cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile shutting down myth

Patrick_R
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi

I was looking to buy a phone at Telus or Kudo to use on Public Mobile.

Two different reps one from Wow and one from Kudo advised Kudo will eventually force Public Mobile Customers to migrate to Kudo and shut down PM cause theu dont want 3 divisions of the same company.

Anyone else heard any hearsay lime this?

34 REPLIES 34

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@88cranston wrote:

If any thing, they could disallow Apple from making devices obsolete by excluding operating system updates. 

Since I am not knowledgeable on Android some one else can speak for that. 

@88cranston actually, Apple is pretty much the best in the industry for the thing you're criticizing them for.  The iPhone 6S is the oldest device that is supported by the latest iOS 13 version, and it came out in September of 2015, just over four years ago.  That is about as good as it gets.  

On the Android side, the best seems to typically be Google where you can expect updates on this year's models (released just a couple of weeks ago) until late 2022, or about 3 years.  A few other manufacturers have similar support, but typically 2-ish years (or 2 major version upgrades) is considered "good" in the Android space.  Many smaller brands (and/or more "bargain shopper oriented" brands) rarely or never get major updates, or maybe 1 if you're lucky.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

samiam123
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am aware of that.  And I am sure they are aware that I (and many other Canadians) now have the option to switch to another low cost provider that has recently expanded their coverage across Canada.  I just thought I would remind them of that if they happen to be reading this.

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I don't think they have the b#lls to do so. The liberal leader is afraid to touch big industry. He won't even step in to cover pensions when a company goes insvolent. And if any of his MPs will, they will  be l#nched if they go against his direction. Which makes your local MP useless. 

If any thing, they could disallow Apple from making devices obsolete by excluding operating system updates. 

Since I am not knowledgeable on Android some one else can speak for that. 

@CalgaryBenNot only that.. I thought they are giving every registed voters a free unicorn for Christmas!

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Since we're engaging in spreading rumours... I heard political leaders of the NDP and Liberal governments are working together to facilitate the shutdown of the incumbent carriers in Canada (such as Telus) in their efforts to reduce cell phone bills.  The Tier 1 incumbents will need to migrate their customers onto lower tiered brands as they dissolve the Tier 1 marketing/offerings.  They will also have to work with manufacturers to slow down the release of devices, since customers are too easily enticed to upgrade to better/faster/newer and more expensive devices, and consumers need to be discouraged from committing themselves to contracts, tabs, etc.  In fact, they are encouraging carriers to come up with a service/offering that supports the bring-your-own-phone model, and to come up with creative ways to cut costs, such as a self-serve model.

This is a developing story... more to come...

srlawren

@samiam123 wrote:

So if they shut it down I will move to that and they lose my business.

@samiam123 I'm not sure how many times this needs to be said, but:  Telus has no plans to shut down Public Mobile anytime in the foreseeable future.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

samiam123
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I now have the option to switch to freedom mobile in my city for about the same cost as I pay PM for similar features.  So if they shut it down I will move to that and they lose my business.

So no big deal for me.  I may switch to freedom anyways even if they don't shut down.

Patrick_R

He said he was not as a pt staff member

Patrick_R

He was not trying to get me to switch he was just mentioned he heard the parent company would like to phase out PM.

I did take with a grain of salt cause PM just rebranded and Lucky and Chatar would need to exit for PM to exit.

When I said funny just meant as a expression about rep not that situation was with humour. Since you replied not funny.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@88cranston wrote:

@Patrick_R wrote:

Funny Kudo reps say it

Is the Kudo rep on commission?

Targets/bonuses tied to sales at least.

srlawren

@Patrick_R wrote:

Funny Kudo reps say it

@Patrick_R not funny.  Of course you can't paint everyone with a single brush, but you always have to take things salespeople tell you with a heavy grain of salt, because they will often do whatever they can to get your sale.  

88cranston

@Patrick_R wrote:

Funny Kudo reps say it

Is the Kudo rep on commission?

Patrick_R

Funny Kudo reps say it

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@Patrick_R I'll believe it when I see it. Until it's in the news, consider it to be hogwash because they wouldn't be authorized to say anything unless ir's official. Anyone who would know wouldn't say anything and risk getting fired.

srlawren

@Lemony_Snicket wrote:

No, say it isn't so!  I just got here.  Give me more time to enjoy the savings.

@Lemony_Snicket it isn't so.  This rumour has been around since Telus bought Public Mobile in 2013 and shut them down....errrr, shut down their CDMA network and migrated PM's customers over to Telus' own 3G UMTS/W-CDMA network isntead.  Public Mobile isn't going anywhere, depsite the FUD spread by some unscrupulous retailers in order to sway customers in a direction that suits them (the retail employee) better for whatever incentive reasons.

Lemony_Snicket

No, say it isn't so!  I just got here.  Give me more time to enjoy the savings.

Master2001

They say that because they receive a higher commission from Telus and Kodoo than Public Mobile.

jor123

@Patrick_R wrote:

Bell have a bad rep out east

They have a bad rep everywhere...

Patrick_R

To bad they dont care

88cranston

@Patrick_R wrote:

West too.....so it is a national issue!!! Baaaaad!!!

Patrick_R

88cranston

@totalUser wrote:

This has been a rumor since the buyout. As long as public is bringing something home it will have home to go to. And i believe they do. They can take customers away from others. Well sometimes they take from the house, but they also pass some back. 

Right on!!! Hopefully PM will take customers from Lucky, Speakout, PetroCanada, etc etc

88cranston

@Patrick_R wrote:

Interesting point

Guy at cell phone guard store said Bell best plans and coverage. I said they are usually expensive

Think about it!  Bell has notoriously lied to customers and has oversold to customers using high pressure tactics. And I have experienced horrendously bad service from Bell for Bell Express Vue and from a cell plan I had with them that I bought at Costco. 

PS. And any store or kiosk salesperson is out for their commission and may mislead you. 

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

This has been a rumor since the buyout. As long as public is bringing something home it will have home to go to. And i believe they do. They can take customers away from others. Well sometimes they take from the house, but they also pass some back. 

88cranston

@geopublic wrote:

@Patrick_R  the only way that happens is when Lucky and Chatr are no more IMHO.

And keep in mind PM was Telus's answer to the CTRC to provide lower cost cell service. 

If you compare Koodo to Telus prepaid you will find they are similar, price wise. So forced migration to Koodo from PM would be like forcing to Teluls Prepaid as well. And obviously Telus prepaid was not the answer to CTRC to provide lower cost cell service. And if I was forced to pay more....I know where I would go.....and I would not be forced into a mirgration. 

But any thing can happen. 

mimmo

@Patrick_R   you shoudl ask the rep which company provdes hime with the biggest commission.  also his statement about bell being the best plans and coverage.  telus shares the network so all bell and telus brands have teh same coverage.  as for plans, I am assuimg there is a reason you are still here and not with Bell.

as for koodo shutting down PM  I think we will simply strat seeing some greater differentiation between the two brands.  ie PM only offers 3GonLTE whie koodo offers LTE.  etc...

Patrick_R

I hope it never happens and PM stays operating 

popping

@Patrick_R wrote:

I mentioned Kiosks he said no big deal for them to shut them down just as fast as they went up

It will be a sad day if Telus forces PM subscribers to Koodo.

Without the PM rewards, I am the first one to go back to Zoomer Wireless for my $36 4GB full LTE speed plan. 

Patrick_R

This did not sell phones or work for bell just his opinion

Patrick_R

I mentioned Kiosks he said no big deal for them to shut them down just as fast as they went up

Need Help? Let's chat.