cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile's Koodo Offer

Rambo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Text from 512-9: "Public Mobile here. We have an exclusive limited time offer for you to switch to Koodo on the exact same plan you're on right now. Plus, we'll pay the cost of your rate plan for 1 month and you may qualify for a new $0 phone on the Koodo Tab! Offer valid for ##########(my phone number)only and can ONLY be redeemed at this Koodo location: xxx Koodo St (store near me). Show this message to redeem the offer. Hurry - offer ends February 14th, 2017! Reply STOP if you no longer wish to hear about our offers and deals. Conditions apply."

I spoke to a Koodo Sales Agent at the specified store and they stated that they're doing this so that PM customers can lock in there plan forever due to PM phasing out.

I just want to know if Public Mobile is actually going out of business? I've never had issues with PM and prefer the PM self-serve rather than moving over to Koodo.
47 REPLIES 47

l1689873
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Agree. I received a call from a Koodo employee, saing PM is out of business. I find it very strange and confusing. 

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Of course, if you take a 0$ phone you'll owe some kind of tab.

Scoop
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Well this is interesting. If I switch to kudo am I on a contract. This nice thing about PM is no contract. The offeer says I may be able to get a phone fo $0. That usually means a contract. I also got a notice that my legacy plan-- $40 unlimited Canadian talk and text and 1 Gig is going up by $3. So much for grandmothered rate plan. I get mixed messages from this offer and honestly don't know what to do. I am an old PM call centre veteran.

Chaos_Scorpio
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

my heart sank when I read the first post ... 

oh well false alarm back to doing nothing. 🙂

Rockdaddy22
They just want to give people a chance to buy a phone with a tab if you'd like. As you know PM doesn't sell phones, some customers might like that opportunity. Of course overtime I'm sure they'll love to be able to shut down their call center. Just remember, it's only a choice.

Zakki

I guess what's bothering me is, why now? PM got rid of their phone booth and customer care a while back. Had they had said, back then, you can switch to whoever, I understand. I never had any use for the call center customer service. Didn't even know it existed untill I read your post. Out of the blue I'm getting text and phone call to switch. I'm not mad or anything. It is like you go to your favorite restaurant and the owner tells you "You should really go to the other restaurant next door. We are not going out of buisness, we still have the same food you like at same affordable price but please switch to the other restaurant. Don't ask, I can't say much".  CONFUSING.

@Zakki wrote:

What is a legacy plan? I've been with PM for 7+ years. Does that make me a legacy plan holder? Am I being shown the door for sticking with PM? Have I overstayed my welcome?

It just means that you are on an old price plan that is not eligble with the Public Mobile rewards system.  Those old plans were the ones that were offered when Public Mobile first switched over to using sim cards and customers on them are eligible to receive call centre customer service.

@Zakki wrote:

What is a legacy plan? I've been with PM for 7+ years. Does that make me a legacy plan holder? Am I being shown the door for sticking with PM? Have I overstayed my welcome?

If you're on a plan offered before Jan 2015, you are a legacy customer.

If you transferred to new public mobile plans, then you're not. But you should get the loyalty rewards for being with Public Mobile for over 5 years. 

Zakki

Are the Koodo reps lying, or just making it up, as a non truth, because they don't know why.

How many times have I in a previous life not known all the reasons behind a store promotion, and hadn't been given all, or any for that matter, of the related information.  Managers tell supervisor info, supervisors pass on what they remember or think is important to staff, and staff "fill in the blanks" when questioned.

Sounds like school yard 'telephone' game.

Rockdaddy22
Exactly, they could close Koodo tomorrow. These tactics are definitely unethical in my opinion. The Koodo reps shouldn't be lying, very sad.

@Rambo wrote:

I spoke to a Koodo Sales Agent at the specified store and they stated that they're doing this so that PM customers can lock in there plan forever due to PM phasing out.

That's a good one by the salesperson.  No one here really knows if or when Public will be phased out. I'm sure the higher ups and Telus have casually discussed it, as well as many other topics, but that doesn't mean anything is going to happen.  In theory, Telus could (hypothetically) close the brand in the next couple of years, or they could keep it running for the next 50. But that's the case with any brand, so why worry about it?  What makes the salesperson's story funny is the fact that only Public Mobile customers who are on legacy plans were contacted with these offers.  If there were currently any truth to Public closing down, likely all customers, without exception, would have been notified and reached out to with incentives to switch to Koodo.

I also received this, 2x

Once via email

other via Txt my Mama received as she assumed my legacy plan

Poaching between carriers, so awkward

Rambo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Thanks NDesai,

The moment I read this part I felt better:

"Cat_L wrote:

We do have an offer on right now that allows select legacy Public customers to move to Koodo. This campaign is being communicated through an SMS from Public, an email from Koodo, and calls from Koodo Authorized Dealers to those customers who are eligible.

I want to reassure you that TELUS is committed to growing Public Mobile – we are not going anywhere! This promotion is an offer for loyal Public customers who signed up with us when we had stores and a call centre and we want to ensure that they remain well served by us, and if we’re not meeting their expectations, that they have a choice to join our sister brand, Koodo.

Again, thank you for bringing this forward so we can address it and I apologize for the irritation the email caused.

Cat"

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Public Mobile is NOT going out of business anytime soon. They are partnering up with koodo to move Legacy/Pioneer/Grandfathered users to koodo so they can still have access to stores and phone support. 

More details in this post: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Received-a-text-from-Public-Mobile-about-K...

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Rambo  I do not see PM phasing out.  I think the correct way to look at this is Telus would like to be able to eliminate phone support for legacy PM plans and the way to do this is to get them to go to koodo on the same plan and be able to still have phone support.  That way PM can get rid of the phone support it has for its legacy plan holders.  So Telus wins both ways they keep the customer and eliminate a service they have to provide on PM.  Customer wins they can go to Koodo get same plan and be able to get support in kiosks and on the phone.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

McLaren
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
This is very intriguing... I doubt they're going under salesman probably just making it up
Need Help? Let's chat.