cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Push Notifications for private messages

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

This is a suggestion to add push notifications to the PM website. Seeing as Lucky Mobile is a direct competitor and they offer CC. What about PM doing a minor upgrade and adding notifications something along the lines of how Facebook sends notifications when logged in through a browser ex. chrome. For me I think being able to be notified when a private message from a moderator or anybody else would make a big difference. I think many customers would definitely appreciate this. Being able to respond to the reply in a more timely manner instead of going on the website and seeing the message 20-30 min later. majority of people aren't gonna sit there and wait to see if they recieved a reply yet or not. I think it would be a more efficient way of handling account problems that people would like fixed right away. I'd like to know what the PM community thinks about this? Thinking about the masses, I think this would be very beneficial for the company and the customers.

22 REPLIES 22

All good @gpixel , just making sure you know you can always post suggestions.  Some replies may seem negative only because many long-term people here have suggested many improvements with little to no action and I guess sometimes frustration shows through in our posts as well 

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Anonymous  @ShawnC13 sorry about the replies I was having some personal issues at home, i shouldn't of taken out on you guys. my apologies. your work arounds are definitely a good solution!

@gpixel wrote:

This is a suggestion to add push notifications to the PM website. Seeing as Lucky Mobile is a direct competitor and they offer CC. What about PM doing a minor upgrade and adding notifications something along the lines of how Facebook sends notifications when logged in through a browser ex. chrome. For me I think being able to be notified when a private message from a moderator or anybody else would make a big difference. I think many customers would definitely appreciate this. Being able to respond to the reply in a more timely manner instead of going on the website and seeing the message 20-30 min later. majority of people aren't gonna sit there and wait to see if they recieved a reply yet or not. I think it would be a more efficient way of handling account problems that people would like fixed right away. I'd like to know what the PM community thinks about this? Thinking about the masses, I think this would be very beneficial for the company and the customers.

I think that the idea is fine, but I wouldn't hold your breath as to if Public Mobile would do this and even if they said they were going to, how long it would take to implement.

I know that it was brought up that some people don't check e-mail all that often. There are many apps that either have full push e-mail for immediate notfication or some that allow you to have the client check at predetermined time intervals. I know that there might be a delay of a few mintues for the actual e-mail message about the private message to be sent out, but I'm not sure how much difference a matter of few minutes will make for a customer.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gpixel 

I know I for one acknowledged your suggestion. It's a fine suggestion. It's just very unlikely to be implemented.

So the rest of this thread was about how it works now and some workarounds.

Cheers

Get some rest.

None of this matters.

@gpixel wrote:

@Anonymous  have you even seen what's happening on the forums right now? don't even reply. I'm not wasting my time on you.

I'm not like you guys, I'm not here for your $20 discount. clearly there is problem, if you guys can't see that. then open your eyes and actually read what the customers are saying.

@ShawnC13 do you really believe the majority of people are gonna login to their computer when they have a computer in the palm of their hands. "common sense" 

@gpixel  as you edited after my post was made I will answer the part you directed to me.  Yes, I know many people that use PM would rather communicate through their computer than their phone.  Much easier for them.  

For being here for 4 days it seems like your feathers are all ruffled up and not sure why

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@gpixel wrote:

@Anonymous  have you even seen what's happening on the forums right now? don't even reply. I'm not wasting my time on you.

I'm not like you guys, I'm not here for your $20 discount. clearly there is problem, if you guys can't see that. then open your eyes and actually read what the customers are saying.

@gpixel  What is with this post??  No need for rude comments.  @Anonymous  doesn't get the $20 community reward, only the 6 Oracles do, is there an issue with the Oracles you would like to discuss privately?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gpixel wrote:

@gpixel 

Wow.

Maybe you'll like my solution anyway. Or other readers might like it.

Allow private message notifications.

Set up a forwarding rule in your email system to see emails from here.

Forward to (your 10 digit phone number)@msg.telus.com.

A pm comes to you. A notification goes to your email. Your email system executes the rule and texts you the email. You see it in your texting app.

Done.

Maybe others might like this. You can p1$$ off for all I care.

@gpixel wrote:

@Anonymous @darlicious @iliketotalk  i don't think you guys understand what I'm talking about. I wasn't talking about email notifications or RSS feeds for the forums... I'm talking about getting push notifications. yes if you have a email app this would inform you of notifications from a private message from a moderator, I think. I'm not even sure this is accurate. I think the only way to find out if you have a message is to log on the the community and see if you have a private message. 

"Push notifications are small messages that can reach audiences anywhere and anytime. While pop-ups appear only when audiences are on the site they belong to, push messages are independent of sites. They are associated with web browsers and apps."

for private messages this is a godsend. I'm not talking about forums or getting emails because I don't want that either, that's why I disabled it. this is independent of that. this is only for smartphones, which is how the majority of customers are contacting moderators. this is not for the community, this is for the masses. if you look on the comments on the Facebook Public Mobile page, you'll probably understand where I'm coming from.

Are you sure that the majority are contacting moderators from Smartphones?  Even if this is true if they have a smartphone I would think that they have an email app on it as well to get notified of any private messages.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gpixel 

"yes if you have a email app this would inform you of notifications from a private message from a moderator, I think. I'm not even sure this is accurate.

It is.

"I think the only way to find out if you have a message is to log on the the community and see if you have a private message."

Incorrect. You just don't like that the only way is via an email notification. See above.

"if you look on the comments on the Facebook Public Mobile page, you'll probably understand where I'm coming from."

I don't do no stinkin' Facebook. 🙂

So yes...it is your suggestion. I'd say good luck with that. Things move at a snails pace if at all around here.

Without investigating...can your email server/account/client be configured with a rule that upon receiving a particular email that it would then send you a text to inform you

@darlicious push notifications are the notifications you get from ex. Snapchat, Facebook messenger, email apps, twitter. if you login to Facebook on a browser not the app, you get the same result. so this can be done without an app, they just need to implement onto the website.

Screenshot_20200414-195020.png

Screenshot_20200414-195037.png

@gpixel  Yep you're right....clueless in that regard I'll have to read up on that one. But you can set to only get an email notification for private messages only.

@Anonymous @darlicious @iliketotalk  i don't think you guys understand what I'm talking about. I wasn't talking about email notifications or RSS feeds for the forums... I'm talking about getting push notifications. yes if you have a email app this would inform you of notifications from a private message from a moderator, I think. I'm not even sure this is accurate. I think the only way to find out if you have a message is to log on the the community and see if you have a private message. 

"Push notifications are small messages that can reach audiences anywhere and anytime. While pop-ups appear only when audiences are on the site they belong to, push messages are independent of sites. They are associated with web browsers and apps."

for private messages this is a godsend. I'm not talking about forums or getting emails because I don't want that either, that's why I disabled it. this is independent of that. this is only for smartphones, which is how the majority of customers are contacting moderators. this is not for the community, this is for the masses. if you look on the comments on the Facebook Public Mobile page, you'll probably understand where I'm coming from.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@gpixel I agree. Phone push notifications would be great. I personally don't check my email frequently so can't know immediately whether or not I received a PM from someone. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gpixel 

No need to bother the moderators. iliketotalk and darlicious have it. I get emails if and when someone sends me a pm (which is an option) and if and when a post of mine is selected as the solution (which I don't think has an option). That's it. (well...and company emails) It used to be that we could see the text of the pm in that email but not anymore.

There are bunch of others primarily around subscribing to threads and such. I'm not interested in a crap load of emails every time someone posts something in a thread I happened to subscribe to. So I turn off subscribing and those notifications.

Hi @gpixel 

I already tagged him:)

I hope they consider it, would definitely help people who wait.

@gpixel  You can do this in your profiles settings to be notified by email of private messages and other thread notifications.

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@gpixel wrote:

@gpixel hi if you click on your avatar you will see subscriptions and notifications in notifications you can set it up in various ways hope this helps

@totalUser what users should be tagged? 

I don't need the prize, this is for the customers and better Public Mobile.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@gpixel wrote:

I agree with this for sure. My most recent moderator email I didn't respond for 8 hours because I was not on during that time. Good suggestion @gpixel 

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Very good idea actually.

You should probably tag couple off people in charge, they don't check all the messages.

There was also thread for suggestions, I'll dig it out and post here

Here is the link

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/CONTEST-CLOSED-Help-us-redesign-our-boa... by @Alan_K 

Unfortunately you won't be considered for the prize, though I totally think you should be

Need Help? Let's chat.