cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting my phone number

rickeyboy22
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I would like my phone number ported to another provider. How do I get this done?

19 REPLIES 19

@rickeyboy22 

Well you do have a point there...Do have you have any rewards on your account? Were you on the $15 plan?  I take it the new provider is not telus or koodo? At this point if you want to argue your point which is a valid one you will need to contact the moderators and explain what has happened and that due to the wrong text being sent out by pm your port did not complete. You can ask for a credit of $15 enough to reactivate your service to port out.

Whether the moderators agree to do this is very YMMV and do keep in mind your new provider should have informed you in a timely manner what your next steps should have been. When did your plan expire with pm? I suggest a private message so you can fully explain the situation. Maybe you should ask your new provider for a credit of $15 to make up for not  ensuring your phone number was safely ported in....it's a 50/50 split on blame..... Best of luck with seeking a resolution.

Spoiler

Send a private message...   Contact the moderators by sending a private message and leave a detailed message explaining your issue and the info to verify your account by including the following information:  

1. Full name and address on pm account. ( Or province and postal code for newer accounts.)
  2. Email, phone # and pin #.

If  you cannot remember your pin # include at least three ( if they apply)of the following:

1.  Date of birth (n/a on newer accounts.)
  2. Last payment, date, amount, type and last 4 digits.
  3. Alternate phone number if any.
  4. Security question and answer.
  5. Plan amount, any add ons or promos on account.
  6. Last 4 digits of sim card.
  7. Any rewards in your account.
  8. Autopay y/n?
  9. Account #.
  10. Frequently called/texted phone numbers in the last 30 days.  

The average wait time is 2 to 4 hours but be prepared to wait up to 48 hours for non urgent requests. Current wait times are about one hour and are probably even less as I have had some very quick responses in tne past week.

Keep an eye on your private message box the envelope icon next to your avatar for a little number to pop indicating a message from the moderators. Responding promptly will speed up service times.

Do not post any of this info in the community only in your private messages when communicating or contacting the Moderator_Team.

To send a private message to the moderators click below : https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

rickeyboy22

I do not see why I should pay for another month's service when the error is clearly on the side of Public Mobile. The porting request was made before my plan expired. I still have the text message from Public Mobile dated July 12 to prove it.

Here's the text again:

Hey, it's Public Mobile. We received a request to cancel your account and transfer your phone number to another carrier. If you requested the transfer, no action is required. If you did not make this request, please immediately open our chatbot via this link bit.ly/2GF1pHW and type in "unauthorized port". This will put you in touch with our moderator team. Free msg.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rickeyboy22 : This is the wrong text. You should have got a text asking for you to confirm with a YES. You got the old negative option text telling you to ignore everything if it's what you wanted. I find this rather concerning. Are we going to get overnight fraudulent port-outs again? @J_PM 

But I'm sure by now it's all done with the moderators or your new provider.

@rickeyboy22 wrote:

It is now July 27. I followed what the message instructed. I did request the transfer and so I took no action. How can we fix this quickly? 

@rickeyboy22 

So, you will have to contact the new provider and re-request the porting.

However, before doing so.. if your PM ls NOT active, you need to pay one more month and reactivate the service.  

Your PM line has to be active (able to make calls, receive text and reply text) for the line to port out the number

Once your PM is active, put the PM SIM back to a phone, then re-request from the new provider the porting.   Then your PM phone would receive a text from PM and You need to reply YES within 90 mins or the port will fail.

@rickeyboy22 wrote:

I did receive a text from PM on July 12 at 8:55 AM. It reads as follows:

Hey, it's Public Mobile. We received a request to cancel your account and transfer your phone number to another carrier. If you requested the transfer, no action is required. If you did not make this request, please immediately open our chatbot via this link bit.ly/2GF1pHW and type in "unauthorized port". This will put you in touch with moderator team. Free msg.

It is now July 27. I followed what the message instructed. I did request the transfer and so I took no action. How can we fix this quickly? 

While there's no way to know if your new carrier or Public Mobile that is causing the issue here, I will say that your new carrier is giving you the run-around. All of this needs to be and should be taken care of by your new carrier. They are responsible for providing all customer service for this number porting, from submitting the request, informing you if there are any problems, fixing any number porting issues, and informing you when the number porting is complete. 

rickeyboy22

I did receive a text from PM on July 12 at 8:55 AM. It reads as follows:

Hey, it's Public Mobile. We received a request to cancel your account and transfer your phone number to another carrier. If you requested the transfer, no action is required. If you did not make this request, please immediately open our chatbot via this link bit.ly/2GF1pHW and type in "unauthorized port". This will put you in touch with moderator team. Free msg.

@Anonymous wrote:

@rickeyboy22 : This account needs to be active, put this SIM back in the phone, ask your new provider to port the number, get the SMS confirmation and confirm it, remove SIM, insert new SIM, wait.

I would suggest keeping the Public Mobile SIM card in the phone until porting is complete. Othewerise phone calls and possibly some text messages will not be received. The downside to this would be that the customer won't know that porting is done unless manually checking if the Public Mobile SIM card still has service.

Ideally, it would be good to have each both carriers' SIM cards in a compatible phone (but the Public Mobile SIM card in the phone that the Public Mobile was in when the porting request was made - in case IMEI was used as the account verification method).

@rickeyboy22 wrote:

The other provider can't do it until I authorize PM to release it. So how do I authorize PM to release it to my new provider? 

Contact your new provider again. It sounds like you got a confused customer service person there. Public Mobile/you can't authorize the phone number porting until your new provider sends the request.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rickeyboy22 : This account needs to be active, put this SIM back in the phone, ask your new provider to port the number, get the SMS confirmation and confirm it, remove SIM, insert new SIM, wait.

rickeyboy22

The other provider can't do it until I authorize PM to release it. So how do I authorize PM to release it to my new provider? 

@rickeyboy22 wrote:

Yes, I still have the PM Sim card but I removed it and replaced it with the other provider's Sim card.

When you submit the porting to your new carrier, put the Public sim back in. You need to answer the text message from Public.

@rickeyboy22 wrote:

By active, do you mean up and running meaning? Do you mean I have to pay for another month? I already disabled Autopay and deleted my credit card a few weeks ago when I activated my phone with another provider.

Public's plan needs to be running. Port out before your Public plan ends but there's no refund for unused time. You'll need to pay Public for a renewal if your plan expired.

rickeyboy22

Yes, I still have the PM Sim card but I removed it and replaced it with the other provider's Sim card.

rickeyboy22

By active, do you mean up and running meaning? Do you mean I have to pay for another month? I already disabled Autopay and deleted my credit card a few weeks ago when I activated my phone with another provider.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@rickeyboy22  On PM, are you need to confirm is that your PM line is active and not suspended.  Only Active account/line can be ported out.

Also, some people might like to disable Autopay as well as removing the credit card information from the system first before porting out, just in case.

@Koombassi wrote:

Hello RickeyBoy22. The process is quite simple. I did it myself two weeks ago. Do you have a PM Sim Card?

This member is porting out from Public Mobile to a different company.

@rickeyboy22 wrote:

I would like my phone number ported to another provider. How do I get this done?

You need to be asking your new provider for this information about the exact procedure. The new carrier is responsible for taking care of all of this.  You do need to make sure that you keep your Pubic Mobile service active to port the phone number out.  Be sure to disable autopay and removed any debit/credit card from your account before porting out.

Koombassi
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hello RickeyBoy22. The process is quite simple. I did it myself two weeks ago. Do you have a PM Sim Card?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@rickeyboy22 wrote:

@rickeyboy22 

If you are porting OUT of Public Mobile, than the other provider takes care of the porting process to move your number over. 

So contact them to proceed.

Need Help? Let's chat.