cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Public Mobile vs Telus Network

The funny part is that I am less than 1 km away from one of the towers in PM/Anmore area (which is also used by Rogers). I am not sure if the antennas are directional and that's why I get better reception using Rogers/Fido network and not Telus. 

My initial thought was that PM was not using all of the bands that Telus has available.

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@arbutus if you really want the savings and it's only in your house that's usually having the issue than there are cellphone booster antennas you can purchase from Amazon for $90. and if it doesn't work for you, you can return it for a refund

Screenshot_20200801-151437.png

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

interesting, something I may consider. 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Yes, antennas are directional. You can see the azimuth of each sector on the ertyu map.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@arbutus 

Are you near a single tower or two close together (rogers and telus)? By hazarding a guess i compared the two towers in close proximity and indeed their differences would explain why rogers has a much stronger and more reliable signal for your location. The rogers tower at N49.3126 W122.8311 has a height of 69m and elevation of 458m. It has bands 700mHz, 850mHz, 1900mHz, 2100mHz and 2600mHz with azimuth 110, 190, 290 and the higher bandz have 150, 240 and most importantly for you omni directional transmitters.

The telus tower located at N49.3122 W122.8304 despite having double the transmitters has some  severe disadvantages. First its height at 62m/66m but its elevation at a mere 46.1m was a surprise and it does not have the 2600mHz band or the omni available within ìts azimuth of 80, 200, 320.

Im sure @sheytoon could explain what it all means but its seems obvious to me why your signal strength with telus is poor compared to rogers.

Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@darlicious wrote:

@arbutus 

Are you near a single tower or two close together (rogers and telus)? By hazarding a guess i compared the two towers in close proximity and indeed their differences would explain why rogers has a much stronger and more reliable signal for your location. The rogers tower at N49.3126 W122.8311 has a height of 69m and elevation of 458m. It has bands 700mHz, 850mHz, 1900mHz, 2100mHz and 2600mHz with azimuth 110, 190, 290 and the higher bandz have 150, 240 and most importantly for you omni directional transmitters.

The telus tower located at N49.3122 W122.8304 despite having double the transmitters has some  severe disadvantages. First its height at 62m/66m but its elevation at a mere 46.1m was a surprise and it does not have the 2600mHz band or the omni available within ìts azimuth of 80, 200, 320.

Im sure @sheytoon could explain what it all means but its seems obvious to me why your signal strength with telus is poor compared to rogers.

The Telus signal be sent in more specific in direction is not necessarily a disadvantage. When a signal is targetted in a specific direction, it tends to travel farther. Depending on specific location and the combination of the other sites in the area, one type over the other area could be more desireable. As for 2600MHz, I would say that LTE band is there for increased network capacity, but it being a higher frequency, I wouldn't say that leads to Rogers having a stronger signal.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 

I dont disagree with you and i am far from an expert on such matters and without knowing which direction from the towers the OP is situated evaluating an optimal signal direction is pure conjecture. However since @arbutus  and her family have had a poor signal from telus its safe to say the telus towers elevation, height and directional signals are not optimized for their home where as the rogers towers are whether or not the omni comes into play or not. I  defer the 2600mHz band to your explanation as you know more on the subject than I.

Highlighted
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@arbutus If you consider a Cell booster make sure its compatible with Canadian Carriers. As long it is compatible with Telus you should be fine. 

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I think Canadian carriers use similar LTE bands to US ones (AT&T)?