cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor voice quality, poor sound

Talky
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The voice quality on calls seems to be worse than before.  There is a lot of echo and distortion on my end and people I call say my voice sounds shrill and garbled and have said the quality changes during the phone call from bad to worse to bad again.  The PM voice quality was never that great, but has anyone else noticed it has degraded?

29 REPLIES 29

@darlicious 

Sorry to decide point you but I think the post by that member is wonderful, as usual.   Good luck digging for that solution in all great information 👍.

I'll give it a shot after dinner 🥣🥣🥣

@walker1 

You have to read to learn. I knew diddley squat about cell phones when I joined the community. I learned by reading. When there is an issue with iPhones since I use Android I Google the issue and read to see if I can find the fix. It is not helpful to be sarcastic with @Anonymous when she has supplied links in a concise, short and helpful post. Try and be kind and encouraging to fellow members when they supply good info in a post.

That's a lot of reading 🙂.  Oh well...

I think I'll pass on that, but good luck though.

@hartpm 

If you haven't already, then you should give it a try and see if that fixes the problem. To enable this feature on your iPhone, go to Settings-> General-> Accessibility-> Phone Noise Cancellation, then make sure it is enabled or turned on. If not, tap the switch next to Phone Noise Cancellation to turn the feature off.

hartpm
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hartpm 

can you try reseat the SIM card and Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

1. power off your device

2. take out the SIM card,

3. waiting a 1 minute

4. put it back and power on,

5. toggling airplane mode off/on,  

can you try manually selecting network "3G ONLY"

for iPhone visit Here link 

or Here link 

and do Rebooting your phone ,This is quick and simple,to refreshing your network,

*what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

@hartpm, Have you tried the test call numbers in this previous post?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Poor-voice-quality-poor-sound/m-p/...

Then you can hear what people are talking about yourself.

Try to see if it also happens using speakerphone, wired headset, bluetooth, etc. If it happens with all of those you can start blaming the network in your location. Then try from outside and other locations and see if it persists.

@hartpm 

What model of iPhone do you have?

hartpm

I am having a similar problem, people tell me my voice is skipping words, they only hear half of a sentence, also I sound like a robot. I had my phone replaced by Apple same issue.

Maybe @wakeup went to sleep. 😉

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@srlawren wrote:

@wakeup okay sorry if this is a dumb question but I don't think it's been asked of you yet: did you try rebooting your phone?  What brand and model is your phone?  

@wakeup waiting to hear back from you so we can try to help you further.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

LoreckAvery
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I have this issue intermittently. When it happens I only have 1 bar of service so I move elsewhere. I have noticed it a lot more frequently the last month now that you have mentioned it. 

@wakeup 

Try calling the Vancouver or Toronto test numbers listed on this page to test your voice quality:

https://thetestcall.blogspot.com/

It allows you to record yourself talking, then press # to play it back.  Test this from your home, and also somewhere else outdoors and/or a different area of the city to see if its affecting one particular area or not.

Also test with speakerphone, and a headset or bluetooth to try to rule out if it is the internal microphone or speaker in your phone.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@wakeup okay sorry if this is a dumb question but I don't think it's been asked of you yet: did you try rebooting your phone?  What brand and model is your phone?  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

I am here for almost 2 years but i am only a deputy majoy.. I don't see any different in call quality...

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@Naepalm wrote:

Now a quick question. Have you started smoking more? if so stop! J/K. 

I have not noticed any voice issues I have been with Public for only a week. 

I guess someone that has been here a week and is a mayor....

While not likley in most cases, it is possible. Soemone could come here to look around and ask a few questions before becoming a customers. However, what makes it unlikely has to do with if someone would put that much time into this Community if not earning a Community reward discount.

@Naepalm wrote:

I guess someone that has been here a week and is a mayor....

@wakeup wrote:

Incoming and outgoing voice has degraded suddenly around february 2021.

My smartphone now sounds like a phone made with 2 tin cans joined with a taut string.

I do wonder if Telus and Bell could possibly be repurposing some spectrum that is currently being used for HSPA.  That could be reducing the amount of HSPA network capacity.

wakeup

Incoming and outgoing voice has degraded suddenly around february 2021.

My smartphone now sounds like a phone made with 2 tin cans joined with a taut string.

trgtrg2020
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Public Mobile is on the Telus and Bell Network. This means call quality should be the best available in Canada. Possible reasons for poor quality could be the device, SIM, area, or could be that the nearest cell tower is malfunctioning. I recommend asking a friend who's also on PM and find out if they too are experiencing the exact same issue; this way you narrow down its not the phone or sim. It's also best to email an MOD and request an investigation. 

groupielove4me
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

You're right. The quality was so bad trouble hearing with any form of listening (speaker, regular and even with wired and wireless headphones. Plus of course the internet data was so slow that i got lost using google maps as it could not tell my exact location, finally, sometimes when i called some numbers, it gave me a bunch of random numbers and said the number i called does not exist.

I had to move to someone else with better service.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@Talky maybe it is a sign for you to get a new phone. Who doesn't like a new phone?

I myself am a former iPhone lover until I couldn't afford it anymore. But, if you have a points card that gives an iPhone away even better. My wife got an iPhone from her Visa Rewards and she loves it as she was a Samsung user. Most of her family uses iPhones, so it made sense to get her an iPhone than an Android.

I myself switched to Android and picked Asus phones because of the camera and dual Sims because am too cheap to get a bigger drive space phone. If the iPhone had the dual sim cards, I be all over that! But, you pick what is best for you too. Or what's affordable too. 

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Talky Strange, I don't experience any difficulties with calls. Try restarting phone and call again? 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Talky  One suggestion you might want to try is to use your devices speakerphone next time it happens. If the quality improves that would suggest a hardware issue. If not, then must be the network.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I would say phone, I was with freedom it was very, choppy, PM is clear, its Telus network, so phone in my opinion.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Talky , I have not experienced any change in voice quality in recent times.  I have seen comments about connectivity issues.  Are you having any of those?  Could it be something with the phone?  Are you using an externally connected device to the phone that may be failing?  Lots of possibilities.  

Anyway, I doubt there is anything wrong with the account as previously suggested.  No point fiddling around with that.  

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Talky  please place your SIM card into another phone so that we can see if it is a phone or PM problem. Thanks. If you find that it's not the phone, try these tricks to reset your phone service. You could try in order:
1. Restarting your phone. Turn your phone off, wait 30 seconds and restart.
2.Putting your phone on aeroplane mode for 5 minutes. Take it off and restart.
3.From your self service account enable the lost/ stolen feature log out, wait 5  minutes, log in and take it off. Log out and restart your phone.
4. Add a one time payment and of $2 To your account and restart your phone .

If these tricks don't work contact a moderator and ask them to reset your SIM. Click on the green questionmark in the white circle at the bottom right of your screen.  This connects to the autobot Simon.  Type moderator and follow the prompts to get to one (CLICK on "Account specific question" and  "No I want a human" and "Submit a ticket Click me!")
Once connected, you will be asked to log in again with your community user name and password.  Please do, this allows you to continue and send your message.
Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent. Also keep an eye on the envelope, the mods answer will show up there.
You can also enable email notification to receive a private message notification sent to your email.
Go into your community account > my settings > PREFERENCES > Private Messenger > enable "Receive email notifications for new private messages" > Save

Stay safe 

Need Help? Let's chat.