cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile is overstating my data use by 10x

soaringhawk
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I want to make this post as short as possible, but it won't be easy. I am sure we've all had issues with our respective mobile carrier. Like many Canadians, I have been always been alert to save money and get a better deal. Over the last 25 years I’ve been with many different carriers, and here in BC specifically, I have been off and on with Telus, Rogers, and Fido. Six months ago, however, I made the switch to Public Mobile, to try their system out. While no carrier has scored very high in terms of value or service, my experience with Public Mobile the first example of what appears to be outright fraud, or if not that, just complete and utter ineptness.

My wife and I are on a three month prepaid plan with Public Mobile, but every time our account has renewed, there has been problems. For example, in a recent renewal period, my wife’s data plan didn’t recharge despite payment, and it took me complaining several times to acknowledge the error, after which they finally did credit her account with the 6 GB we paid for.

Recently, while I was traveling, my 6 GB data plan ran out in only a few weeks after renewing. I am not a power user by any stretch, and consistently use no more than 2 GB/month. Thus it was a shock for me to see that Public Mobile was telling me I used up 5+ GB in less than three weeks. This problem was compounded by errors in their online account system, wherein my password had been "changed," but often as not, the system wouldn’t even let me login to reset it. Even when I was able to login, to review my data usage, that particular page was blank. And through it all, I sent many messages to Public Mobile's Team_Moderator informing them of my issues, each time getting a new moderator to whom I had to re-explain my predicament. However, each time I pitched my case, each new person to answer my query absolutely insisted that I used up all my data in only a few weeks.

There was no way for me to independently prove that there was an error because I didn’t have an app installed to track my data use. I remedied this in the last week of March, and added an app to my phone called “Traffic Monitor”. While I have being trying to resolve this issue with Public Mobile, on Thursday, April 29, one of their Team Moderators named Mary_M said she would add 1 GB of data to my account as a courtesy. Actually, it looked to me like 2 GBs were added to my account. Nonetheless, since that time I have been able to track and compare what the app on my phone is telling me about my data use, versus what Public Mobile states in my account. Please refer to the following image:

https://i.imgur.com/WsyW2wF.jpg

According to Public Mobile, by Sunday April 1st 2018, I had used 1218.706 MB since Mary_M added a 2GB to my account as a courtesy, with only 829.294 MB remaining. Considering that I barely used my cell data during this time, something seemed very fishy. Sure enough, when I looked at what the Traffic Monitor app was telling me, there was a huge discrepancy. From Thursday March 29 through April 1, the app told me I had used only 166.5 MB, which was consistent with my actual usage. If you compare this with what you look at how much data Public Mobile has said I have used, it over-stated my data usage by a factor of 10.

Throughout this time, Public Mobile has refused to acknowledge any kind of error, telling me I needed to buy more data. But as this proves, there is a serious problem with Public Mobile overstating my data use, and they have done nothing to remedy this problem, continuing to insist that I am misusing my phone, and not accounting for my data use.

Suffice it to say, I have had it with this company. I have filed a complaint with the CCTS, and am cancelling my account with Public Mobile today. Never have I used a carrier that is so buggy, inept, and fraudulent as Public Mobile. Based on my experience, I am warning all of you to stay away from Public Mobile. For me, it’s not about the money (although $30 for one GB add-on data is ludicrous), so even though I am losing money by cancelling my account, I will feel better not using Public Mobile.

My advice: stay away from Public Mobile, please!

Ok, thanks for reading. Good luck to all of you

52 REPLIES 52

Sedul
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm having data discrepancy issues too. July 6th to now cycle I burned through 12gb according to PublicMobile Usage Dashboard, but in the Usage History I've used less at <8gb

adminpfc

I was able to connect with a moderator and my phone settings needed to be adjusted by them because it was continually pinging the network.  So its fixed now. In the last week I used 1/4 of the data from the 1st day.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@adminpfc 

Can you call out?

Can another phone call in?

Can you text out?

Can another phone text in?

Did you try the airplane mode flip and then look at your data on the self-serve?

@Anonymous out of curiosity, what does their abiltiy to do calls or texts have to do with their perceived data usage issue?

@adminpfc try keeping an eye on it a few more days and update us.

@srlawren: There have been the odd service confusions whereby people inadvertently take over someones number and services. So I was fishing for whether all those services were working fine for him. And if they weren't then there was the chance that someone had taken over their number and was even using some of their data.

I'm quite sure something on their phone is taking a little data and that also the cell data service grabs a little buffer and that it needs to be released to see a real usage.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@adminpfc 

Can you call out?

Can you text out?

Did you try the airplane mode flip and then look at your data on the self-serve?

@Anonymous out of curiosity, what does their abiltiy to do calls or texts have to do with their perceived data usage issue?

@adminpfc try keeping an eye on it a few more days and update us.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@adminpfc 

Can you call out?

Can you text out?

adminpfc

I have done all those things.  I am not some sort of luddite.  I have paid for this month so I'm playing it out but this experience so far has not been a great one.  I have WiFi assist off, I have non-essential apps turned to no-data, I am not some sort of conspiracy theorist who imagines evil geniuses behind every corporate entity, but I am dissapointed that this process seems so complicated and watching my usage tick up when I am not using the phone is disconcerting.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@adminpfc wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@adminpfc wrote:

I've had a phone on PM for 24 hours and it says we've used 24 mb of Data, which is more than I used all last month on Telus.  Also the phone has been off and in my bag, in my office on wifi all day. It has not been used at all.  This is a scam.

@adminpfcThe PM data usage counter is extremely accurate. Just because you use WiFi doesn't mean you won't use data if both are enabled. Also sometimes WiFi goes down or disconnects. The best thing to do is to login into your selfserve and check your usage later on today and you will see where the 24mb was used. Note: 24mb is considered a tiny amount in today's standards.

I know that 24 Mb is a small amout of Data but nothing has changed about my phone only my provider.  By what measure is the PM data counter extremely accurate, because they say so?

Because it has been challenged many times and hasn't been seen to be wrong yet.

Check all your apps for their own data usage and updates. Check your OS that it didn't do any updates. iPhone's have a wifi assist feature where if it's a weak wifi that it'll go over and use cell data.

And it may also be that apps and the OS are seeing the new cell provider and thinking oh...new connection...best we re-align everything.

Turn off cell data and then flip the phone in and out of airplane mode and then look at your data consumption.

@adminpfc wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@adminpfc wrote:

I've had a phone on PM for 24 hours and it says we've used 24 mb of Data, which is more than I used all last month on Telus.  Also the phone has been off and in my bag, in my office on wifi all day. It has not been used at all.  This is a scam.

@adminpfcThe PM data usage counter is extremely accurate. Just because you use WiFi doesn't mean you won't use data if both are enabled. Also sometimes WiFi goes down or disconnects. The best thing to do is to login into your selfserve and check your usage later on today and you will see where the 24mb was used. Note: 24mb is considered a tiny amount in today's standards.

I know that 24 Mb is a small amout of Data but nothing has changed about my phone only my provider.  By what measure is the PM data counter extremely accurate, because they say so?

@adminpfc  From my experience, I also have questioned it in the past and was 100% wrong. PM uses the Telus counters (Think about it's their bread and butter there is no room for error). If you still think there was an issue contact the moderator team here.

adminpfc

@geopublic wrote:

@adminpfc wrote:

adminpfc

you don't know anything about my life.  This phone is a backup phone and isn't used for online use.  I use an average of 15-20 mb per month for the last year.  Having used 24 mb in as many hours is a massive and suspicious jump.  

@adminpfc wrote:

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Why don't you try figuring out what's on the go before calling it a scam. Silly. 

That being said 24 mb is nothing. How did you go through a month using less than that? 

GC 

adminpfc

I've had a phone on PM for 24 hours and it says we've used 24 mb of Data, which is more than I used all last month on Telus.  Also the phone has been off and in my bag, in my office on wifi all day. It has not been used at all.

Michael77

@soaringhawk,

Good luck. 🙂

Acekiller

thanks for sharing us your incident. Will be sure to keep an eye out for my data!

jp2

It's unfortunate you experienced this issue and had to go to the CCTS but at least they were able to credit your account. 

soaringhawk

I have now left PM for Koodo, and getting unlimited Canada-wide talk/text + 6GB, with real customer service. AND, PM/Telus/Koodo's resolution dispute team contacted me yesterday and has resolved my CCTS complaint satisfactorily with a $96 credit toward my Koodo bill. For me it a tacit admission of PM's system error calculating my data use.

So long to you all. Good luck.

soaringhawk

PM/Telus/Koodo's resolution dispute team contacted me yesterday and has resolved my CCTS complaint satisfactorily with a $96 credit toward my Koodo bill. For me it a tacit admission of PM's system error calculating my data use.

jp2

If you got an andriod phone it would be much easier to see data usage, when you used the data, what it was used for, etc. You can also see how much of your plan data has been used each month if you set it up correctly. 

Not to mention all of the other advantages to android 

GreatCanadian

You said..  "PM is telling me I used 25% of that in three weeks. The other app is also showing overstating data use by 10x."

So I asked if PM and your data monitoring app are both overstating your data. That's how I interpret that statement. You're saying no . Well what do you mean by that? Perhaps I am interpreting that statement incorrectly. 

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@soaringhawk wrote:

Over the last 25 years I’ve been with many different carriers, and here in BC specifically, I have been off and on with Telus, Rogers, and Fido. Six months ago, however, I made the switch to Public Mobile, to try their system out.

Public Mobile uses Telus network.  Indeed, I'm half-convinced that PM is not a distinct corporate subsidiary at all, but is only a Telus department operating a brand.  There should be no discernable difference between PM and Telus when it comes to network-specifics like QoS, voice, text, and data.

According to Public Mobile, by Sunday April 1st 2018, I had used 1218.706 MB since Mary_M added a 2GB to my account as a courtesy, with only 829.294 MB remaining. Considering that I barely used my cell data during this time, something seemed very fishy. Sure enough, when I looked at what the Traffic Monitor app was telling me, there was a huge discrepancy.

Data consumption is always measured (and billed) from the network side.  And network-side data metrics rarely agree completely with device-side data metrics.  Any respectable data monitoring mobile app will say as much upfront.

The reason is simple: cellular radio is not as reliable as wired (or even WiFi) networking, there's a lot of data overhead, a lot of resent packets, a lot of error-correction and multiplexing madness ... a lot of "extra" bits sent and received at the carrier base station which don't actually translate into "real" data sent and received on your cellular device.  These overheads are generally nominal, but when data is used in far-from-ideal conditions (low signal bars, low bandwidth, low priority, fringe service, congested service) then they can add up and multiply very rapidly.  The network will bill you for the data the network knows it sent and received, it doesn't know (or care, or trust) how much data your device actually reports sending and receiving.

I wouldn't blame PM/Telus for large data discrepancies in this instance.  I'd blame whatever other carrier (or carriers) serviced the area (or areas) where this data was consumed - especially with data consumption while travelling outside the Telus network.  I'd also look through all my phone settings to confim data isn't being constantly leeched away by background apps or even  malwares.

If PM is a "Fraud" because of these data discrepancies then so is every other cellular operator.  The problems you've experienced (and their causes, and their solutions) are not at all exclusively specific to PM, they're limits built into the whole category of technology.

MVP
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@mimmo wrote:

• were you on tle Full LTE or 3g, as you might know there were issues with teh 3G plans not resetting properly.

FYI, I've also encountered the issue of "not resetting properly" (resluting in some  apparent data usage mess-up/overstatement) with an LTE (Fall 2016 promo) plan's renewal. It was  quickly and generously resolved by the moderators, though 🙂

This being said, I do not see any evidence of any fault on the side of PM, that the OP claims/presents. Perhaps  s(he) should calm down and review their  data usage?

soaringhawk

No you don't have it. See my latest post.

You're being a troll at this point. But I have to ask myself, who spends their time on PM forum casting aspersions on customers having real issues? Do you have a life?

soaringhawk

No, that's not it. Today I got notice that I used up 95% of my data use, but if you see the attached screenshots, I haven't used my data (<0.1 GB in >24 hrs).

It's amazing how rude people are (not you) on this forum when I have claimed issues.

image1 3.PNG

image1.PNGimage2.PNG

tenor

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

What is the system services 6gb?

your on apple I know but when I first got a google phone it use to upload everything to the cloud (pics contacts videos)... I ran through GB of data and couldn't figure out why

look into turning off auto back up esp via mobile network (in the background)... Wifi only etc.

as stated also turn off wifi assist as it will use the mobile network when wifi is slow or choppy. You may have been watching movies youtube at home and ran through data. 

I'm not an iPhone user so I'm genuinely curious. How come it says current period/lifetime 9 days and 5 hours? What does that mean in relevance to the data usage?

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@soaringhawk, your usage results and experience is not what I’ve experienced here.  Since joining in summer 2016, I’ve had very few issues, but they were resolved quickly, and properly.

Not sure which data plan you’re on, but there has been know issues with the so-called 3G reduced plans renewing, and this could be what your wife experienced.  I’m not saying it’s okay, but the service was fixed for you, and shouldn’t happen again.

i hope you find what you’re looking for, but I will be staying here.

soaringhawk

and i am not sure about my recent trip to NYC, where i bought and used a 3GB T-mobile sim card and was on it pretty much constantly, figuring out the subway and watching netflix without wifi - if cell data stats aren't cleared when the SIM card is changed out, then my data use with PM is even less

btw, yes when it comes to dealing with CCTS I am a TOTAL NEOPHYTE - i have never, ever had to resort to such measures with any cell phone company in the US or Canada, period!!!

GreatCanadian

Public mobile is overstating your data usage 10x, and a separate monitoring app is also overstating your data usage 10x. Have I got that correct . 

Need Help? Let's chat.