTE calling. All calls are made on the 3G network at this time.

$5/500min canada-wide calling add on is recommended for this plan. It is a one time purchase and remains on your account rolling over each 30 days until completely consumed.

Edit: I believe subscription based messaging refers to pay per use services such as" joke of the day" and would normally incur charges on a post paid account. Since pm is a prepaid service it does not support any services or "subscriptions" that would be charged to the account and billed after the fact. There are never any extra charges, overages or extra billing at pm.

Need Help? Let's chat.