cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile App Alternative

Dankaroo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Firstly if you are not interested in the backstory of the solution in this post go ahead and skip down to the solution section below. Secondly if you are not seeing what's mentioned in the solution please ensure your device and browser are up to date.

As public Mobile is a service with the motto less for less they prioritize simplicity over extravagance. We can all agree that the browsers we use to interact with the community or to self serve is adequate so why do people even want an app?

The answer is ease of access, people want a one push icon on their devices that automatically brings them to these important pages. I would like to provide an easy alternative to a timely and costly app development.

Solution:

Android

From the Chrome browser head over to any intended pages you want to make an icon for, then press on the 3 dots at the top right and in the menu search for add to home screen.

iOS

Same idea as for Android, main difference is iOS uses an arrow exiting a box icon near the bottom of the screen to represent it's menu. It should also have an add to home screen option which applies to the current page you are viewing.

That's it, you now have an icon you can move to anywhere you like on your device. Hope it helps

6 REPLIES 6

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Dankaroo wrote:

I wonder if multiple icons for different pages are possible with that app.

@Dankaroo yes, you can set up several.  The free version has a limit, though I forget how many off the top of my head.  If you pay a few bucks for the premium version, it's either a much higher limit, or limitless (again, I forget).  I have the premium, and here's all the ones I've set up so far:

Screenshot_20190203-221051.jpg

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Dankaroo

@Anonymous oof got me there 😅

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dankaroo wrote:

@Anonymous Oh I was just referencing Bravo's

Maybe you missed the smiley? 🙂 I know. Just goofin' around.

Dankaroo

@Anonymous Oh I was just referencing Bravo's

@NDesai Interesting solution. Although agreeably more complicated than mine. Also considering this community UI is not heavy on the default browsers resources it might be overkill too. I wonder if multiple icons for different pages are possible with that app.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

I would give this a thumbs up: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Very-Partial-workaround-for-lack-of-P...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dankaroo wrote:
Hope it helps and don't forget thumbs up

Who's thumbs up? Maybe some kinda charity or somethin'? 🙂

I seem to recall someone made something like a home page a while ago too.

Need Help? Let's chat.