cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Public Mobile shutting down myth

Since we're engaging in spreading rumours... I heard political leaders of the NDP and Liberal governments are working together to facilitate the shutdown of the incumbent carriers in Canada (such as Telus) in their efforts to reduce cell phone bills.  The Tier 1 incumbents will need to migrate their customers onto lower tiered brands as they dissolve the Tier 1 marketing/offerings.  They will also have to work with manufacturers to slow down the release of devices, since customers are too easily enticed to upgrade to better/faster/newer and more expensive devices, and consumers need to be discouraged from committing themselves to contracts, tabs, etc.  In fact, they are encouraging carriers to come up with a service/offering that supports the bring-your-own-phone model, and to come up with creative ways to cut costs, such as a self-serve model.

This is a developing story... more to come...

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@CalgaryBenNot only that.. I thought they are giving every registed voters a free unicorn for Christmas!

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I don't think they have the b#lls to do so. The liberal leader is afraid to touch big industry. He won't even step in to cover pensions when a company goes insvolent. And if any of his MPs will, they will  be l#nched if they go against his direction. Which makes your local MP useless. 

If any thing, they could disallow Apple from making devices obsolete by excluding operating system updates. 

Since I am not knowledgeable on Android some one else can speak for that. 

samiam123
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am aware of that.  And I am sure they are aware that I (and many other Canadians) now have the option to switch to another low cost provider that has recently expanded their coverage across Canada.  I just thought I would remind them of that if they happen to be reading this.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@88cranston wrote:

If any thing, they could disallow Apple from making devices obsolete by excluding operating system updates. 

Since I am not knowledgeable on Android some one else can speak for that. 

@88cranston actually, Apple is pretty much the best in the industry for the thing you're criticizing them for.  The iPhone 6S is the oldest device that is supported by the latest iOS 13 version, and it came out in September of 2015, just over four years ago.  That is about as good as it gets.  

On the Android side, the best seems to typically be Google where you can expect updates on this year's models (released just a couple of weeks ago) until late 2022, or about 3 years.  A few other manufacturers have similar support, but typically 2-ish years (or 2 major version upgrades) is considered "good" in the Android space.  Many smaller brands (and/or more "bargain shopper oriented" brands) rarely or never get major updates, or maybe 1 if you're lucky.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Need Help? Let's chat.