cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quarantine

nguifombeoh
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I was wondering if there are any PM measures taken to help customers who are isolated. So far, I understand that there is free roaming in relation to the US. What about those of us here in Canada, is there any data promotion going on. The internet is really a useful tool at this crucial moment. 

Thank you 

25 REPLIES 25

@BearFBI 

Low earth orbit satellite is improving speeds and latency over the previous high earth orbit satellites. We cruise quite a bit and cruise ships are starting to change over to the low earth satellite system for Internet access which is quite a noticible improvement. But as for faster than fibre connections? 

AE_Collector

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Teksavvy might be available where Eastlink is

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@tehowennathe Have you heard of Starlink? Its a ISP that is going to provide global satellite internet coverage to the world in 2021. And in canada and US in the summer of 2020. Its supposed to be faster than fiber because they use low earth orbit satellites. There are going to be more than 12000 satellites. Its really interesting. They are supposed to offer gigabit speeds for somewhere around 80$ a month or 90$ Its owned by Spacex and Elon musk himself. The user terminal isn't expensive either. About 300$. This is far better than the satellite internet now witch only offer 3MB max speed and super high latency and their terminals are like 300000$

https://www.starlink.com/

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It's limited providers in my town. So will have to research

BearFBI

@tehowennathe Wow! If possible I would change. Local providers uasally use the same lines as the big providers in your area so i dont know why its that bad. I live in Sudbury and we have Vianet here. They lease Eastlink's lines.

tehowennathe

It's a local cable company and their fastest unlimited plan. They just do a horrible job for internet. After being stuck home it made me realize I need to change providers at home.

BearFBI

@tehowennathe its either high latency or not enough bandwidth. Who are you with? I would try upgrading your internet package to one with higher bandwidth. Because your data is only 3MB speeds. I would complain with your ISP if your getting speeds below 3MB. Thats bad. Especially if your paying for it. I pay 80$ a month for 150 down and 15 up. Its a local provider too!

tehowennathe

It's a small town local cable provider. It's perfect when not busy but once network is congested it becomes unusable at times. The running joke in town is you know when whole town is online because nothing loads. 

tehowennathe

People who use my home internet provider say the exact same thing. Loading a YouTube video it just takes long to load. When tons are online Facebook or even Twitter take long to load. I switch to data and it opens right away. 

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@nguifombeoh the only data promotion right now is half price on 1G add on. Know that Gig doesn't expire either. Not sire of any other promotions other then really cheap bills. Lol

cheers have a great week!

BearFBI

@tehowennathe How slow can it be? Your data is slow too. Its only 3 Down and up. If possible I would buy a faster tier internet package for now.

tehowennathe

Lately I been using my data more then home WiFi because my internet provider uses a shared connection. With more people being home it's painfully slow. More slow then when people where living normal lives. For certain things my home wifi is ok but for others it's faster on my data. There are many like me who would may get faster speeds on their phone. 

smiley3

I'd consider setting up wifi in your home if you don't have it.  Probably a lot cheaper than trying to rely on phone data to connect to the internet.

Most people probably have the opposite problem that since they are at home connected to their wifi all the time they are barely using any of their data....should probably consider switching to a cheaper plan until this quarantine time is over.

@nguifombeoh wrote:

Oh really? Half price? How?

You can see the add-on prices by logging onto your account

or here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans

In Canada Data Add-Ons⁷

-  1 GB Data    $15
Unused data won’t expire until you’ve used it. Limited time pricing.

-  200 MB Data   $10
Unused data won't expire until you’ve used it.

nguifombeoh

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. 

nguifombeoh

Oh really? Half price? How?

nguifombeoh

I'm grateful. Will look into that

nguifombeoh

Thank you

nguifombeoh

Thanks

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

The 1GB data add-on is currently being offered for $15.  If you have limited minutes or make long distance calls overseas using wi-fi apps  like WhatsApp, Skype, and Textnow can save you from long distance charges.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@nguifombeoh if you find yourself short on data it's best to temporarily switch to a plan with more data. Such as the $50 hybrid plan with 8.5 gigs of data with autopay. Here's an article on switching plans 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/change-your-plan

20200416_143943.jpg

This plan below 

Screenshot_20200323-100237.jpgStay safe.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@nguifombeoh

The current price of the 1 GB Data Add-on is $15 instead of $30.

1 GB Data                                   $15
Unused data won’t expire until you’ve used it. Limited time pricing.

It's true that it was not announced, so the offer could come to an end at any time.

You can buy as many add-ons as you want. There is no limit, but remember generally no refunds either.

PM announcements related to Covid can be found here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATED-Public-Mobile-response-to-COVID...

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@nguifombeoh 1GB of data is 15$ now instead of 30$. All promo and info because of COVID  is here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATED-Public-Mobile-response-to-COVID...

Well data is next to useless to some who are staying at home and critical to others staying at home. The difference is whether they have internet wifi access at home or not.

Yes they cut the price in half for the 250Mb and 1Gb data plans recently due to Covid-19.

AE_Collector

BearFBI

@nguifombeoh Data addons are now 15$. They used to be 30$. I dont know if this is permanent or limited time. PM never announced it. There aren't going to be any promotions in a while. COVID-19 is screwing them up. What else do you need? PM already offers cheap plans. I suggest switching to the 15$ plan temporarily you are not already on it. While staying at home data is useless. Only switch plans at the end of your cycle as it restarts it. 

Also welcome to PM!

Need Help? Let's chat.