cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Province wide calling while travelling

asycnem
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

When travelling outside your home province with province wide calling I read that:
1. Calls made to whichever province you are in are free
2. You wil not receive calls unless you have a long distance add-on

My question is, do calls made to other people who are travelling outside their home province count as local calls? E.g. Home province is Ontario for friend and I, and we travel to Quebec. He is on a Canada wide calling plan while I am on a province wide plan. Do I need a long distance add-on to call my friend even if we are travelling in the same province?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

asycnem
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for the clarification you guys Smiley Happy

KK
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
No. Your actual location at the time of making a call determines the province for making a free provincial calling. The area code of the number you are calling determines the "location" of the recipient. The area code had to be from the same province.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@NDesai, yup, I learned this from reading a few cases over the last year.  

It does not matter if the number the OP wants to call is in the same room as him.  If the OP is out of home province, then he can only make outgoing calls to numbers belonging to the province he is currently in.. i.e. Quebec.

If someone in Quebec chose to keep old number from Ontario while living in Quebec, the OP won't be able to call out to this person while traveling in Quebec with an Ontario province-wide plan.  

Basically, your area code determines your home province.. regardless of what you put as your mailing/permanent address.

Vickel
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@imm1304 wrote:

Hi @asycnem!

Your overall understanding of the province-wide calling while travelling is correct.

In the scenario you described, you will still need a long distance add-on to make a call to your friend.  The home province is determined by the area code of the phone number and not by the physical location of the customer in real time.  

You can, of course, make free calls using apps such as Google Hangout Dialer, or Fongo while traveling out of province.  Don't forget, your data/sms coverage with PM is nationwide and can be put to good use with the free calling apps if you don't wish to purchase the long distance add-on.  

That's my understand of the province wide calling as well

I have setup hangouts to use my number as outgoing caller ID, when I need to make out of province calls using the nationwide data

@imm1304 really?, i thought it determines which tower you are connected to. If his frined is in Quebec, the same province as him with Canada wide talk, i don't know why op can't call him. So if a person living in Quebec that has number from another province (decided to keep it when he moved), op cannot call that number? 

imm1304

@NDesai, the friend's from Ontario as well and presumably has an Ontario area code.  So, the OP won't be able to call the friend while both are in Quebec.  OP can, however, call out to Quebec numbers while in Quebec.  

imm1304

Hi @asycnem!

Your overall understanding of the province-wide calling while travelling is correct.

In the scenario you described, you will still need a long distance add-on to make a call to your friend.  The home province is determined by the area code of the phone number and not by the physical location of the customer in real time.  

You can, of course, make free calls using apps such as Google Hangout Dialer, or Fongo while traveling out of province.  Don't forget, your data/sms coverage with PM is nationwide and can be put to good use with the free calling apps if you don't wish to purchase the long distance add-on.  

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@asycnem wrote:

Hi,

My question is, do calls made to other people who are travelling outside their home province count as local calls? E.g. Home province is Ontario for friend and I, and we travel to Quebec. He is on a Canada wide calling plan while I am on a province wide plan. Do I need a long distance add-on to call my friend even if we are travelling in the same province?

Thanks

You will be able to call him without long distance addon as he is travelling in the same province and he is on Canada-Wide talk. However, you will not receive calls from him

See reply below. 

Need Help? Let's chat.