cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile's reception in remote areas?

dabr
Mayor / Maire

I'm wondering if anyone is either using Public Mobile in the more northern areas of BC (ie: Fort Nelson/Fort St John etc), or travelled there and what is/was their experience in using their phone services or data reception?

Another question would be if anyone knows if there a lot of dropped calls with Public Mobile vs Telus?

Thanks.

18 REPLIES 18

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@dabr wrote:

@ZfromVanC  Yes same network but was wondering if Telus calls take priority at certain times..

Telus claims there is no priority on what uses it's network.  I have not been able to prove otherwise. 

One of Public Mobile's perceived shortcomings, is it's "slow" 3G speed LTE.  With a lot of rural towers, that is the best speed you can get, no matter what carrier you use.

@dabr wrote:

@skifanThanks...just what I needed to know.

Ooops...I was trying to accept @skifan latest post as solution, but seem to have accepted my own answer instead...anyone know how to fix this?

Z10user4 has explained how to do this by using the individual messages's menu and selecting "not a solution". 

I've already made the change for you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dabr wrote:

Ooops...I was trying to accept @skifan latest post as solution, but seem to have accepted my own answer instead...anyone know how to fix this?

Click on the three dots in the upper right of the post to change.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

skifan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yes....I did use data extensively.....in fact I had to Hot Spot my data so that my Rogers based companions could access the internet.  ( I managed to get a couple of referrals from them when they subsequently switched over to Public.)  Smiley Happy

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@skifan  Thanks..that's what I was hoping..did you use data as well as your phone service when you travelled throught that region?

skifan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have travelled extensively in the Ft. St. John, Dawson Creek, Chetwynd, Tumbler Ridge area and can confirm that coverage is actually quite good.  My travelling companions who are using the Rogers network have significantly poorer results.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@hycm53  I just tried your suggestion and it shows coverage in those areas..thanks.

@srlawren  Thanks that's good to know!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@dabr wrote:

@ZfromVanC  Yes same network but was wondering if Telus calls take priority at certain times..

@dabr no, there is no prioritization between the brands, as per our resident expert @sheytoon 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@dabr On the map, enter address or city name, for instance Fort Nelson BC, it showed up saying "Your location has coverage."

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/coverage?ds_rl=1268486&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7sqKlL-g4QIVyFSGCh0B6gCLE...

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@hycm53  Thanks, did notice there seems to be no difference in the map coverage, but hoping someone who has been in the region can verify there was no issue.

@Anonymous   Yes I see the coverage map shows the same, was hoping is anyone has been there and had no issues though..thanks for replying.

ZfromVanC
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@dabr wrote:

I'm wondering if anyone is either using Public Mobile in the more northern areas of BC (ie: Fort Nelson/Fort St John etc), or travelled there and what is/was their experience in using their phone services or data reception?

Another question would be if anyone knows if there a lot of dropped calls with Public Mobile vs Telus?

Thanks.

Public Mobile runs on the Telus network, so the coverage is the same as you would get with Telus.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dabr wrote:

Thanks.

Way down on the bottom of this page is a link to the Coverage Map. It's really just the same as Telus. It looks like that northeast corner is reasonably covered.

Need Help? Let's chat.