cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question: Can I port number twice?

ryanwoo
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Can I port a number from Bell first then port another number again? Reason is I need to stop the bell serive (tablet plan) first asap, then I will port my old number from fongo in.

Thanks in advance.

15 REPLIES 15

@ssouza01  How much are you paying for your ipad/data only plan? How much is the device subsidy? Is it postpaid? What date does your next billing period start? How many months left on your contract?

Your phone plan....prepaid or postpaid? New billing period starts when? Are you on contract? If so how much is your plan? And your device subsidy? Months remaining?

Answer these questions and I can advise you on your best strategy for exiting virgin.....

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ssouza01 wrote:

My greatest concern is that I won't be able to port that number associated to a data plan only iPad currently with Virgin and then I won't be able to use the sim card at all. Do you know if those data only numbers that are assigned to data only plans are portable ? 

I've never ported a number. I suspect the recipient carrier only cares about a number. If that is being ported to a talk/text/data plan then so be it. But like I said...I've never ported a number. There are other far smarter than me people around here. Perhaps they'll chime in.

Edit: and there one is 🙂

@ssouza01 wrote:

My greatest concern is that I won't be able to port that number associated to a data plan only iPad currently with Virgin and then I won't be able to use the sim card at all. Do you know if those data only numbers that are assigned to data only plans are portable ? 

Carriers consider this to just be another cellular service phone number. There's no difference.

ssouza01
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ssouza01 wrote:

End result is I stop getting invoiced by Virgin for 2 things.

1) iPad plan I never use anymore. I cannot pay it off now but once I port the number associated to it I stop monthly plan charges and then I can pay off the remaining balance in a few months time.

2) then i can port my cell phone number $70 for 10gb plan that I no longer need especially in these upcoming months of covid.  But since I cannot use same Sim I no longer have to wait to do 1).

What do you think? 

You already have the answer in this thread. It just takes 31 days. Start with any number here. If you don't need one of the two numbers you have over there then port it over first. That stops that account. You'll square up with them at your leisure. Then 31 days later port over #2. That leaves you with the number you want on your one PM account.

ssouza01

End result is I stop getting invoiced by Virgin for 2 things.

1) iPad plan I never use anymore. I cannot pay it off now but once I port the number associated to it I stop monthly plan charges and then I can pay off the remaining balance in a few months time.

2) then i can port my cell phone number $70 for 10gb plan that I no longer need especially in these upcoming months of covid.  But since I cannot use same Sim I no longer have to wait to do 1).

What do you think? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ssouza01 wrote:

Thanks for the response. I  received my Sim card today and my new question is whether I need two Sims to port first the tablet number and then port the phone. Or whether I can port first tablet number and later under a different account with the same Sim port the second phone number.... Can you please walk me through the steps ? Ideally I only want to use one sim card. 

...the waters get muddier...

What is the overall end result you're looking for?

@ssouza01 hi if you have two numbers you need 2 emails and 2 sims, 2 separate sign ups sims are on sale now for 3.99 at https://canadiancellsupplies.com/

ssouza01

Thanks for the response. I  received my Sim card today and my new question is whether I need two Sims to port first the tablet number and then port the phone. Or whether I can port first tablet number and later under a different account with the same Sim port the second phone number.... Can you please walk me through the steps ? Ideally I only want to use one sim card. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ssouza01 wrote:

I want to do the same. We're you able to do this ? I am with Virgin and need to port number for tablet and then immediately the number for my phone. Can someone help?

@ssouza01 

Did you read the reply from a mod from almost 4 years ago? The OP also hasn't posted for 2 years. Could easily be long gone...but not necessarily.

Porting is the same as changing a number....once per 30 days.

@ssouza01 are you asking if you can port 2 numbers? if so  the answer is yes but keep in mind you will need separate emails for each number that you port also your phone will need to be unlocked

ssouza01

I want to do the same. We're you able to do this ? I am with Virgin and need to port number for tablet and then immediately the number for my phone. Can someone help?

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @ryanwoo

As @pmobile mentioned, you are allowed to 1 number changer per 30 days 🙂

Thanks,

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

pmobile
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
I know with Telus and Koodo you can do multiple number ports/changes but only once per billing cycle. Just speculation but I would imagine that Public Mobile would be similar to that.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

It could be possible, but i am not really sure. 

PM staff can confirm this. @Shazia_K @Mary_M

Need Help? Let's chat.