cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Public Mobile is overstating my data use by 10x

No you don't have it. See my latest post.

You're being a troll at this point. But I have to ask myself, who spends their time on PM forum casting aspersions on customers having real issues? Do you have a life?

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@mimmo wrote:

• were you on tle Full LTE or 3g, as you might know there were issues with teh 3G plans not resetting properly.

FYI, I've also encountered the issue of "not resetting properly" (resluting in some  apparent data usage mess-up/overstatement) with an LTE (Fall 2016 promo) plan's renewal. It was  quickly and generously resolved by the moderators, though 🙂

This being said, I do not see any evidence of any fault on the side of PM, that the OP claims/presents. Perhaps  s(he) should calm down and review their  data usage?

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@soaringhawk wrote:

Over the last 25 years I’ve been with many different carriers, and here in BC specifically, I have been off and on with Telus, Rogers, and Fido. Six months ago, however, I made the switch to Public Mobile, to try their system out.

Public Mobile uses Telus network.  Indeed, I'm half-convinced that PM is not a distinct corporate subsidiary at all, but is only a Telus department operating a brand.  There should be no discernable difference between PM and Telus when it comes to network-specifics like QoS, voice, text, and data.

According to Public Mobile, by Sunday April 1st 2018, I had used 1218.706 MB since Mary_M added a 2GB to my account as a courtesy, with only 829.294 MB remaining. Considering that I barely used my cell data during this time, something seemed very fishy. Sure enough, when I looked at what the Traffic Monitor app was telling me, there was a huge discrepancy.

Data consumption is always measured (and billed) from the network side.  And network-side data metrics rarely agree completely with device-side data metrics.  Any respectable data monitoring mobile app will say as much upfront.

The reason is simple: cellular radio is not as reliable as wired (or even WiFi) networking, there's a lot of data overhead, a lot of resent packets, a lot of error-correction and multiplexing madness ... a lot of "extra" bits sent and received at the carrier base station which don't actually translate into "real" data sent and received on your cellular device.  These overheads are generally nominal, but when data is used in far-from-ideal conditions (low signal bars, low bandwidth, low priority, fringe service, congested service) then they can add up and multiply very rapidly.  The network will bill you for the data the network knows it sent and received, it doesn't know (or care, or trust) how much data your device actually reports sending and receiving.

I wouldn't blame PM/Telus for large data discrepancies in this instance.  I'd blame whatever other carrier (or carriers) serviced the area (or areas) where this data was consumed - especially with data consumption while travelling outside the Telus network.  I'd also look through all my phone settings to confim data isn't being constantly leeched away by background apps or even  malwares.

If PM is a "Fraud" because of these data discrepancies then so is every other cellular operator.  The problems you've experienced (and their causes, and their solutions) are not at all exclusively specific to PM, they're limits built into the whole category of technology.

Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You said..  "PM is telling me I used 25% of that in three weeks. The other app is also showing overstating data use by 10x."

So I asked if PM and your data monitoring app are both overstating your data. That's how I interpret that statement. You're saying no . Well what do you mean by that? Perhaps I am interpreting that statement incorrectly. 

Highlighted

If you got an andriod phone it would be much easier to see data usage, when you used the data, what it was used for, etc. You can also see how much of your plan data has been used each month if you set it up correctly. 

Not to mention all of the other advantages to android 

Highlighted

PM/Telus/Koodo's resolution dispute team contacted me yesterday and has resolved my CCTS complaint satisfactorily with a $96 credit toward my Koodo bill. For me it a tacit admission of PM's system error calculating my data use.

Highlighted

I have now left PM for Koodo, and getting unlimited Canada-wide talk/text + 6GB, with real customer service. AND, PM/Telus/Koodo's resolution dispute team contacted me yesterday and has resolved my CCTS complaint satisfactorily with a $96 credit toward my Koodo bill. For me it a tacit admission of PM's system error calculating my data use.

So long to you all. Good luck.

Highlighted

It's unfortunate you experienced this issue and had to go to the CCTS but at least they were able to credit your account. 

Highlighted

thanks for sharing us your incident. Will be sure to keep an eye out for my data!

Highlighted

@soaringhawk,

Good luck. 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.