cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Re: Public Mobile vs Telus Network

@arbutus wrote:

While the solution was accepted by someone, I disagree with it. It does not appear that Public Mobile gets the same quality of service as other Telus brands unless Telus/Koodo is worse than Bell Mobility.

I purchased a Bell SIM today to try out Bell Prepaid service and immediately noticed a much better voice quality. 

This is likely because of a VoLTE and use of different voice codecs. Public Mobile does not offer VoLTE. However, thisn't an actual difference in the network, but rather of the types of services that are provided.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@arbutus 

when I go to the telus coverage map and toggle lte, the difference seems to be much greater than before and we're on the HSPA+ network. so our coverage really isn't that great in the west... talk wise. especially when it's raining, the reception is worse...

oh well, we can have a cheap version of volte, sort of, by using Google Hangouts dialer

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

That's true, Google Hangouts is an option until the service is killed by Google later this year. I am using WhatsApp way too often these days to get a hold of the family (public mobile users as well). The question then arises as to why pay for a wireless service that you cannot use reliably 🙂 Sure, the obvious answer is find an alternative and pay more. 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@arbutus 

I see your reasoning  in disagreeing with the solution chosen Im assuming by @Luddite  but i also see why it was chosen as it does answer the initial question just not necessarily the more specific answer you were seeking. The network  remains the same even using bell but the services offered by the top tiers in the brands bell or telus offer services that utilize parts of the network that pm does not offer therefore does not use.

I'm sure @CFPartDeux  could weigh in as his public mobile reception was poor at home vs chatr (rogers). Overall the shared telus/bell network is a much more comprehensive  nationwide network but therevwill always be areas in this vast country that one networks coverage will have better service/reception than the other.

**  On a completely different note where did you purchase your bell sim? Canadian Cell Supplies currently has them offered at $0.49 +tax each including shipping via canada post.

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I bought it from Costco for $10 😀 

Bell is currently offering 4.5 GB (LTE) + Unlimited Canada Wide Calling for $45. Telus and Koodo have similar deals. 

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@darlicious wrote:

@arbutus 

I'm sure @CFPartDeux  could weigh in as his public mobile reception was poor at home vs chatr (rogers).

Ok.... what she said. Was that enough "weighing in" for ya? No?

Ok, it's simply a matter of being slightly closer to a Rogers tower, while at home.

Need Help? Let's chat.