cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Provincial Tax

coffeebunny
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, quick little question to you lovely folks!

Will I be taxed based on my address or the area code of my cell number?

I currently live in AB and it's my billing address on the PM system. However, I kept my ON number when I moved here. I'm just curious.

Thanks for reading 🙂

11 REPLIES 11

In general it makes no sense to have an out of province number

After all, if it did we should all just sign up for Koodo48 plan right Cat Wink

@ute1978 wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

I don't agree with that.  I know there are situations in which people move from one province to another and wish to keep an old phone number or where people stay in another province for part of the year.

But, in my opininion, basing the sales tax on the province that the phone number belongs to is the only way to do things. 

Then this would be a free ticket for cheating the taxes. Just pick an Alberta phone number to pay only 5% instead of 15% for a Nova Scotia number for example.

That's the same argument that I'm using for not basing the taxes off of the address. But, it's far easier to use a fake address than it is to use an out-of-province phone number.
Someone who is outside Alberta is far less likely to take an Albertan based phone number just to save on taxes.  This is because he/she would not want to force people who are calling to pay long distance. The vast majority of people just aren't going to do that.
I know this isn't great for someone who does have a legitimate reason for having an out of province phone number.  But for the reason I've stated, I firmly believe that the way things are set up now (sales taxes based on the province of the phone number) is the way it needs to be and the way it should be.
Basing taxes on the address would lead to much more abuse than basing it off the phone number.

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@computergeek541 wrote:

I don't agree with that.  I know there are situations in which people move from one province to another and wish to keep an old phone number or where people stay in another province for part of the year.

But, in my opininion, basing the sales tax on the province that the phone number belongs to is the only way to do things. 

Then this would be a free ticket for cheating the taxes. Just pick an Alberta phone number to pay only 5% instead of 15% for a Nova Scotia number for example.

@ute1978 wrote:

I am in the same situation. I now live in AB but kept my SK number.

Unfortunately the system charges the tax according to the phone number NOT the home address. Which is wrong in my opinion. The programmers should program to take the province from the address in the account. Why should I pay 10% instead of 5% just because my phone number starts with a 306?

But, in my opininion, basing the sales tax on the province that the phone number belongs to is the only way to do things.  Public Mobile is a prepaid carrier and does not and cannot verify customer addresses, especially if prepaid vouchers are used for payments.    If Public Mobile were to make exceptions for a customer who says something similar to:  "I moved to Edmonton from Toronto and that's why I have a Toronto number and you should charge the lower tax rate", anyone could then claim that. 

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@daredogg wrote:

@SD08 can you confirm that?

I'm thinking the opposite, that it should be based on your address, since your credit card should have that same address. Maybe @coffeebunny (or someone else) can confirm at their next billing date.

I am in the same situation. I now live in AB but kept my SK number.

Unfortunately the system charges the tax according to the phone number NOT the home address. Which is wrong in my opinion. The programmers should program to take the province from the address in the account. Why should I pay 10% instead of 5% just because my phone number starts with a 306?

Just to clarify, All Talk plans are Unlimited

Tax is ONLY Paid when U buy Vouch for your A/C, or using a CC  to Purchase Add-Ons, Plan Renewals

Alright @kav2001c thanks for reply... and @SD08 I just wanted to confirm, not to make you out to be a liar Robot Embarassed

@daredogg definately based on phone number for taxes

Also extra fees like 911 are based on number

daredogg
Mayor / Maire

@SD08 can you confirm that?

I'm thinking the opposite, that it should be based on your address, since your credit card should have that same address. Maybe @coffeebunny (or someone else) can confirm at their next billing date.

coffeebunny
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Darn.. I was hoping to benefit from that 5% AB tax 😞 

Thanks! I appreciate the quick response.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

The area code of the phone number used determines the tax charged.

Need Help? Let's chat.