cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile has launched Name Display

shawnie_boy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Just wanted to inform everyone that PM now officially supports name display like Koodo and Telus. I am seeing the name of the caller on my phone now.
43 REPLIES 43

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 wrote:

I think that this is in the step in the right direction, but with a few reservations.

I like that incoming calls show the name of the person or company if the information is available.

I do have issue with the outgoing name information being sent.  I for one, don't want that information to be sent each and every time I call a store or a company just to ask a quick 30 second question.  I fully realize that many people won't answer a call if you block your call display information (the phone number part), but I believe that outgoing name display should be optional.  It should also be allowed to be ediited. 

@computergeek541  I agree.

One way around this, if you don't want a business to know who's calling, is to use fongo for that call.  It has an option to display your caller ID or not.  When that is toggled off, the caller ID shows up as a random number.

I think that this is in the step in the right direction, but with a few reservations.

I like that incoming calls show the name of the person or company if the information is available.

I do have issue with the outgoing name information being sent.  I for one, don't want that information to be sent each and every time I call a store or a company just to ask a quick 30 second question.  I fully realize that many people won't answer a call if you block your call display information (the phone number part), but I believe that outgoing name display should be optional.  It should also be allowed to be ediited. 

Vickel
This is a nice surprise

I didn't realize till now, but I had it on Thursday. Got a call from a service tech and the company named showed up

Not sure why I thought that was normal

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire
I do not seem to have that for me, unlike someone (@mimmo_L) I am not married so I can delete them easily (y)

mimmo
Deleted my wife's number from my phone and used her PM cell to call me and all I saw was her phone number.

Better re add her to my contacts else I might get in trouble

skmkenn

I haven't been able to test this yet since I don't have another line handy that offers the name display ability, but it should work with any number that attaches the name along with the phone number.

From past experience, Rogers Wireless and most land-line providers will attach the subscribers name to an outgoing call unless specifically turned off, so any incoming calls originating from those networks should show up and presumably those of TELUS/Koodo/Public Mobile subscribers if the subscriber name on the account is attached when making an outgoing call. I'm interested to see if that's the case, or if it only works inbound on our lines at this point.

Update: I had someone call me from their landline and sure enough, the name was displayed along with the phone number. I also had a friend on Koodo call me and it only shows their phone number, and the same thing when I tried calling them.

So it looks like name display works on an incoming basis with with providers who are attaching the name information (also known as CNAM) with the outgoing call information such as Rogers and landline providers as mentioned earlier, but there's no outgoing call display being sent from TELUS/Koodo/Public Mobile at this time.

mimmo

does it work on cell phone lines or just numbers in the "white and yellow pages"?

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

How do you test it call my cell from a landline?

Indeed just tested it out and works Cat Surprised

I assume this does not affect outbound calls network just passes on MDN?

mimmo
Don't forget visual voicemail

shawnie_boy

Maybe part of reason PM had issues they were upgrading. VOLTE next hehe

Maybe it's bug! What's a good bug called? Robot LOL

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

echf

Mine works since yesterday (Aug 19) afternoon! 

crazycolby
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Same here this afternoon
Need Help? Let's chat.