cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Community Terms of Service & New Community Guidelines

Seawatersoul
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Ditto here too fellow member. As a new member I am struggling a little bit with why all my data is somehow gone already when barely used. Do you know what I could potentially type into the search bar....I'm having an awful time or do you just recommend me clock on the bubble button? Thank-you 🤍

17 REPLIES 17

@softech 

Lol.....somehow I see @Seawatersoul and I enjoying a drink overlooking the sea in our future!

@Seawatersoul 

I sent you a private message....the envelope icon at the top right corner of your screen next to your avatar.

I can tell some good friends were just made here, thanks to PM   

@Seawatersoul , you are lucky @darlicious  has lots of good tips to offer  🙂

@Seawatersoul 

Sneaky boyfriend....I got one of those too! Keep your data saver on as this prevents anyone from "hotspotting" your data thru bluetooth. So if you want to listen to music you can have your bluetooth on but your data can't be accessed by someone else. When you are ready I will show you how you can put a password in your phone on your personal wifi hotspot ( just like a password is needed for some free wifi or home wifi) so sneaky people will be thwarted.

Now I would hate to lose you as a customer but we might after you apply for this program that I have qualified for and you will as well as long as the place you are living can get telus home internet. They also offer a very affordable cell phone plan ( but can come with extra billing/overages unlike pm). I however stay with pm for my cell service because I put the work in to achieve $0 bills on my two accounts. So this works better for me! If you can get telus internet services then apply for the internet for good program that offers 2 years of renewable (upon proof) home internet of 25mbps data speed that is unlimited data service for $9.95/month.

Telus also offers a low cost refurbushed desktop pc for $100 or laptop for $130. The beforementioned mobile service is unlimited canada wide calling/texting and 3gb of data for $25/month. You would just have to be very careful about overages because they are expensive. It takes about a month to be approved once you submit proof of your disability status from the N.S. disabilty income program you are on. Call your worker to get the apporopriate documentation. I was able to get it online thru my self serve account but I still had to call in to find the right form. Click on the link below to learn what you need to do to qualify.

https://www.telus.com/en/about/news-and-events/media-releases/mobility-for-good-expands-into-nova-sc...

You can always tag me by tapping the "@"symbol at a box will pop up with member's usernames or keep typing til the name pops up. Otherwise feel free to send me a private message anytime! Tap and hold my username and my stats will come up and you can tap send a message. More later.....

BTW....say hi to my mom and dad they sold the Rose and Thistle B&B and built their forever home in a newer neighbourhood of Antigonish. I hoping to visit in September.

Seawatersoul

Omgoodness thank-you so sooooo much for all the info you have provided me...I'm most definitely not trying to be insensitive to the other replies but I believe you have given me the best information and advice so far ....the only part I didn't understand was about the 18G's of addons?  Does that mean you pay for each for 15 Bucks a G or you receive it thru another company m'dear? Sorry like you said strep learning curve and I also have really horrible anxiety with all the fixings of depression among mixed connective tissue disease which is 8 autoimmune diagnosis all packed into one name and it's extremely rare and hard to be treated for especially in Antigonish, Nova Scotia lol. Our health system eh😮 I went from having full access to wifi to moving in with my brilliant boyfriend who thought he had wifi but doesn't (he just really wanted me to come here and buy it for him but again, I'm on a disability budget and there are only few companies that allow access where he lives which I believe is another reason for the high in cutting data usage possibly but also found out he had somehow connected himself thru Bluetooth into my data and was using it as well apparently. Yes....only in the past two days have I learned to turn off access to background apps but I still keep getting all the notifications or course!! You have no idea how much I appreciate your help and time towards me and you also putting yourself in my shoes at the beginning of the message really helped to address my anxiety around the issue. It doesn't show me your name but I'll make sure to keep you in my conversations with the universe tonight and hopefully you recieved tenfold just for helping me and putting a smile on my face. I just thought it was better to pay 20 dollars for 2 extra gigs rather than 15 for one where I know I'm still going to need access, live out in the country area and don't drive at the current time. And I absolutely need the internet access to stay somewhat sane tbh lol..I'm almost at the point where I might just sign a contract with another company but I don't know and don't have the data to really be looking actually lol🤷🏻

@Seawatersoul 

Smartphones, data usage, public mobile.....it can be a steep learning curve but you'll get there I know because I've been in your position. But you'll get there and the community can help you. The great thing is unlike youtube or any other website that features video content or a lot of photography or graphics that just eats thru data.....pm and the community uses a relatively low amount of data maybe 50mb/1 hr. For the rest of this month fight the urge to watch youtube or scroll thru facebook, instagram etc.....unless you're on wifi. Come here instead.

I am assuming you activated on the $50/10.5gb plan with the 2gb bonus plan data? You don't want to change plans....it's not worth it. If you switch to the $70/15gb plan you will lose the 2gb of plan data so you would pay $20 for 2gb more data. Stay on the plan you have and learn how to conserve and manage your data usage. Some apps when you sign into them have in their settings the ability to turn off or limit  the video content they display. Google chrome and photos will also use a fair amount of data. Turn off your news feed and don't keep a bunch of tabs open on your phone.

Reigning in your data usage is best achieved thru the tools in your phone. First enable your data saver this will stop software updates, syncing, data backing up etc... from happening until you are on wifi. Set your data tracker to the current  30 day plan and adjust accordingly on months that have 31, 29 and 28 days. Your data resets at midnite eastern on the day of your renewal so keep the time difference in mind.

Next use your data warning and limiter. These tools in your phone are life savers when it comes to preventing your data from suddenly being consumed and not noticing until you get a text from pm saying you have used 75% or 95% of your total data (plan data+promo data+add on data).I set mine to 25% and 50% of my plan data and reset when necessary. While I only have 250mb of plan data I have 18gb of data ons one account alone.  So setting it to your plan data is important so you can stay within that alottment. You may want to set yours even lower....10% (1gb) and 20% (2gb) so that you can pace yourself and track your usage.

Finally turn off all background data usage in your app settings. It is simply not necessary and can be responsible for up to 38% of your data usage. By employing these data saving tools you will see a marked reduction in your usage.

@Seawatersoul  

how long into your current cycle?

are you always on high data usage or you just used it up accidentally? 

if you choose to change plan NOW, they will charge you now and start up the new cycle now.  If you are new to your current cycle, it's kind of a waste of the money for the current cycle.  Of course, if you need the data now, maybe you need to do it this way.

However, if you dun need the data now , today, I guess drag on till absolutely the last moment before you change plan.   

Also, you talked about you don't know why you have consumed all the data so fast.  Maybe you need to tighten up some of the background data usage first so you won't waste it again quick?  Try to disable some background data use for some app.. choices like only download when Wifi Available (like from Google Play Store/App store, like OS check and download).  You might want to disable Sync, etc.

@Seawatersoul wrote:

So do you think I should just switch plans to the 70 dollar plan right away? Will I still be allowed the promotion? I've tried to speak with the bot and I'm not finding anything out that way. 😬

Hello @Seawatersoul 

If you add funds to pay for the $70 plan (15GB) to your account, then choose the change your plan now, this should change you automatically to the $70 plan (remember to reboot after you make this change).

What promotion are you talking about? Promotions are usually (and currently) for only New Activations, not plan changes.

IF you are having an issue with too much data usage, try and turn it off when not needed.

If you are still running out, you must be a heavy data user and may need another provider's plan to suit your needs.

Seawatersoul

So do you think I should just switch plans to the 70 dollar plan right away? Will I still be allowed the promotion? I've tried to speak with the bot and I'm not finding anything out that way. 😬

Seawatersoul

Thankyouuuu 🙌🙌 you are all such lovely people and by saying "luvie" I'm a cape bretoner and it's a term of endearment which I probably shouldn't be using in such a forum and format my apologies. It's like sweetie or dear. I was able to find out what sucked up all my data which was YouTube videos however I haven't watched a video all day and the damage was done yesterday and today unfortunately...I'm still learning and totally need a crash course in this stuff lol. But I am truly grateful for your help and taking the time to even want to try to help me...it is greatly appreciated 💛🙏

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Seawatersoul wrote:

Ditto here too fellow member. As a new member I am struggling a little bit with why all my data is somehow gone already when barely used. Do you know what I could potentially type into the search bar....I'm having an awful time or do you just recommend me clock on the bubble button? Thank-you 🤍

Hello @Seawatersoul 

I think if I didn't have access to wifi, it would be difficult for me to find out how much data I would require per cycle.

Check out your usage on your Self Serve account to try and find out if this was 1 or more large bursts of usage or a steady use.

You should be able to search your phone and apps to see what is sucking up most data usage as well.

Install an app to track your ‘live’ usage so you can keep track. Public Mobile are 30 day plans (not monthly).

If you are android, try this one:

Data Witness app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/detailsid=com.iwik.datawitnesspm&hl=en_CA&gl=US

I use this one myself and it gives me exactly what I need from it.

If you are an Apple user, I am sure there is a 30-day app that is available as well.

Managing Your Data Usage:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Seawatersoul : "on luvie"? Maybe post a screenshot of your overview page so we can what you see. Blank out personal info of course.

Edit: If someone is connecting to your phone and using your data through it then absolutely that's using your data. If you're connecting to anything else other than your own data then no you wouldn't be using your data. Keep your data toggled off when not in use.

Seawatersoul

I didn't make any calls using data? But I was hooked into someone else's phone and data thru tethering and Bluetooth... would that still consume my data m'dear?

Seawatersoul

And sorry yes all I have is my smartphone to check on luvie 😔

Seawatersoul

P.s.thankyou sooooo so much!!! You have no idea how securing it feels to have an entire community to talk to and listen to and try to help!!!  I've always had wifi so I don't even know much about data tbh 😬🥺🤔

Seawatersoul

Wow I didn't know any of that but I still feel like I'm loosing a little hope...I'm only within my first/second week and having to switch to the 70$ plan 🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️ and now I'm just using the promotional data I was given. Does anyone know if I can still get that extra data if I make the switch to the 70 dollar plan or is it worth it? 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Seawatersoul ,  Like @Anonymous , you can  logon to My Account and you will see the an entry on the overview tab for your data usage

Or in My Account,  Payment and Add-Ons Tab-> Usage History, you can display then date range according to your current cycle, then  sort by Call type Web and you can tell if the usage make sense

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Seawatersoul : Can you log in to your self-serve account? My Data & Add-ons shows your consumable counters. If you don't see a countable feature then you've used it all.Or are you checking your phone? Your phone needs to be sync'd with the 30 day renewal period here...not monthly.

If you dial 611 you can check your available data as well if you have your 4 digit PIN.

Need Help? Let's chat.