cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port protection

laceydawn81
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm not impressed. I found out today u can get ur phone company to add port protection on ur phone for free so hackers cant take ur number n get all it info like emails banking etc.  I made a ticket asking  public Mobile to do this for me and the response  was  this.. (in the pic I attached.) Now what dont make sense is the person that told me about this is with public Mobile n they did it for her so why not me?  Should I keep making a ticket asking till someone does it? (Thinking bout switching conpanies) ugh 

Screenshot_20200925-002459_Samsung Internet.jpg

10 REPLIES 10

@laceydawn81 wrote:

Then how come the person that told me bout this is with public Mobile n they did it for her?

@laceydawn81 I think we are missing something here. If your friend works for public mobile, ask her who she had to speak to (online of course) and what exactly they did for her as their position in your reply received is the official one and contrary to what your friend seems to have told you.

It is worth noting that just because your number has been ported out by the bad guys doesn't necessarily mean doom and gloom. As stated earlier as well as in numerous threads, there are ways to protect yourself online, the biggest one IMHO, DO NOT USE YOUR PHONE NUMBER FOR 2FA OR PASSWORD RESETS, EVER.

Here is a post I did awhile ago on this that you might find interesting;

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/pretty-sure-i-got-hacked/m-p/58507...

laceydawn81

Then how come the person that told me bout this is with public Mobile n they did it for her?

@ccdevmike the sim swap hacks are because of a security breach. I asked for the same thing and got the exact same reply from the same mod lol. I guess Fatima is handling the port protection area.

at the moment the best defense against a sim swap is to change your account password

create an email strictly for public mobile(contact mods to change it for you)
change your name and address on your self serve account
don't use your personal email password for the pm website
don't use a password manager(chrome, safari, etc. browsers
don't use your cellphone number as a 2fa for banks, PayPal etc

@ccdevmike wrote:

@JoyLuck 

So slightly different than your real name?

Yes, the threads say slightly different is fine. You can search the community forum using the term “port protection” to see what others have to say about changing the name.

ccdevmike

@JoyLuck 

So slightly different than your real name?

@ccdevmike 

From reading some of the threads in the community, a recommendation is to change your name in your self service account to something different so there is a name mismatch. (Scooby Doo, Mickey Mouse, etc)

ccdevmike

What is the best way to combat this theft then? Does it only seem to happen when porting over a phone number or can it happen anytime?

@laceydawn81 wrote:

I'm not impressed. I found out today u can get ur phone company to add port protection on ur phone for free so hackers cant take ur number n get all it info like emails banking etc.  I made a ticket asking  public Mobile to do this for me and the response  was  this.. (in the pic I attached.) Now what dont make sense is the person that told me about this is with public Mobile n they did it for her so why not me?  Should I keep making a ticket asking till someone does it? (Thinking bout switching conpanies) ugh 

Screenshot_20200925-002459_Samsung Internet.jpg

There is currently no form of port out protection at Public Mobile, so there's no way to add it.

As for the response from the moderators, it's actually correct. They will be introducing this text messagge. They actually did at one point, but then ceased doing it.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@laceydawn81 wow, that's interesting. Thanks for sharing!

ccdevmike

Kinda a scary thought! Maybe there is a app that helps with this protection? 

Need Help? Let's chat.