Did you mean: 

Re: Account Security of Public Mobile

shortword
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for the info

4 REPLIES 4

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Also, everyone honestly should be using services like dashlane or last pass for that extra layer of security, if your passwords aren't easy to guess you are far less likely to be a victim of this kind of attack.

@Dunkman wrote:

Then contact moderator for help.  They might be able to restore your old SIM card.  Or you might need to purchase another SIM card and change yourself.

I have not heard of an incident where moderators have *not* been able to restore service to the original SIM for this type of situation. It is a much better solution than having to acquire/purchase another SIM to restore service as a victim of this.

So after marking service as lost/stolen, contacting moderators should be the next order of business...

Of course, if you have a cheap SIM on hand already, changing SIM that one manually yourself will immediately restore service without having to interact with moderators...

PayPal seems to be the primary target for this service. I have not read any accounts of other services being affected from those who have reported on the forums so far...

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@shortword there was a Telus family security breach in Feb 2020. since you had an account at that time you were most likely affected. 

there is no point in changing providers. your best option is to learn how to protect your identity. every provider has been hacked(google it)

we're living in a digital age 

if you would like some security I suggest following these tips:

create an email strictly for public mobile
change your name and address on your self serve account
don't use your personal email password for the pm website
don't use a password manager(chrome, safari, etc. browsers
don't use your cellphone number as a 2fa for banks, PayPal etc

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@shortword wrote:

I was just a victim of sim swapping. Any notification about any change to my account would be nice. An email confirmation. I didn't get anything and now I'm going to change providers because that's crazy.

@shortword 

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Unfortunately, this is a popular scam and it can happen to any mobile company.  Difficult for PM to detect this type of scam to alert customers.  

Report your phone lost/stolen to suspend number.

To report your phone  lost/stolen.  Login to your account.  Choose Plans and Add-ons tab. Then choose Lost/Stolen Phone tab.  The choose Suspend Service tab.  

Change the password to your self service account to something stronger.  Also check any online banking/financial accounts and change passwords, etc. 

Then contact moderator for help.  They might be able to restore your old SIM card.  Or you might need to purchase another SIM card and change yourself.

To contact moderator via 2 methods:

New Ticketing system - faster

Click on the question mark on the right lower corner of website to start ticketing process to contact moderator.  Type: SIM card swap. Follow the prompts to submit ticket.  

Send a private message to moderator through the following link :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.