cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting wrong number

mouseontherun
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The "alternate number" field is confusing. My phone shows now the number I put in the "alternate number" box. The number I asked to be ported, it did not got ported, instead it was ported the "alternate" which is my work phone and could get me in trouble. Please help. Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13

debmaloon
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Did you sort this out?

PM also ported the wrong number for me...

They ported my home landline number!

That is now defunct and I don't know what to do...

Any advice?

Before even attempting to get your Freedom Mobile phone number over to Public Mobile, you will want to make sure your wife's phone number gets sent back to Chatr first.  If you port in your nynber now, that will make things much more difficult for your wife.  Although your wife getting your wife's number may "burn" your Public Mobile sim card, that is minor compared to your wife possibly losing her phone number permanently.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

@mrinmoyg

Hi there! Thank you for your reaching out to us. Sorry to hear about the trouble with the transfer of your number. For assist, can you please send us a private message along with your phone# and PIN# as well as all the necessary information of the Freedom Mobile account. 

Thank you! 

mrinmoyg

Thanks @computergeek541.

Really appreciate your help here.

Yes her number was with "chatr" and is fully transferred, I called and was ringing in per public mobile sim, the previous "chatr" sim is with no signal etc.

I wish to call up "chatr" to revert back, but I am very much new to "public mobile" and dont know how to reach, to explain the problem, other than this great forum.

I called up "Freedom" (my service provider) to check if there was any port out request, which they said no.

Thanks again,

Mrin

@mrinmoyg wrote:

Just happened to me now. I was porting my number from "Freedom Mobile", gave all the details also the A/c number etc.

I gave my wife's number as "Alternate number" . Now I see my wife's number is ported instead of mine. Which is really bad now.

I am not sure how it happened, as the account number etc should not match.

Her number is fully ported and the old sim is kind of non-functioning, my phone/sim is all good with no porting in effect.

I am not sure what to do?

Any help!!

Thanks,

Mrinmoy

You will first need to figure out if your wife's phone number really has been ported over to Public Mobile.  Call her phone number and see where it rings.  If it rings on your Public Mobile sim card/phone, then it has been transfered offer.  If it still rings on your wife's Freedom line, then the phone number did not transfer over.  In that case, the number transfer should fail due to mismatched account information.

Outgoing calls on your Public Moible service showing your wife's phone number does not mean that the number has been transfered over.  If that's the case, that would just mean that Public Mobile mistakenly assinged the wrong phone number to your account.

If your wife's phone number has been in fact fully transfered to Public Mobile, step one would be for your wife to get her phone number back (and to the service provider that she wants).

The first thing I would do would be to have your wife contact Freedom Mobile to tell them that she did not authorize the transfer of the phone number to another to another carrier (which she didn't).  Freedom Mobile has an obligation to reverse this number port and I would consider this to be a case of the carrier accidently disconnecting the service, for which they are required (wireless code) to restore servcie within 1 business day.  Freedom will tell you that they will need "Back Office" to contact you back and that callback will take 3 to 5 business days.  Like I said, they are REQUIRED to restore service more quickly than that, so know that the "3 to 5 business day" part is just a line that they give to everyone.  Hopefullly, they can do it faster.

As I see it,  both carriers would need to take some blame for this if in the phone number transfer did fully complete. Something at the Public Mobile end is clearly causing aternate phone numbers to be ported.  This isn't there first time this has happened.  However, at the same time, there's is no way that Freedom Mobile should approve the transfer of your wife's phone number since you said that it was on a separate account thank yours.

After your wife gets Freeedom to restore her service, you will then need to get in touch with Public Mobile.  Once Freedom restores your wife's phone number, I suspect that your Public Mobile sim card will be "burnt".  I would imagine that if that happens, that Public Mobile would be willing to mail you a free replacement.  After you get your new Public Mobile sim card, you might need to start the entire account setup process again.

mrinmoyg

Just happened to me now. I was porting my number from "Freedom Mobile", gave all the details also the A/c number etc.

I gave my wife's number as "Alternate number" . Now I see my wife's number is ported instead of mine. Which is really bad now.

I am not sure how it happened, as the account number etc should not match.

Her number is fully ported and the old sim is kind of non-functioning, my phone/sim is all good with no porting in effect.

I am not sure what to do?

Any help!!

Thanks,

Mrinmoy

manelgm
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I agree that the "alternate number" field was confusing during activation.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Good afternoon @mouseontherun

Thank you for raising concern regarding this. 

I'm really sorry to see that you're unable to port your phone number. I can assist you with this, would you mind sending me your PM phone number, the # you wish to port and the account # associated ?

I'll keep an eye out for your private message,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

mouseontherun

I just tried again to do the porting but I'm getting "You must be authorized to transfer this phone number" message. I am the owner of this number so, what's going on?

pmobile
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
That could have ended up pretty bad, glad it worked out!

mouseontherun

That's probably correct. Both, work phone and old number are working. I just changed the number to a random one and it's working. Tomorrow I'll initiate again the porting.

Hi again. Occurred to me that the port of your work number will fail because you are not the account holder, and presumably the verification item requested will be incorrect. All true?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

Couple of thoughts:

- confirm your old sim still works in your phone for sending and receiving,

- if it is, go into your self serve account and change your phone number; pick any number but don't port yet.

Tomorrow morning, if your phone is functioning correctly with the new number, initiate the port again.

Alternate number can be any number, not even related to you.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.