cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting my current number + changing my phone number

claudiakloc
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello there, I recently moved from Ontario to Alberta and have not been able to make any calls on my cell phone, as my plan only includes Unlimited Provincial Talk. 

To make and receive calls, would I have to change my phone number to an Alberta one through self serve? 

And in that case, I'd love to be able to port/transfer my Toronto number to storage – is that possible? I'll be moving back in a few years and would love to keep my 416 number on hand for when that time comes. 

14 REPLIES 14

@Luddite 

Guess who.....? lol....okay here is my query.  Given that the OP has been here since 2015 and @popping has likely correctly identified the 90 day legacy plan the OP is on then the chosen solution is not the best advice.

Changing plans isnt in the OP's best interest given their current plan.There may be a better solution already or perhaps just see if tbe OP comes back to update us with the choice they made....my money is on the status quo!

Yes they can change phone numbers so they feel more part of the community but they will not be able to keep their Toronto number and friends and family may incur long distance charges as well as the OP keeping the legacy plan.

The OP can keep the Toronto number. Friends and family from home will not incur long distance charges to call the OP but the OP will to call back home (use fongo # or buy the $5/500min add on). The OP as previously suggested can choose a local number from fongo and call forward that number to the Toronto number if needed and use it for outgoing for call display purposes.

Anyhow I just had to pipe up on this one in case @claudiakloc came back and changed plans thinking they could switch back only to discover they have lost their legacy plan along with their longtime number if they went with the chosen solution.😃

@claudiakloc 

Scratch my advice now that I see how long you have been with pm. Don't worry about having a Toronto number. Everybody has phone numbers from all over nowadays. Get a fongo number when you need an alberta number or to call out of province and your good to go.....workers related to the oil and energy sectors are from all over.

@claudiakloc 

What plan is your Toronto phone number on? You have options....do you have a dual sim phone? 

You could wait for a good promo and activate an alberta phone number and either drop your toronto number to the $15 plan or keep your current plan and just suspend the account for 88 days and reactivate for 30 days. Suspend it before midnite eastern on your renewal you will keep your voicemail active in case someone doesn't have your alberta numbef.

Pick up a discounted activation bundle with free sim card from CCS before you leave Toronto then you will be ready to pounce on a stackable free (third month) credit. You will be able to get around 6 months of service averaging $7 - $8 per month.

You could get a free voip number from textnow or fongo and use that in addition to your toronto number....giving out either number where appropriate. You could call forward  to your pm number.

More info on how to save with pm and CCS can be found here......

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Retail/CCS-latest-pm-marketing/m-p/644382#M4535

@Yummy  no worry for changing phone number.  You get to keep all the rewards.

I was just saying you will loss them IF you port your number away as the account would be closed after the porting is completed.

There is really no way keep (port) your 416 number to another provider, keeping your plan and change to an AB number

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@claudiakloc 

Let me guess.  You have the grandfathered $120 12GB 90 days plan with provincial calling.  If yes, it is hard to keep the 416 number and keep your current plan.  Your PM account will be canceled after you port your 416 number out for safe keeping. 

If you decided to keep your grandfathered plan, you can get the $5 500 CW minutes add-on.  This option will cost you extra 8% sale tax + add-on minutes cost.

My kids moved to BC and ON and keeping their 403 numbers saving tax for mobile service.  Handing out a out of province number is not that bad.  Most phone plan have CW minutes. 

You can get a free Fongo local number for your Alberta friends to call you.  All you have to do is to configure the Fongo number always call forward to your 416 number or ring the Fongo number and 416 at the same time.

@hTideGnow wrote:

Trying to understand how this work...

Do you lose your rewards, loyalty, whatnot if you are Changing number only. Not porting, just selecting new number (in this case, if possible at all, from ON to AB area code)?

@srlawren wrote:

@claudiakloc unfortunately no.  If you were to port your number to another service to park it, it would immediately close your current Public Mobile account and you'd have to buy a new SIM card and activate a brand new line and choose from the currently available plans.  

SIM cost is the the biggest issue, you can likely get it for free or you can get the $10 off from Friend Referral to offset it.  

It's more that your reward will be lost.  It seems like you have joined couple years and you likely have some Loyalty rewards and possibly friend referrals, they will be all gone if you ported your number out.   

1. Change plan to Canada wide. There is no more province wide plans. Same price, whole country! Do it on 'next renewal'; do not do it 'now'.

2. Select/change number to AB area code.

2.1. If that is not possible, discuss it with MODs they might help you.

2.1.1. Worst case scenario you will need new SIM, then close existing account and open new one.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@claudiakloc : Then you can use the Change Number function and choose your province/city and pick a new number. If you choose an AB number then you save some taxes if you use autopay/pre-registered payment card.

That 416 number might be coveted by people though 🙂

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@claudiakloc wrote:

And in that case, I'd love to be able to port/transfer my Toronto number to storage – is that possible? 

@claudiakloc unfortunately no.  If you were to port your number to another service to park it, it would immediately close your current Public Mobile account and you'd have to buy a new SIM card and activate a brand new line and choose from the currently available plans.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

claudiakloc
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I want to change my number though... I feel embarrassed giving out my 416 number in Alberta and not feeling like a local lol 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@claudiakloc   They are now all Canada Wide Calling plan, you can change it, they are the same price.

As for the phone number, once you changed to Canada Wide Plan, it would make no difference to you, you would be calling any number in Canada for free. 

But.. there is still advantage to change your number to a Alberta number.  You will get taxed based on Alberta rate (cheaper).  Also, I supposed that you will have from friends, business from Alberta calling you, you might want to get an Alberta number so they can call you for free.  (of course, once you changed, your Ontario friends will be calling you Long Distance unless they have free Canada calling)

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@claudiakloc 

Province wide talk is based on the province you are in....so in Alberta you can call within Alberta. You would purchase the $5/500 min add on if you needed call outside of the province.

You can certainly take your number with you to Alberta but you take the taxes too....but if you pay by voucher then you will only pay 5% gst on the vouchers purchased in Alberta.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You could buy a long distance add-on $5 for 500 minutes Canada wide calling.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/province-wide-talk-and-long-distance-add-ons

Need Help? Let's chat.