cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile Locked my Unlocked BYOD phone(?)

Sadhappygambler
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi!

I bought a iPhone 6s+ in 2015 directly from the Apple store online and as such it was unlocked from day one.   It worked fine as an unlocked phone and I used it on numerous carriers including public mobile often swapping cards when I roamed to other countries. 

Last month it had warranty issues so I exchanged it with Apple and they provided me with a new identical replacement.  I put my public mobile SIM card into it and it worked fine.  

However now I'm roaming in the US on holiday in Vegas and as usual I swapped my SIM to my roammobility card which has worked fine in the past.  This time though it tells me "SIM not supported" as if the phone is locked.  I further tested my wife's roammobility card in my phone (same problem) and my roammobility card in her unlocked phone (works fine).  So clearly my direct from Apple BYOD phone is strangely locked. 

I contacted Apple to ask how my phone could be locked since it was a direct from Apple device not purchased through a carrier.  They told me:

"It appears that when this device was reactivated with your carrier they locked it into the network.  In order for you to be able to use it for different carriers you will need to contact them and have them unlock it from their system."

When I asked how it was possible a carrier could just lock an unlocked  BYOD phone they told me:

"It's most likely unintentional"

And when I asked if Apple could just override the errant lock they said:

"Unfortunately we are unable to do that. The lock process is actually something that is initiated by the carrier once you have the device on their network. 

I do hope that you are able to resolve this without too much hassle"

I do understand that for public mobile to unlock my phone it needs my IMEI but I am unsure if it's safe to put it on a public forum... if it is safe to do so I don't mind sharing it. 

Obviously I'd really like to be able to use my phone in Vega so if there's tips on speeding up resolution I'd appreciate it!

Thanks all!

37 REPLIES 37

Sadhappygambler

@Andy1000 wrote:

The replacement phone you got from is not factory unlocked. The gave you the one that lockes to the first sim used so you need to contact Apple to unlock it for you. 

Thanks Andy1000.  However I started by contacting Apple (see my OP) and they said the opposite : that they couldn't help at all and I should contact my carrier that locked it.  

Given Apple's high standards of customer service could they really send me a not factory unlocked phone under their applecare plus program by mistake?   I guess anything is possible but the phone was brand new (not even refurbished according to Apple).  

Your theory does make more sense though than what Apple told me.   I find it unbelievable that a carrier could lock a completely unlocked phone at their complete discretion which is what Apple is telling me.

I'll see what the PM mods discover before seeing if I need to go back to Apple for round 2.  

Andy1000
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The replacement phone you got from is not factory unlocked. The gave you the one that lockes to the first sim used so you need to contact Apple to unlock it for you. 

Sadhappygambler

Thanks all.  I tried iphoneox and it correctly identified my device (gave me my own serial) but it says "Sim lock status: unknown".

I'll try writing the moderators!

@Wonder_why wrote:

Really strange to hear, once the phone is unlocked,the phone provider can't locked it 

samsung does the same with new/unlocked phones. Once a sim is inserted for the first time, it locks to the carrier, but samsung provides an unlock code in the box

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

you will need to send your imei to teh moderators as well as teh rest of yoru info to see what can be done.

Contact the Moderator_Team by clicking here.

In your message include:
- account email address
- PM phone number
- explanation of what is happening or a link to this thread

X-Files
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You can go to this free online iPhone IMEI checker website , find out if your phone is locked to the carrier or not, Good Luck !

http://www.iphoneox.com/

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Really strange to hear, once the phone is unlocked,the phone provider can't locked it 

Need Help? Let's chat.