cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting number out of PM and keeping account

benchen5
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello, 

Wondering if anyone has been able to port their number out of their PM account but found a way to keep the PM account active with a new number. 

7 REPLIES 7

If one picks a NEW phone number for their account here at PM, your previous number floats off somewhere into cyber space. I don't know how quickly but it actually is returned to the carrier that it started with... the one who has that NPA-NNX assigned to it. If one were trying to port their number out to THAT same carrier along with keeping their PM account with a NEW number, you are almost there. It would seem possible that since THAT carrier is getting your business on a new account they may be willing to search for your old number. You may have to prove that it used to be yours.

So there are many “IF’s” involved and I am just guessing that you might have a bit of pull in that scenario and of course maybe that number isn't going back to the carrier you want. Plus maybe it takes months to find its way home......

AE_Collector

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@benchen5  et al: I'm not in this category, but if you wish to have complete freedom of movement between carriers and retain a permanent phone number, then sign up for TextNow, or Fongo mobile. You would need to port out your "permanent" number once, but from then on could use call forwarding to whoever is your carrier du jour. 

One annoyance might be texting to your permanent number requires a data connection (wifi or cellular) for both services.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@6044329700 wrote:

I ported my number out of Fido and I can still signed into my account check for deals and anything else, you should be able to do same with plubic. 

@6044329700 unfortunately no.  At most providers (including Fido), you have an Account as a top-level thing, and one or more Line(s) under it; when you port a line out of the account, the line closes but the account remains.  At Public Mobile, the Line and Account are the same thing, so porting your number closes the line and by extension the account.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I ported my number out of Fido and I can still signed into my account check for deals and anything else, you should be able to do same with plubic. 

Sorry good idea that many wish to be able to do but unfortunately it is not possible.

I have a Koodo number I want on this account and this number on Koodo. Can't even do that. 

Once you port you loose any rewards you earned like loyality , referrals.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

I don't think that is possible.  Once you port your account then it gets deactivated.  Each account can only have one phone associated to it. You would need to setup a new account with a new sim, email, and phone number.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@benchen5 wrote:

Hello, 

Wondering if anyone has been able to port their number out of their PM account but found a way to keep the PM account active with a new number. 

Not possible. Pretty sure it's not possible anywhere. Porting closes the account. Done.

Need Help? Let's chat.