cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RCS using WI-FI

Kc96
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Can anyone confirm if RCS works of you only have a wi-fi connection ( no connection to cell tower)

20 REPLIES 20

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Kc96  Thank you for posting an update. Stay safe!

Kc96

I can confirm that RCS works fine on wifi only with out any mobile network in area. But as mentioned previously it only works with other individuals that also have RCS enabled. 

@gpixel  good job. It kind of works. I think.

I stayed connected at least.

I tried sending myself a message. Got this.  "Waiting For Connection" . Screenshot below.

I then messaged someone else that has RCS. The message says "Delivered" but have no idea if they in fact got it or will only get it when I actually turn off airplane mode. As it does not say "read". 

Screenshot_20210105_200751.jpg

@Jb456

•  connect your phone to RCS when airplane mode is disabled. 
  • then enable airplane mode 
  • enable wifi
  • check to see if there's good news

@Kc96 

take note that this will only work if the other party also has RCS enabled. RCS won't send regular sms. 

android has web text that you can setup though

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@sheytoon  it sure does get confusing these days with all the different things available.

Vowifi needs wifi where similar (but not same) is volte that needs a network. Vowifi you can call n text over wifi if the provider offers it. Koodo does PM does not. Then there's RCS lol.

Wish some genius tech would make one thing for everything haha.

Kc96

Thanks everyone for the feedback. 

Kc96

I'm headed somewhere tomorrow where there is no mobile service. Will know for certain than. Currently It is working on airplane mode with wifi on. So we will see.

Kc96

Yes correct. That's exactly what I was asking. I was hoping it could still be utilized over wifi even when no mobile network was available 

@Jb456 yeah it's a mystery. Could be different behaviour for every phone, who knows. I always assumed RCS over WiFi would only work when VoWiFi was deployed, but that's obviously not true.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jb456 wrote:

Like my old Honor 6x. Where I left data off 💯 percent. And I was still able to send / receive MMS. Some other phones I think Z10user mentioned also. That they can send receive MMS without turning on data as the phone does it automatically.

I wonder if there is a setting on your phone that connects to the network for a second or two to verify your number to connect to RCS?

My stock Samsung S7 running A8 did. My stock Samsung A31 running A10 does not. Could be due to dual SIM.

@sheytoon  hey check your voicemail I left you 😝 lol.

Interesting. Lucky you. I left it on "connecting" for like 10 minutes. Eventually it switched to "Trying to verify your number"

Screenshot_20210105_184750.jpg

Trying to verify did nothing since I have airplane mode on and cut from the network.

Which poses the question. I wonder if it's based on the models of phone you have? Maybe a hidden setting somewhere?

Like my old Honor 6x. Where I left data off 💯 percent. And I was still able to send / receive MMS. Some other phones I think Z10user mentioned also. That they can send receive MMS without turning on data as the phone does it automatically.

I wonder if there is a setting on your phone that connects to the network for a second or two to verify your number to connect to RCS?

I didn't do anything special...

IMG-20210105-WA0014.jpg

@sheytoon  care to share how?

I put my phone on airplane mode, turned on WiFi and it would not connect to RCS. 😭

I didn't think it would work, but I just tested it and was able to send and receive RCS messages on Wi-Fi without cellular connectivity.

@Triguy  yes I know what RCS is. Just saying that it does work on Public Mobile. However it appears it does not work if I cut the connection to the PM network which I think is what the OP is asking. 

@Jb456 

Next-Gen Messaging sends messages over Wi-Fi or cellular data when Wi-Fi is unavailable, rather than through traditional SMS. This means, if you do not have a data plan and are not connected to Wi-Fi, your messages will be sent as SMS, or you may incur pay-per-use data charges when using Next-Gen Messaging.

If you only want to use Next-Gen Messaging in a Wi-Fi connected area, please ensure you turn chat features off when leaving a Wi-Fi connected area to avoid unexpected data charges.

@Triguy  It does work on Public Mobile I use it sometimes. If your phone supports it.

Screenshot_20210105_171715.jpg

I'm not sure but I think the OP is asking if it will work with completely no connection to PM network. Which that part I don't think it will work as when I put my phone on airplane mode it would not connect.

If I'm not mistaken I believe they are kind of asking if it will work similar to iPhones iMessage. 

Not to familiar with iMessage but pretty sure it continues to work even if you don't have the phone or cell number any longer. Based on past threads where people say. I just joined, selected a new number and my iMessages are going to someone else's phone. Then we give them the link to deregister iMessage from other phones through the Apple servers.

Hopefully the OP writes back and let's us know.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

It will work over Wi-Fi.  I don't think PM offers it but Telus does.  Here is more info.

https://www.telus.com/en/ns/support/article/android-next-gen-messaging-explained

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Kc96  I removed my first post to you as after reading your post again I think you mean completely no cell service?

If that's the case I do not think it works. I just placed my phone on airplane mode and its stuck at connecting.

Screenshot_20210105_165702.jpg

So i believe you'd still need a sim and number for RCS to work with a connection to the network. 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Edited.

Need Help? Let's chat.