cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private message limit?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Has anyone ever received this authentication error message before? Screenshot_20200314-051343.png

37 REPLIES 37

@Korth  Actually bc parks is quite A N A L they even banned booze last year so you would have to hide it when the parks warden is around....but I've only camped once in the past 25 years at a bc park (porteau cove and its gorgeous) due to the near elimination of fcfs and the reservation system "selling" out in mere minutes once they open up with the exception of the less popular and very remote parks.

This is why I pay half price at bc forestry sites instead....long weekends can be quite the party weekend but by Monday night it's quiet again and down to 3 or 4 campsites mid week and you start worrying about the bear coming for a 3 am visit. My biggest drawback to bc parks is I don't want to camp beside a vehicle...i want to be surrounded by nature. Cell phone off or only used for tunes or photos.....or the bear hotline its on speed dial!

I have a never fail guerrilla campsite near daisy lake if you don't mind camping in a civil defense zone and hoofing your gear for about a half hour but I like paying for two months and just bringing cooler, fresh groceries and potent potables each week, weekend or fortnight depending on my schedule.

@Anonymous

Seems like some minor bugs in the system for me. Maybe they'll work themselves out when $15 plan renews $15 plan and stuff resets. We know PM is changing some things under the hood.

@darlicious

I was up that way recently, installing some fancy control systems on ski lifts. Very scenic, very sunny, a wee bit chilly. But I dunno about that whole reservations system, it implies an endless overabundance of drunken party yahoos poisoning the landscape. Quite contrary to my preference of being a reclusive cave-dwelling misanthrope, lol.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hairbag1 : I really want to Bravo that Parks factoid as I had imagined it was going to be like that...but how can I?...This all sucks the suck right out of the suck.

@Korth : My counter shows 7 minutes. When I add up my usage and round up I get 8. Go figure. Maybe (and I'm not testing it at this moment:) ) it rounds down when less than 15 seconds into a minute. Dunno.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AE_Collector wrote:

Hmm, have we talked about the best grocery stores or our favourite beer/wine yet in this topic? We’ve got most other stuff covered!

AE_Collector

How about the Knights of Nit? We can dress up that SEND button with some shrubbery.:)

From the dawn of cell phones, the timer started when you hit SEND, not from when a call is answered unless it is not answered and not transferred. Just the way it is!

Hmm, have we talked about the best grocery stores or our favourite beer/wine yet in this topic? We’ve got most other stuff covered!

AE_Collector

Yeah at this point we aren’t going anywhere! We can hope for much improvement by summer but who really knows? We’ve been off our property once in 8 days here. Went to pick up prescriptions at Shoppers Drug Mart, grabbed a jug of milk while there, did McD’s drive through and took it home. Rest of the time working on long overdue projects around the house.

AE_Collector

@Korth  But maybe your plan is registering a call to voicemail as counting towards outgoing by mistake. I will call my bf but not want to leave a message. If I don't hang up before the fifth ring finishes and I hear that click on the line before his message starts and still hang up the forwarded call to voicemail will show in his daily usage history and record the dialing/ringing time of 5 or 6 seconds. If your plan didnt provision correctly this could account for the charged outgoing minutes. Check in your usage history for calls to voicemail that didn't leave a message but usage recorded 5-8 seconds of time used. Then contact the moderators if this accounts for the discrepancy.

From BC Parks website.....

All campgrounds, camping opportunities and accommodations will be closed until at least April 30; as we move through this pandemic this closure date will be reviewed.

@Korth  An unanswered call that forwards to voicemail does not use outgoing minutes...it is still considered incoming.

@AE_Collector  You could always come join us up at the lake for a few weeks this summer....theres also some great free spots up the elaho valley we could turn you onto but you do not get a cell phone signal there period. If we started planning now and booked as soon as the dates become available (3 months ahead of booking) I get free camping at all bc provincial parks...just have to pay max 3×$6 reservation fee for up 14 days at one bc park location. (A saving of about $490) If you supply the vehicle I'll supply the campsite  (maximum 8 adults per site). July bookings open up April 1st the last i checked.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Korth wrote:

OP already answered. But I recall there was a $10 plan and an older iteration of a $15 plan which both had Limited Talk and Limited Text. Did customers with these plans receive any usage warnings or a Self-Serve message (like above) when at their provisioned Text limits?

The $10 plan will notify by text when 10 minutes left and with 10 texts left.

But I don't think this has anything to do with the subject line.

@AE_Collector

Already combed through the usage metrics quite methodically. I assure you that there's no way the given data can sum as reported. I have lists of incoming/missed calls but no way to know the call durations forwarded to my voicemail, for all I know the callers might casually fumble around the menus searching for better options or re-record their message multiple times before getting it right.

I've made it a point to not access my voicemail from my own number for the first month (or three) on this plan, I wanted to determine exactly how PM handles limited minute billing. So far not looking very good for them, it turns out, lol.

@Korth 

I moved both of our phones down to the $15 plan at the end of last September. I wondered if we would get by with this plan initially and we’ve had no problem. One only has to be careful of the data use, I haven’t run out but my wife cut into 150 Mb from one of her two free 1 Gb of data add-ons recently. Our routine is to bump up to the $40/5 GB plan from May through September while we virtually live full time at our cabin without wifi. But since our cabin is about 700 feet south of the 49th parallel we may not be getting there this year.

I don’t know where your outgoing minutes would be disappearing to. Mine generally seem about right but I haven’t paid a lot of attention. I’m pretty much certain that retrieving voice mail using your cell phone is consuming outgoing minutes. I have seen speculation that once an incoming call forwards to VM, outgoing minutes are being consumed. I would find that a little hard to believe but possible around here I guess. And we both know that almost anything is possible around here. There is an online activity record available I believe, you could likely get a better idea what is going on there... unless you already have done all of that.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector

I downscaled to the $15 plan a month ago.

Plan Details say "100 minutes Canada-Wide Talk + Unlimited Incoming Minutes". 

Usage does not add up at all, not per-second, not per-minute (regardless of any approach to minute rounding), the discrepancy is actually quite significant. (23 minutes from almost 4 minutes actual talk which could be worst-extreme rounded up to 9 minutes).

Perhaps my incoming minutes (missed calls, voicemail) are being counted? Hope not, since I can't control (and don't want to pay for) people calling me.

And I still get AutoPay bonus data without AutoPay enabled (as always).

And I still get $2 Community Reward credit in Transaction History (as always) while Community Reward is reported as $5 (not the first time).

Self-Serve is full of bugs. They don't bug me much. Maybe I lost (or gained) a few bucks here or there, of little consequence compared to how much money I've already saved on PM vs my old ripoff cellphone bills.

I can understand people getting angry about the bugs, though, especially when they aren't getting what they paid for or some minor issue on the site itself obstructs them from getting things working. Maybe the bugs will bug me if I use my talk text data enough for them to scale up and start costing me money.

But at least Self-Serve seems only half as slow as it did before!

@Korth 

The previous version of the $15 plan was only different in that it had 100 minutes of combined incoming and outgoing voice minutes. It didn’t have unlimited incoming voice. It always had unlimited text.

AE_Collector

OP already answered. But I recall there was a $10 plan and an older iteration of a $15 plan which both had Limited Talk and Limited Text. Did customers with these plans receive any usage warnings or a Self-Serve message (like above) when at their provisioned Text limits?

@smiley3 

You misread my comment...I wrote FORUM (IE: Community) not FORMER.

:CatHappy: Collector

smiley3
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@AE_Collector I'm not a former member, just joined PM a couple months ago....Did someone else used to have my username or something?

I keep meaning to ask forum member @smiley3 if they shouldn’t consider changing their screen name to :CatHappy:3

AE_Collector

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Luddite wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I only have just over 1500 and I've not seen that message.

I don't think there's a bulk way to delete.

@Anonymous There was, but it disappeared after one of the forum improvements; just as emojis seem to have done lately. Now I'm stuck bring up the extended keyboard on my Chromebook whenever I need one! 😩

Yes. Yet another goof up on the emoji's. A couple days ago I saw someone with the colon parenthesis smiley immediately following their line of text like this:). Oh...well that works. Otherwise it looks like this :cathappy:That was typing the same thing except putting a space in front.

@Anonymous wrote:

I only have just over 1500 and I've not seen that message.

I don't think there's a bulk way to delete.

@Anonymous There was, but it disappeared after one of the forum improvements; just as emojis seem to have done lately. Now I'm stuck bring up the extended keyboard on my Chromebook whenever I need one! 😩

good old days.jpg

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@will13am  As much as I may be a socially distant butterfly and I had a flurry of activity mid week flitting from private inbox message#1 to private outbox message#50 over about a 36 hour period. Followed by 6 messages over the next 36 hours til i got that authentication message i will not reveal which caterpillars came out of their cocoons....but @David_J  I don't think I've come even close to the khoros private messaging limits.....so it will remain a curiosity for now.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@David_J  thanks for the update.  My guess was correct, @darlicious is a social butterfly and broke the private messaging system as a result.  On a slightly different topic, is it possible to restore the quotation option?  Replies without quotations loses context sometimes.  

Hmmm, those upper limits would be fairly hard to hit in normal situations but not impossible if trying to push the limits or spamming which is likely the intent of this limitation. Good to know!  

@srlawren  Your test almost exposed the 15 in 5 minute limit, just didn’t hang in there quite long enough.

AE_Collector

David_J
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

@darlicious @srlawren @killerofmusic @will13am @Alan_K 

Hi everyone - just following up on this as I have response from Khoros...

First, Khoros has told me there is no limit on the number of messages stored.

@srlawren  's response that you hit the limit of number of messages sent is what Khoros has told me what likely happened. The limits are 5 msg within 30 secs, 15 msg to 10 min, 30 msg within 60 min. 

Hope this helps - please provide additional feedback if you think this might not be the case.

David_J

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@darlicious It would appear I am out to lunch.  I just sent someone a dozen messages in the span of about 3 mins and didn't hit any errors.  Sorry about that, thought I had run into that in the past.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren   I'm not so sure about that....29 in/out.....58 total in one week. Is that a lot? I've certainly had more messages in a week. And many less as well. If there's been a particularly busy day it's often when having a discussion with a moderator. Peculiar but we'll see what pm comes up with once they look into it.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@darlicious did you try again later?  I think it's a rate limiter, rather than an overall # of messages limiter.  I think you sent too many in a short period of time.  It's a flood prevention technique.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Alan_K   Thank you for looking into this....i have sent a private message earlier today so it has allowed me back into the system. This could certainly be a major inconvenience if moderator support was needed to fix an issue...or fix this one. Luckily it does resolve itself but it would be interesting to see if it occurs again and what triggered it to put a limit on private messages on a temporary basis.

killerofmusic
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Wow never realised there could be a private message limit. I hope they resolve this bug. 

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@darlicious wrote:

Has anyone ever received this authentication error message before? Screenshot_20200314-051343.png

@darlicious Thanks for flagging, we are looking into it!

Need Help? Let's chat.