cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile App Development

djraval
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi Everyone, 

I have seen multiple requests on this forum for a mobile app to track data usge and otehr stuff.
I am a graduate student with the needed skills and have started to develop a homebrew mobile app for PM(Not the bookmark trick or pin to homescreen). Would be sharing my progress here.

App would leverage the selfserve portal by requesting data and parsing to display in the app.

Planned Features :

• Data Usage
  • Current Bill and credits
  • Share referral code

Please let me know what other features would you all be expecting.
Also, this would be my hobby project so can't give any timeline but will try to help out this community.

If any devs want to join in the effort, please PM me.

7 REPLIES 7

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@djraval It's not likely.  Customers have been asking for years. I haven't seen any of those account app do anything but mirror the self serve website of carriers. What's the point?

I don't think a client-side app of this sort could ever accomplish anything useful without PM-side support.

Telus already has a backend - multiple machines for tracking billing, usage, etc - and Telus already makes webpage frontend (along with their own useless apps) to interface with them.

So if your app can get some "inside" support then I think it could be promising. Maybe users could send requests for usage reports/etc by texting keywords to 611, stuff like that. 

But if your app is you on your own then I think it just can't/wont accomplish anything that Self-Serve login and "Public Mobile here... " texts haven't already covered. You're trying to invent a solution before eve identifying a problem. 

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you can build in modules. Start with usage of plan and Canadian addons per customer account. 

Ie $15 plan. 

Dates.....30 period started mmddyyy and period ends mmddyyyy

and a 5 day warning....getting close to end of period. 

100 minutes outbound..........25 left

250mb Data..........75 left

Then Canadian addons similar to above

Then

Details of texts in/out

Details of calls in/out 

Later

Add US addons

and more

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@djraval great idea! Hope it works out well 😀

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

I congratulate your effort to create such a beast, however I have no issues using the current browser interface.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Like with the existing data monitoring app, is there a way to query the phone call airtime activity and then round up to the next minute? Same with outgoing texts taking into account the 160 characters per text that need to also be counted as a text if more?

I think there would be security/privacy issues getting into someone's account.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Tracking minutes and text usuage.

Need Help? Let's chat.