cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting Land Line Number

Koombassi
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hello Folks. So, I've read a few of the Community responses to this question and I'm seeking uptodate information on the correct procedure for the following scenario: 

My wife has just acquired a new IPhone. We don't have a SIM card as yet. My initial plan was to activate her new account with PM and generate a PM telephone number. Then, in a little bit we will likely cancel our service with Telus. At that point I would like to port our existing landline number to PM, thus eliminating the newly setup PM number. That's the plan. Now, is it doable?

Are there restrictions or pitfalls in doing this? I recall reading a Community response advising against porting a landline due incompatibility issues; hence my enquiry to your experienced and wizened minds! Thanks for your help. 

11 REPLIES 11

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Koombassi 

Here's the thread I keep updated on the latest offers by CCS. The latest promo over and above their regular activation bundle savings ended today. I suspect they will offer their own flash sale or pm will have another promotion in the very near future. Sign up for emails or keep abreast of my updates to my thread.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Retail/CCS-latest-pm-marketing/m-p/644382#M4535

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Koombassi : aka a company. They often put on promos so they get a lot of attention around here. Canadian Cell Supplies.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Koombassi wrote:

@darlicious 
This is very helpful information, thank you. Could you kindly remind me who CCS is?

@Koombassi 

CCS is they are store visit Here link,

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Koombassi wrote:

Hello Folks. So, I've read a few of the Community responses to this question and I'm seeking uptodate information on the correct procedure for the following scenario: 

My wife has just acquired a new IPhone. We don't have a SIM card as yet. My initial plan was to activate her new account with PM and generate a PM telephone number. Then, in a little bit we will likely cancel our service with Telus. At that point I would like to port our existing landline number to PM, thus eliminating the newly setup PM number. That's the plan. Now, is it doable?

Are there restrictions or pitfalls in doing this? I recall reading a Community response advising against porting a landline due incompatibility issues; hence my enquiry to your experienced and wizened minds! Thanks for your help. 

Hello @Koombassi 

I ported a Bell landline to Public Mobile. I did the porting through the PM SIM card activation online, and it went smoothly.

Note, landlines can take around 7 days to completely port over, but usually less.

Incoming calls are usually the last to port over.

DO NOT cancel your account with Telus. When all services are working on your PM SIM card the port should be complete.

Of course, if you wanted to activate the Public Mobile SIM card for your wife with a new number, then request the port of the Telus landline at a later date, you can do that to.

To request a port of a phone number on an existing Public Mobile account, you can do that yourself on your (wife's) Self Serve account.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Totally doable.  Many people has been moving landlines to Mobile

Just make sure you don't have any home alarm system that needs a landline.  (There are still workarounds but will be extra cost)

Make sure you remember that it will take 3 to 5 business for a landline transfer (could be longer in some odd situation)

Koombassi

@Anonymous 

The existing landline is a Telus copper wire line. 

Koombassi

@darlicious 
This is very helpful information, thank you. Could you kindly remind me who CCS is?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Koombassi : Is that a real actual physical copper wire landline? Or one of those Wireless Home Phones? Or Optik? The WHP would be easy as it uses a SIM. The others would just take the time.

@Koombassi

Very doable. As in the past I have recommended CCS for the additional savings with an activation bundle. Once you have set up the new account and you are ready port use the change number function in the self serve account. Once you initiate the port have whomever is the account holder call the landline provider, verify and verbally approve the port request.

The port will generally take up to 2 days to complete (sometimes up to 7 days but should be sooner rather than later with telus). The pm sim card can be used for outgoing calling if needed and the landline will continue to work for incoming (and outgoing) until the port completes then services on the landline will cease and the landline account will be cancelled and closed. Any unused portion of that months billing period will be prorated and refunded minus any additional billing.

@Koombassi wrote:

I recall reading a Community response advising against porting a landline due incompatibility issues; hence my enquiry to your experienced and wizened minds! Thanks for your help. 

There are no further restrictions compared to cellular phone nunbers for porting a landline number.  It simply takes longer.

Need Help? Let's chat.