cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile shutting down?

LenK
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

There was news a couple of weeks ago that Telus is shutting down PM and moving users to the Telus network. 

Does anyone know any details? what effects it will have on plans? rates? coverage?

Is the offer to move to Koodo new? because of the shut-down?

35 REPLIES 35

Tobysaurus

Service sucks so they should shut down

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

With Telus $30/25GB Data unltd Data on 5G Networks X 4 lines plus 600 LD Mins no brainer 

still love PM old pals I missed very friendly pals 

@Wonder_why....not trying to be nosy....but what's stopping you from coming back. There's some very attractive incentive to get aboard...

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/fs2020

Wonder_why

😀😁😂never know might 1 day 

@Wonder_why wrote:

PM will stay strong here forever 

I moved to Koodo and now with Telus

missed PM folks 

Well...you can always come back to PM.

Keep in mind there was a mandate given to the big carriers to offer lower rates. CRTC has even provided what is to be included in a $15 plan etc.  

So Telus has Public Mobile. 

Bell has Lucky Mobile. 

Etc etc. 

While not not waving flags I don’t think Bell or Telus would bring in the discounted rates under their name. If you were at a Bell or Telus store I doubt if they are allowed to suggest or sell the alternatives. They want to keep their customers at the full retail rates with a fuller level of customer service. And they want their commissions. They want two separate businesses without cross over. And now, finally, Telus/Koodo has inter mingled packages with home TV and internet with mobile services. Probably had to do when Shaw bought Wind.

The Telus prepaid plans are NOT as good as PM plans.  

As as long as you are ok with all online and the online only customer service only along with the odd freebie, rewards and some good promotions to entice...PM is a real good place to be at. I can’t see PM leaving the market or going under the Telus banner. 

And why why not compete with all other carriers in this league? The more profit the better.  And the rewards program will help do that. They would be fools to play with the rewards program.  It’s like pyramiding where every one benefits. . 

Wonder_why

PM will stay strong here forever 

I moved to Koodo and now with Telus

missed PM folks 

lacomber
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Bien dit moi ja lacher telus pour public mobil et cest moin cher et surtout on a plus avantage a y gagner  avec les recompence quil donne merci public et longue vie 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@lacomber wrote:

pourquoi je recoit in texto aller sur koodoo avec un numero de promotion que vous me texter  et je cest meme pas ou mettre le numero de la promotion sur le cite koodoo

@lacomber On vous a proposé une migration facultative vers Koodo. Si cela ne vous intéresse pas, vous pouvez l'ignorer et continuer à profiter du Public Mobile comme vous l'avez fait. Cette réponse a été traduite de l'anglais en utilisant Google Translate, alors s'il vous plaît excusez toute bizarrerie à cela.

EDIT: and of course as soon as I posted this I noted there was a bunch of replies already.  Sorry everybody, my bad!!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@will13am wrote:

@LEGO wrote:

@lacomber Ce n'est pas Koodo qui envoie ces messages, mais Telus essaie de pousser les gens vers des plans post-payés qui finiront par vous faire utiliser involontairement quelque chose et vous devrez payer un supplément pour cela.

Ce ne sont pas les dépenses involontaires qu'ils recherchent. C'est plus comme demander aux clients de passer de Winners à Nordstroms. Il existe de nombreuses façons plus coûteuses de se séparer de votre argent.

Peut-être avez-vous raison, mais comme on dit en Russie "les gens voient différemment de leurs propres tours". J'ai dû traduire du russe vers l'anglais, puis du français, j'espère que rien ne se perdra dans la traduction! Woman Wink

@LEGO wrote:

@lacomber Ce n'est pas Koodo qui envoie ces messages, mais Telus essaie de pousser les gens vers des plans post-payés qui finiront par vous faire utiliser involontairement quelque chose et vous devrez payer un supplément pour cela.

Ce ne sont pas les dépenses involontaires qu'ils recherchent. C'est plus comme demander aux clients de passer de Winners à Nordstroms. Il existe de nombreuses façons plus coûteuses de se séparer de votre argent.

@RobertQc wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@lacomber wrote:

pourquoi je recoit in texto aller sur koodoo avec un numero de promotion que vous me texter  et je cest meme pas ou mettre le numero de la promotion sur le cite koodoo

Parlez-vous de l'offre de migration à Koodo. De temps en temps, Public Mobile propose aux clients de passer à la marque Koodo. Public Mobile et Koodo sont des marques soeurs détenues par Telus. Vous n'avez pas à prendre de mesures si vous choisissez de rester.

@LEGOnice frenchwork guys - you shoul get double bravos for multi-launguage @lacomber @will13am

Credit goes to Google translate. 

@will13am wrote:

@lacomber wrote:

Parlez-vous de l'offre de migration à Koodo. De temps en temps, Public Mobile propose aux clients de passer à la marque Koodo. Public Mobile et Koodo sont des marques soeurs détenues par Telus. Vous n'avez pas à prendre de mesures si vous choisissez de rester.

@LEGOnice frenchwork guys - you shoul get double bravos for multi-launguage @lacomber @will13am

LEGO

@lacomber wrote:

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

impossibru

public mobile is the best

we are here to stay forever

love you public mobile

@will13am@ShawnC13@LEGO@mimmo@srlawren@jp2

11111.jpg

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@LenK wrote:

There was news a couple of weeks ago that Telus is shutting down PM and moving users to the Telus network. 

Does anyone know any details? what effects it will have on plans? rates? coverage?

Yes Telus did move people to the Telus network when they bought out on

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@LenK wrote:

There was no such news about that a few weeks ago.

I beleive you are probably confusing Public Moible with PC Mobile.  It was announced that PC Mobile was shutting down its postpaid plan services division.  PC Mobile's postpaid services were 100% operated and owned by Telus.  Telus was simply paying to use the PC Mobile brand name, as it was my undestanding.  The postpaid PC Mobile customers are being moved over to Koodo.  As these people were already Telus customers to begin with, I don't see this as a big change - but rather a brand change for these customers.

lacomber

horemansus

@will13am wrote:

@LenK wrote:

I don't like my cellular bill going to keeping retail stores open. 

But.. public mobile seems to be moving away from this model.

They must have reasons.

Initially i thought Walmart and Wow were just to distribute sim cards, but seems to be more than that now?

Is this increasing costs and ultimately our bills?

@LenK wrote:

I don't mind being part of an experiment. In fact I appreciate that. It makes me think that the company is "thinking outside the box".

I totally agree with this perspective.  Public Mobile was the first to go to a full online model which is what 21st century retail is all about.  More recently, they have dialed it back a bit by partnering with Walmart, Wow and K Mobile.  The service is perpetually being calibrated.  I do hope that other brand take a page out of the Public Mobile play book and shed themselves of some bricks and mortar stores.  I don't like my cellular bill going to keeping retail stores open. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Admittedly I have only read the first couple of paragraphs and then skimmed the rest of that 2014 G&M article, but if you ready it carefully they are actually talking about the Public Mobile *network* being shut down, and moving customvers over to the Telus *network*, but not that the brand was being shut down.  This is consistent with the transition @will13am was talking about, where the original PM CDMA network was indeed shut down and customers moved over to Telus's UMTS/LTE network, but still as PM customers and still on their legacy plans they had at the time.  

So, the article is true, but it's the network that died, not the brand.  Having read it the other way was a misunderstaning on your brother's part, @LenK.  Just FYI.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

LenK

I don't mind being part of an experiment. In fact I appreciate that. It makes me think that the company is "thinking outside the box".

LenK

Thanks for helping to clarify the situation.

I was completely unaware of the history of PM.

CalvinW

No, not yet at least. Pretty sure Telus still needs PM to compete with Lucky Mobile and Chatr.

@LenK wrote:

If an article appears in the Globe and Mail (May 2018), I would hardly consider it fake news. Thanks for your advice, but I was not worried about it.

Article link please.  I take it the 2014 article being referred to was this one.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/teluss-decision-to-shut-public-mobile-angers-cons...

The old CDMA network was shut down which is not fake news.  In proper context the service was not shut down down; it was transformed for the better.

LenK

If an article appears in the Globe and Mail (May 2018), I would hardly consider it fake news. Thanks for your advice, but I was not worried about it.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@LenK, you are talking about fake news, alternate facts.  Using the words of captain of this ship Dave_M, "While all good things must come to an end at some point – that point is not today."  Judging from what has been going on since February, the strategy being used by Telus is to have this service be an entry point into the franchise and Koodo as target end point for customers who do join this service.  If you have any concerns about this service or think Koodo is better for you, keep an eye on your notification text messages for migration offers.  In the mean time, I suggest not worrying too much about things outside your control.   

Edit:  What the article you have referred to was concerning the metamorphosis of the Public Mobile brand that was under different than current ownership initially as a small CDMA network, taken over by Telus in late 2013, integrated into the Bellus network, and undergoing various additional transformations along the way including use of an online only service model.  This brand is sort of like an ongoing experiment for Telus.  Expect change to be the be the only constant if you are with the brand. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Mobile

LenK

My apologies for submitting the post.

My brother sent me an email because he had read something in the Globe and Mail. The article was originally published in 2014, but had been updated in May of this year. It is not obvious by reading the article what the updated information might be. I thought perhaps it was still relevant, but suspected that if that were true, there would probably be a big buzz in the community.

Happy to hear the response.

Once again, my bad!

Need Help? Let's chat.