cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Puk reset

Dreamer1959
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have reset my puk and the number of tries went down from 10 to 3. That was great for a couple weeks. Yesterday I had to re-enter the code after turning off my phone. Hit wrong number again before unlocking code was accepted. My delegate is I only have one more try left for future tries. What happens if I use up this last puk . I was told I would have to purchase a new card if this happens. Should I just go and replace the card now while my phone is working???

18 REPLIES 18

@Dreamer1959 try going to settings>cellular>SIM pin

hopefully the option is in there

it may ask you to enter your PUK code, so enter it correctly. you only have 1 more try

@Dreamer1959 is it possible for you to post a screenshot of your options ? Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is interesting. I would have thought the 10 countdown would have been 10 chances at the wrong code each time and then you get it right and then you do it wrong again...10 chances. But apparently not in your case.

Are you typing it in wrong once and getting it right meaning that the 10 countdown is total wrong attempts?

As mentioned, there must be a place to turn it off. If it was able to be turned on, it must be able to be turned off.

With it still active, I'm not sure what will happen upon replacing the SIM. If you can turn it off none of it would matter.

Dreamer1959

How do I turn off sim code on an iPhone 3

@Dreamer1959 you can add the new SIM card to your current plan through your self service account.  There's an option to change the sim there. 

As to not finding the SIM pin Settings -> Phone -> SIM PIN.  It should be there. When you have your new sim card. Before switching it, try a network reset on your IPhone and see if the SIM pin option  appears then. And even try a factory reset (backup your contact list  first.) 

@Dreamer1959 If you do need a new Sim card all you have to do is go into your self serve account and change your Sim card your phone number remains the same as per your account

Dreamer1959

When I purchase a new SIM card can I program it for the same phone number.

Dreamer1959

Ok i’ll Take your word for it. My phone is working now and I won’t turn it off again. I will purchase a new public’s card next time I am at Walmart in case.

Dreamer1959

when I go to settings /phone. There is no sim pin option on my Apple iPhone 3

@Dreamer1959 I believe you have 10 tries Each time as@gblackma says

@Dreamer1959 

How to turn off SIM PIN on your iPhone

1) Launch the Settings app, and go to Phone > SIM PIN, then disable the SIM PIN toggle.

2) Enter your PIN code in order to validate your request to disable SIM PIN, then tap Done.

Dreamer1959

It’s four years old. iPhone 3

Dreamer1959

I had to reset my puk last month after 7 tries. Everything worked out after talking to Telus who helped me do it. I was having problems here trying to reset my puk as you can see. Yesterday it came up and said I had three tries to unlock phone. I was able to enter it and get it to work after two tries. I assume I have 1 more try in the future.

@Dreamer1959 Is it an old Apple iPhone?

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Turn off "require SIM code" once you regain access. Even if you brick the SIM you will be able to change to a new one from within your self serve account. New SIMs never require a PUK. 

Dreamer1959

Apple iPhone. I don’t know why it happens. Yesterday I turned off the phone to go to the doctors office and when I turned it on I had to enter my puk password. I had three left and now I only have 1 left.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

I don't understand @Dreamer1959 where did you get the idea that you have only have 10 tries period? As far as I'm aware, you have 10 tries per lockout. Please answer @iliketotalk 's question. Thanks.

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@Dreamer1959 What kind of phone do you have why do you have to reset it when you turn it off?You will need a new Sim after 10 tries

Need Help? Let's chat.