cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding cell towers

ccdevmike
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have downloaded the network cell info app and notice that my phone does not seem to use the Telus tower that is closest to me. Its actually on the next property to me. The phone seems to lock on to a cell tower across the harbor instead of the closest one. Why would that be? Am I in the RF shadow as am underneath the hill its on?. Are not all Telus tower compatible with PM? Just wondering why?

Thanks!

44 REPLIES 44

ccdevmike

@geopublic I'll try setting to LTE only. I think it is already but will double check.

Thanks 

@ccdevmike 

A cell tower right beside likely doesn't have an optimal signal and direction for your phone to connect to it. Whereas the cell tower farther away probably has the transmitter in the right azimuth and height for your phone to connect to the strongest signal. It's like going to the movies.....the seats closest to the screen do not provide the best viewing position but @sheytoon is the resident expert on this subject. You can glean better information from the following map that will help you understand.

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

@ccdevmike  3G is required by Public Mobile only for calling everything else can use  LTE (4G). To verify if the tower near you is only an LTE tower set your device to only use LTE(4G) and restart your phone. Does it connect to the tower nearest you? If yes, you should still be able to send/receive texts and use data. 

@ccdevmike since Telus are converting HSPA towers to LTE, I would have to say they are different. but they do run on some of the same frequency bands.

I think we'll get full LTE for a while, but we'll get volte and maybe a higher throttle. to keep the costs down

the fact of the matter is, we don't need full LTE.. the average person which is 98% doesnt need full LTE speeds. if you're not streaming 1080p or higher. you don't need it

ccdevmike

I wonder if PM will move us over to 4G in the future? Price would have to go up I would guess???

ccdevmike

Also, do 4G cell sites not have 3G connectivity also? Sorry don't know how this works.

ccdevmike

Ok! Yes that could be. They just upgraded the antennas on this tower a few months ago. So PM does not use any 4G/LTE connectivity? Only 3G connectivity?

Thanks!

@ccdevmike I think the reason is because that tower that's closer to you is an LTE tower and public mobile needs HSPA (3g) to use phone calls and text

*pm uses LTE but only for data. if making phone calls/sms it will use hspa

hopefully we get that "volte" soon. since Telus is reducing our coverage...

ccdevmike

ccdevmike

Thanks. I'm a ham radio operator and do understand rf propagation. I'm not totally sure how cell sites work but am interested. Next time I'm in town or close to the cell site I'll check out my connection status. 

Just wondered if anyone had the answer to this question. I'll keep researching online also.

Thanks for the answers so far. 

@ccdevmike wrote:

I have downloaded the network cell info app and notice that my phone does not seem to use the Telus tower that is closest to me. Its actually on the next property to me. The phone seems to lock on to a cell tower across the harbor instead of the closest one. Why would that be? Am I in the RF shadow as am underneath the hill its on?. Are not all Telus tower compatible with PM? Just wondering why?

Public Mobile is owned by Telus.

Cellular signal travels further over an area without physical barriers and obstructions. This means that connecting to somehwhere further away might be more ideal at that location.  Also, the strongest signal from an cell tower is not immediately next to it. The signal goes out in a certain "shape" and if you're on the outskirts of that, the signal will be weaker. Somewhere closer can actually be further out on the signal "dome".  I think that @sheytoon may be able to explain that concept better than I can.  Also, the more directional an attenna is, the less it spreads out in all directions (except to where it's directly pointed). 

Also remember that those apps are often crowd sourced and will never be completely accurate. 

@Triguy wrote:

PM usually uses Telus and Bell towers.

not just usually - only and always Telus/BWA for service while connected to a Canadian network

ccdevmike

Thanks. I have seen the coverage maps and tower locations already but doesn't answer my question.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM usually uses Telus and Bell towers.

Need Help? Let's chat.