cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about Public Mobile and IPhone compatabilitu

neymarmessiop
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello Public Mobile!

I have heard about this service from my friends and It is really cheap and runs off a telus network as i was told but I had a few questions.

1. Does everything work properly with Iphone (Imessage, Voicemail, LTE)

2. Does this service provide lte ? If yes, can someone post the speeds if they have it?

3.When I choose 1GB in 90 days, does that mean the 1GB will be for 30 days or the entire 90?

4. In Edmonton, AB there are 2 area codes (587 and 780). Do you guys provide any 780 because I would really want that instead of 587? (I am not porting over a number, I want a new one)

5. Is voicmail and caller id etc free services with any plan or do i have to pay seperatly for them?

6. Will mms work? ( I will have data on my plan)

I think thats all the questions i have right now. I will update if i have something else.

My sim card should arrive this week so im excited

Thank you

11 REPLIES 11

@neymarmessiop Hmm...that sounds like a pretty good reason to not choose a different area code.

Have you considered using a VoIP app like Fongo? This would give you the flexibility of choosing a 780 are code (which they do offer), and you can still use PM for your data service (which you will need to be able to make/receive calls and texts with Fongo).

Aside from getting a 780 number to use, the benefit will be two fold:

- You will save money over if you had a voice & text plan with a cellular provider

- You will be able to use your 780 area code phone number from wherever in the world you may end up traveling to (including, but not limited to, the United States).

neymarmessiop
@7789849803 I work in a business and everyone has to use 780 number regardless of the carrier they are with.

Thanks for your response, @Kalla_A. It's good to have clarity on the topic!

@neymarmessiop Would you care to elaborate on your preference for a 780 number? Maybe there's other suggestions that we can make accordingly?

Kalla_A
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @7789849803,

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to offer @neymarmessiop as we do not own any. We only offer 587 area codes. 

Sorry about that @neymarmessiop Smiley Sad

Thanks,

Kalla

Given how this is an important issue to @neymarmessiop and could potentially win PM a new customer, I think this question is worthy of a moderator's intervention.

@Kalla_A Is there any chance PM may be able to offer @neymarmessiop a 780 area code phone number?

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Sorry for the repeats @Luddite, my computer needs coffee today .. consistently 5-10 minutes late.  

imm1304

PM is getting the new area codes.  Even in Toronto, PM customers get the new 437 area code.  

If you really badly want a 780 number then porting is the only option.  I don't think its too much work as long as you dont have to make too much effort to get that Telus prepaid line.  

The actual porting a number part isn't much work at all.  Simply enter the relevant info on the "Change Number" page in your selfserve and wait.  Usually processes in less than an hour.  

Just make sure to use a different email address when you sign up for the Telus prepaid line.  This will avoid any delays in porting over.  

Yes you could do that. Sign up with anyone else to get a number you want then port it. Suspect it will not be free. I had a friend who did that with Fido; think it cost him $10 but that was 18 months ago. If you do go with Telus/Koodo it's best to begin your PM account with temporary number then port after the account is established. You must also use differnt email adresses for the Telus/Koodo and PM when creating accounts. 

Good luck.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

neymarmessiop
Ah I see.
Thank you for all the answer. Since 3G is 15 down, it won't make a difference from 45 down when web browsing and browsing Facebook feed etc.
Can someone tell me why 780 numbers aren't availible ? This might be a game changer for me but if there's no way to get it through PM, might just get a telus prepaid number (will be a 780) then port it over to PM.
Is this a good idea or is it too much work?
Again thanks for all the replies! Much appreciated

imm1304

Hey @neymarmessiop,

@Luddite already answered all the questions.  I would like to add extra comment about the LTE speeds.  The LTE coverage will be identical to Telus and Koodo... we are on the same network.  In the GTA, I get LTE coverage in majority of places.  I am reluctant to try LTE speedtest at the moment because it ate up 90MB of data in one test the last time... result was 40Mbps down, 15Mbps up.  

Also worth noting is that the 3g/HSPA+ coverage is excellent.  Someone had asked about 3G speeds few months ago.  So I chose 3G mode on my phone and did a speedtest and uploaded the screen shot.  Here is a link:  http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/media/gallerypage/user-id/4837/image-id/1110iA08374E7C...

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

Here you are:

1. yes, you must have an unocked phone or locked to Telus/Koodo

2. yes, speed varies from place to place and often defaults to 3G

3. 90 days

4. only 587 is showing as a choice

5. free

6. yes, data plan not required for MMS but data must be turned on and APN settings correct

If you have any other q's let us know.

Just remembered: be sure to register one of your friends' PM phone numbers in the referral area to get a $1/30 day reward 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.