cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting from Public Mobile back to Fido

ali47
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I originally ported from Fido to Public Mobile, and now I'm trying to port from Public Mobile back to Fido. Has anyone else done this before and encountered an issue where the number is still regarded as a Fido number? I was told by a Fido rep who tried to help me with the port that there is an issue where the number I wanted to port shows up as an inactive Fido number.

[As discovered, incoming transfers must be managed by new carrier ...... Luddite]

16 REPLIES 16

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@ali47 Thanks for taking the time to update us. 👍👍

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

ali47

Just giving an update in case anyone runs into the same issue in the future and finds this thread.

The issue was not with the number of details given to Fido CSR; the phone number and account number are sufficient. The issue was on Fido's end as I confirmed with a PM mod that my number was active with PM. Apparently whatever happened is a known issue with porting from Fido to PM, and then back to Fido. Ultimately, it will take a while for a separate team at Fido to handle the issue with the number itself before CSR can request the port once the number becomes eligible.

@ali47 wrote:

@popping wrote:

@ali47 wrote:

Yes, I have done all of those steps... the issue is that the Fido rep states that according to them, the number isn't showing as active with Public Mobile.

Call your PM number from another phone. 

Is your phone with PM number rings?

If yes, ask Fido CSR to call your phone number to be ported.  When your phone ring, answer the call and tell Fido CSR that your PM account is active.

What info you gave Fido to port out your PM number?

You need only the following info:

1.  PM Number to be ported

2.  PM Account number

3.  The name on your PM account.

Don't give Fido more info.  The more you give them that is more chance of typo for Fido CSR to type in wrong info. Call Fido to port again.

Yep, the number definitely works as I had my partner call me a few times to make sure the original port from Fido to PM was successful. 

I've only given Fido my PM account number and the phone number to port so far. 

I sent the Moderator Team a message to ask if there was any insight I could get after trying to contact Fido again, e.g. port protection, as per their suggestion.

Thanks to everyone for weighing in so far! I suspected the cycle thing as @will13am suggests... unfortunately, I would rather not wait another cycle since I'm already paying for the newly activated Fido plan as it is... I might just end up using a new number after all to avoid this hassle.

It would only cost $15+tax to keep the account active for porting.  I don't know what plan you have now, but all you need is the cheapest plan to keep the account alive.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ali47 wrote:

That was your problem.  You need 3 pieces of info to port a number from a provider to another provider.  I am wondering why Fido CSR only ask for 2 pieces of info.  That CSR may assume that you are using the same name for both accounts.

Call Fido to port again.

tabi159w
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You may have to get a new number in this scenario. Again, like others have said, make sure your PM account is active before porting. 

ali47

@popping wrote:

@ali47 wrote:

Yes, I have done all of those steps... the issue is that the Fido rep states that according to them, the number isn't showing as active with Public Mobile.

If yes, ask Fido CSR to call your phone number to be ported.  When your phone ring, answer the call and tell Fido CSR that your PM account is active.

2.  PM Account number

Don't give Fido more info.  The more you give them that is more chance of typo for Fido CSR to type in wrong info. Call Fido to port again.

Yep, the number definitely works as I had my partner call me a few times to make sure the original port from Fido to PM was successful. 

I sent the Moderator Team a message to ask if there was any insight I could get after trying to contact Fido again, e.g. port protection, as per their suggestion.

Thanks to everyone for weighing in so far! I suspected the cycle thing as @will13am suggests... unfortunately, I would rather not wait another cycle since I'm already paying for the newly activated Fido plan as it is... I might just end up using a new number after all to avoid this hassle.

ali47

@computergeek541 wrote:

@ali47 

If your go back to a Fido postpaid account plan, they might offer your a winback promotion to come back. Are there some issues with the Public Mobile service that are causing you to consider this?

That's pretty much what happened since I ported a Fido number to Public Mobile, someone from Fido was able to call me via that number to make a win back offer. The offer suited what I needed at the moment with a fair price for 24 months. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ali47 wrote:

2.  PM Account number

@ali47 

If your go back to a Fido postpaid account plan, they might offer your a winback promotion to come back. Are there some issues with the Public Mobile service that are causing you to consider this?

@ali47 wrote:

I sense that since you have not gone a full plan cycle, the Fido system is still not fully updated on the the fact the number has been ported out and thus is eligible to be ported back in.  Stay a full plan cycle and try again on the second cycle.  Alternatively, talk to someone at Fido tech support.  They might be able to do some resets on their end to update their database.

ali47

When you are ready give Fido the name on the account, the number to port and your PM account number @ali47 .

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@ali47 

Then just remember to do your port request on Fido's site a few days before your payment due date on Public Mobile.

I also suggest you log into your self serve account and remove your credit card if you're on auto-pay.

To do so click "Payment" then bottom left. "Manage my card".

Screenshot_20200124_073012.jpg

Once you intialize the port request on Fido's website that's all you have to do. Fido system will notify PM that you left and your PM account will be closed.

Sorry to see you go 

ali47

@Jb456

Yes, my Public Mobile account is still active and the number is still active as well. I still have a few weeks left until the next cycle as well.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@ali47 if they already have it, ask them to reactivate and give it to you when you activate with them. Sorry to see you go. Stay safe. 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

You must ensure your public mobile account is active and in good standing to port your number to another provider.

If your account has not been paid and in suspended status it will not let you port until you bring it back to good standing. PM only allows ports of suspended accounts to Telus and Koodo since PM is owned by Telus who also owns a Koodo.

Is your account active?

Regarding Fido number I never read an issue like that.. the number is always from the place you first got it 

I guess yours was Fido..when you ported here Fido release the number to PM. Now you're porting back to Fido so as long as PM account is in good standing do your port request on Fido's site then PM will release the number back to Fido.

Need Help? Let's chat.